Quantcast

The last movie you watched... and score out of ten - Part 2

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Hathor

stolen child
CARMEN (2003)

Spanish adaptation of the opera (not a musical movie).

Wow....very good. Paz Vega plays "Carmen" and she's damn good at it. I really liked the movie, didn't love it enough to buy it, so 8/10.

Recommended if you like foreign films.

zimzum

district 9 gets a 9 from me. Would give it a ten but there were a couple of plot holes.

Mathias

SAMCRO
Lakeview Terrace- 7/10

It was an ok movie but it kind of fell apart at the end.

northwestbbw

Let the Right One In

it was an interesting movie.....Id probably give it a 9/10
the story was really good and intriguing but by the end I wasn't sure how to feel about the movie as a whole.

Its a Swedish film so you have to read subtitles which wasn't too bad because there wasn't a bunch of dialog that was hard to keep up with.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

olwen

Disco Bear
"District 9" 9.5/10:

This is definitely going into my Top 10 for 2009.

I don't even know how to approach a concise review for this. "D9" works on so many levels. Just see it.
District 9: 10/10

Such an amazing movie.
district 9 gets a 9 from me. Would give it a ten but there were a couple of plot holes.
Yep yep, 10/10. I didn't see plot holes, I did however see a lot of questions after this movie was over, namely will there be a District 10? Meanwhile my friend loved that there were so many questions.

bdog

Yep yep, 10/10. I didn't see plot holes, I did however see a lot of questions after this movie was over, namely will there be a District 10? Meanwhile my friend loved that there were so many questions.
I didn't see plot holes, but I did see a few things that I thought were implausible, even in a semi sci-fi universe. 9/10.

Isa

In search of....
Frozen River - 9/10 - Loved it - never though I'd be "rooting" for Illegal Alien Smugglers.
Frozen River is an incredible movie and I agree about rooting for the smugglers in the end.

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
Let the Right One In

it was an interesting movie.....Id probably give it a 9/10
the story was really good and intriguing but by the end I wasn't sure how to feel about the movie as a whole.

Its a Swedish film so you have to read subtitles which wasn't too bad because there wasn't a bunch of dialog that was hard to keep up with.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/
Agreed. This film got under my skin.

The last section of the film is uncomfortable (how do you define statutory rape w/r/t vampires?). Still, isn't the honest ambiguity of "Let the Right One In" better than the dishonesty of "Twilight"?

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
Inglorious Bastards 10/10

I haven't been much of a Quentin Tarantino fan for the past few years. I thought "Kill Bill" had a slew of interesting moments, but that it was equally overindulgent and dull. "Death Proof" was 20 minutes of fun; 50 minutes of blather.

So, I was very surprised that I loved every minute of Inglorious Bastards. I'm not going to spoil a single plot point for you except to say that I went into the theater expecting one of Tarantino's typical B-movie mash-ups (which at times it is, beautifully so) and ended up watching something much more interesting: a cathartic alternate history of WWII, a sophisticated suspense film, worthy at least of DePalma, but fast approaching Hitchcock), a convincing Euro-centric take of WWII, a survey course on European film, and a fascinating examination of identity.

Of note:

Brad Pitt doesn't get as much screen time as you would expect, but he delivers his best performance since "12 Monkeys".

Christoph Waltz, a German actor I've never heard of, tops Javier Bardem for best villain ever. He will be nominated for an Oscar. This guy is amazing.

Eli Roth, the director of those nasty "Hostel" films, actually gives a pretty solid performance. Say what you want about Tarantino; he knows how to get good performances.

Weirdly, the most suspenseful shots of pastry I've seen.

Finally, this film is notable for having one of the most satisfying endings ever.

frankman

The Eternal Cowboy
Of note:

Brad Pitt doesn't get as much screen time as you would expect, but he delivers his best performance since "12 Monkeys".
I haven't seen the movie yet, but in the trailers and fragments I have seen, every time Brad Pitt says the word Nazi it cracks me up. He pronounces it like "netsy", but with feeling. It's just really funny.

jewels_mystery

Urban Hippie
the collector 9/10
Orphan 7/10 bit odd
Star trek 09 10/10 Loved it
Drag me back to hell 2/10-Awful!!
Transformers 2- 7/10

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Gran Torino...A hash of corn and ham...Dirty Harry eats at 4:30 PM. A load of cliches. A herky-jerky mess of growls and worn lectures, that are not profound, or makes one think about anything but the fact that I had no popcorn. And people mock overblown dramas on Lifetime? *G* I felt kind of embarrassed for old Clint. If you like everything chewed for you and deposited into your brain, you will love this clunker. 4/10...being a lil generous.

frankman

The Eternal Cowboy
Gran Torino...A hash of corn and ham...Dirty Harry eats at 4:30 PM. A load of cliches. A herky-jerky mess of growls and worn lectures, that are not profound, or makes one think about anything but the fact that I had no popcorn. And people mock overblown dramas on Lifetime? *G* I felt kind of embarrassed for old Clint. If you like everything chewed for you and deposited into your brain, you will love this clunker. 4/10...being a lil generous.
This was the very first time Clint Eastwood dies on screen. That alone makes it special. I actually really liked the movie, with all its flaws, but I'm intensely biased because I think Clint is the coolest man on earth.

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
This was the very first time Clint Eastwood dies on screen. That alone makes it special. I actually really liked the movie, with all its flaws, but I'm intensely biased because I think Clint is the coolest man on earth.
Ok. To all you people who want to see Eastwood die on screen...fast forward to the end.

BigCutieSteph

Inglorious Bastards 10/10

I haven't been much of a Quentin Tarantino fan for the past few years. I thought "Kill Bill" had a slew of interesting moments, but that it was equally overindulgent and dull. "Death Proof" was 20 minutes of fun; 50 minutes of blather.

So, I was very surprised that I loved every minute of Inglorious Bastards. I'm not going to spoil a single plot point for you except to say that I went into the theater expecting one of Tarantino's typical B-movie mash-ups (which at times it is, beautifully so) and ended up watching something much more interesting: a cathartic alternate history of WWII, a sophisticated suspense film, worthy at least of DePalma, but fast approaching Hitchcock), a convincing Euro-centric take of WWII, a survey course on European film, and a fascinating examination of identity.

Of note:

Christoph Waltz, a German actor I've never heard of, tops Javier Bardem for best villain ever. He will be nominated for an Oscar. This guy is amazing.

Eli Roth, the director of those nasty "Hostel" films, actually gives a pretty solid performance. Say what you want about Tarantino; he knows how to get good performances.

Weirdly, the most suspenseful shots of pastry I've seen.

Finally, this film is notable for having one of the most satisfying endings ever.
I just saw it today and I was blown away. Seriously, 20/10. Brad Pitt was amazing (and not just because he's fun to look at ;))