The One NON-DIMS RELATED Thing Annoying You Most Right Now Part Trois.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
MNM, I'd say your gamer friend is being immature and selfish. Not a capital offense, or even all that uncommon in the age group (when I was in Uni the main aid program was the "Ontario Student Assistance Program" but a lot of people who scored money from it due to circumstances making them look worse off than they really were joked about it as the "Ontario Stereo Assistance Program"). But given that you are going through what you are going through, he is also being insensitive.

I would say call him on it. Tell him that you are not impressed, and that rubbing it in your face is making him look worse to you, not better. Maybe he takes the point and smartens up, or maybe he doesn't. But better to say something and give him a chance before you write him off, I'd think?

There is no question that retail is hard earned money. I think it is one of the toughest ways to make a buck, but the good news is that in the same vein it is great experience in order to deal with any other job.....but hard won experience.

In the short term there isn't much you can do about it. But longer term, having some work experience from this job, you have more chance of landing other things, which may pay at least somewhat better. (just btw, your gaming friend is lucky--my wife worked part time in the library at our University for about seven years, total, all at minimum wage, and the majority of the time was pretty busy. There were slack shifts at times, but those were more the exception than the rule. So....don't say "all library jobs are cushy" but it is the sort of thing to look into)

Anyway, mostly I'm sorry you are busting your butt on the Red Queen's Racetrack, while he is coasting down easy street.

Saoirse

I have a friend whose constantly talking about his LACK of money and yet he refuses to give up what he's doing (freelance journalist) to get a more stable job with a stable income. I know he loves what he does and I wish he could make loads of money, but he's stretched thin. He bounces around apartments, sometimes I dont even know where he's staying. He doesn't have a car, which is ok sometimes, since a lot of his work is done downtown and is usually within walking distance. But sometimes he doesnt have money for food, and when he does have money he spends it on weed and cigarettes mostly. And I know he "borrows" money from his parents, ex-girlfriends and me.

And yet, when I talk about how my $600 every two weeks isnt enough to cover rent, car payment, car insurance, loan payments, and gas (My work commute is about 20 miles, one way), plus things like food, clothes and all that little stuff, he gets all pissed off saying if he made as much as I do (which is only $10/hr) he would be all set and he would have a nice apartment and a car.

He doesnt get it. And I dont get him. :doh:

EMH1701

Ugh. As someone who is going to school for her MBA, I completely agree. It should not be used for gaming money or things that aren't school-related unless one isn't employed and needs it for dormitory expenses -- things of that nature. On the bright side, there will come a time at which he'll have to start paying it off, or it will affect his credit score.

My crazy annoying coworker today decided to tell me that there were free cookies and cake somewhere in the office. Um, considering he was so fat-phobic the other day he thought I shouldn't be eating pears, that makes absolutely no sense. Then I told him I was trying to eat healthy things (which I am, but to be healthy, not to be thin) and he was like, "It won't kill you." He needs to make up his mind. I wonder if he is secretly a feeder or something???

Speaking of pears, I had him set up 2 item codes for pears in the system on the first of Oct. Today I found out he only set up one and forgot about the other. *Head desk*

Fresh is highly time-sensitive and the item dept. who does the work after we do doesn't like us to rush things. Well, unfortunately, I had to manually set up the one code for it and tell them to rush the other one. Then he got all defensive and tried to claim he did it. I told him look, if you put the UPC into screen XYZ in the computer and the item code doesn't come up, you didn't do it. I said I wasn't trying to be mean but obviously he did not correctly follow the process. Ugh. This is not the first time he's done this. I get being new and not knowing some stuff, but not not completing what you were told to do, or telling the person who gave you the assignment that you had too much on your plate and couldn't get it done that day. He's also been told numerous times that if he can't get something done, he's got to tell me. I wish I was actually his supervisor so I could do something about him, but I have no real power over him. I am two levels above him in rank but it really just means I've been there longer and have more experience. I don't have any real authority.

Last edited:

Rojodi

This poop and annoyance machines!

tumblr_nd5atmlbVJ1r5jqq2o1_500.jpg

x0emnem0x

Words.
Ugh. As someone who is going to school for her MBA, I completely agree. It should not be used for gaming money or things that aren't school-related unless one isn't employed and needs it for dormitory expenses -- things of that nature. On the bright side, there will come a time at which he'll have to start paying it off, or it will affect his credit score.

The thing with that though is that it was free money from the government he qualified for, he doesn't really have to pay all of it back I don't think. But yeah, definitely. Like I said, I wish it was more closely monitored. Government aid just makes me mad... some couple came through my lane the other night with $500 worth of groceries and had 3 link cards one with $400 on it... like they were an old couple. Makes me wonder how they got those cards or how much they need that food, how the hell does someone qualify for that much aid?

Saisha

Delphinum natare doces
starting November I'm supposed to start paying back on my $10,000 student loan,

Go to your lender's website and look for a loan deferment form. They often have plans to help low or lower income people - often they will set back any payments due for 6 months and then if you do get back in school before the 6 months are up, the loans are then pushed back automatically until you finish school plus 6 months after that usually.

x0emnem0x

Words.
Go to your lender's website and look for a loan deferment form. They often have plans to help low or lower income people - often they will set back any payments due for 6 months and then if you do get back in school before the 6 months are up, the loans are then pushed back automatically until you finish school plus 6 months after that usually.

There is deferment and forbearance... should I look into the deferment? I will definitely end up doing this, my brother mentioned it to me I just forgot about it.

spiritangel

AmandaClause
I can't seem to shake the blues atm

I should be happy and excited I have cool stuff planned for my birthday for the first time in forever

instead I am dreading the travel and really wishing I could just hide away from the world for a while

EMH1701

The thing with that though is that it was free money from the government he qualified for, he doesn't really have to pay all of it back I don't think. But yeah, definitely. Like I said, I wish it was more closely monitored. Government aid just makes me mad... some couple came through my lane the other night with $500 worth of groceries and had 3 link cards one with $400 on it... like they were an old couple. Makes me wonder how they got those cards or how much they need that food, how the hell does someone qualify for that much aid?

Well, no one told me when I signed up for my FAFSA that I didn't have to pay it all back. If you sign up to do non-profit work, I think they give you a break, but I work for a corporation and can't quit my job due to their policies on taking financial aid from the company.

Maybe they have a lot of grandkids or are buying stuff for a church dinner. Also they could have been preppers, but most preppers disdain govt. aid and would not be using food stamps.

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
Extreme fatigue and general malaise. I think it's due to depression since i don't have any actual symptoms other than just wanting to sleep all day. It's annoying but i still want to succumb to the desire to go back to bed for indefinitely.

Saisha

Delphinum natare doces
There is deferment and forbearance... should I look into the deferment? I will definitely end up doing this, my brother mentioned it to me I just forgot about it.

You want to do the deferment. Definitely look into it soon!

EMH1701

Today my coworker decided to hike quite a ways to where I was located a third of the way or so across the building, supposedly just to say hi. Normally I wouldn't care, but there have been red flags with this guy previously and he seems to be mentally off-kilter. We have IM in the company, e-mail, and phones. There are at least 3 easier ways he could have said hi. No normal person would have walked that far to say hi when they did not have to.

I told him, just in case he had it in his head, that I don't date people 10 years younger than me, much less 15, and also that it is highly frowned upon to flirt with one's coworkers. He claimed he was just being friendly. Ok, that's possible, but it is really, really going out of his way just to say hi. All he had to do was send me a text, and not distract me overly from my work. Grrr. I told him also that we are here to work, not socialize (for the millionth time) and that he should look for his girlfriends and best buddies outside of the workplace.

The people I have told about him so far either think that a. he lacks social skills (which is obvious) or b. that he has a crush on me. I'm fairly sure he has Aspergers or something similar at this point. But he also seems to have OCD, because he's told me several times that he's very scared of making mistakes (to the point where he constantly needs his hand held to do anything). I'm not an expert, but I have read about this because at one time I thought I had Aspergers. No, I just used to have really low self-esteem from being treated like crap by a society that hates overweight people.

Thank goodness I have my remote day back tomorrow. I xferred to this dept. at the end of July, so there is a time period where you don't get remote days.

Last edited:

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
Thank you all for being my shoulder to lean on.

I just can't believe it, though. That man drove by my work, in the AM yesterday, and honked at me. I looked up and saw him looking at me through his vehicle. I'm getting mace. I was told where I can buy some, so I'm gonna be looking for it. This is like straight out of a movie.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. If you have security at work, ask them to walk out to your car with you, and call them from the car if you are walking in at the beginning of your shift. Or ask coworkers if you don't have security. There are also small, person protection alarms that set off a piercing noise by just pulling a pin, and I had a police officer suggest hairspray as an alternative to mace. I know people sometimes mention whistles, but I doubt I'd be able to blow while panicking. Even without any of those things, you could try putting your keys between your fingers for self defense or even just to help yourself feel better. Position them with the jagged edges facing down. I hope that helps.

My annoyance is spine and nerve pain, which doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

Last edited:

Rojodi

Columbus Day weekend? Really? Celebrating someone never set foot on American soil?

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
Niacin flush... I probably won't get back to sleep. I'm not supposed to get up early on Saturday. Grr. Maybe I'll browse Dims..

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
I think it should be very hard to get student loans unless you have an amazing grade point average.

You don't think the prices for tuition and books etc doesn't have something to do with all the people defaulting on loans? I also think if you don't do well with the classes you take or miss a lot of classes that you have to pay a fine.

People are taking advantage of educational opportunities and bleeding the system dry which only makes it harder for future generations. Guess what? Go and upgrade your high school courses. Work at the same time and save some money so you can pay for your first year and see if college is really what you want instead of getting there and racking up thousands of dollars of debt and you still don't know what to do. Hey, there's also the trades. SO MANY jobs. But if you still think a bachelor of arts is going to get you someplace in 2014...haha.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
I think it should be very hard to get student loans unless you have an amazing grade point average.

You don't think the prices for tuition and books etc doesn't have something to do with all the people defaulting on loans? I also think if you don't do well with the classes you take or miss a lot of classes that you have to pay a fine.

People are taking advantage of educational opportunities and bleeding the system dry which only makes it harder for future generations. Guess what? Go and upgrade your high school courses. Work at the same time and save some money so you can pay for your first year and see if college is really what you want instead of getting there and racking up thousands of dollars of debt and you still don't know what to do. Hey, there's also the trades. SO MANY jobs. But if you still think a bachelor of arts is going to get you someplace in 2014...haha.
I don't think you should need to get student loans.

Tuition and fees should be sufficiently subsidized from public funds to enable anyone who reasonably could benefit from higher education to do so. The costs to students should be low enough that working part time and on summer jobs ought to cover it.

It used to be that way, and on the whole it worked out pretty well.

And the point of education shouldn't to be for individuals to get job-training certificates in the form of degrees (though that's a good thing for them), but for society to have a larger group of well-educated citizens.

Last edited:

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
Maybe if people already had good paying jobs I would agree with your last comment, but in this day an age, I would really stress focusing on employment because well educated people are ending up working at fast food jobs with their fat degrees and employed people are doing laps around them and working on their degrees at night and on the weekend.

Enjoyment and "well-educated citizens" are gravy right now. People need jobs to make these "public funds" that you speak of even exist.

It's a whole different world out there.

I wish I could think your way and in a perfect world that's how it would be, but these days that's a pipe dream.

I don't think you should need to get student loans.

Tuition and fees should be sufficiently subsidized from public funds to enable anyone who reasonably could benefit from higher education to do so. The costs to students should be low enough that working part time and on summer jobs ought to cover it.

It used to be that way, and on the whole it worked out pretty well.

And the point of education shouldn't to be for individuals to get job-training certificates in the form of degrees (though that's a good thing for them), but for society to have a larger group of well-educated citizens.

x0emnem0x

Words.
The reason I have to pay back the college is because I dropped out due to medical issues with my back. I ended up in the ER and was in bed for 3 weeks, couldn't be in class and they are all classes you needed to be there for. My back got mildly better and then I got the flu for a week and was in bed throwing up for that entire week. I dropped out because I'd not been to class in almost a month and at the time I was sure that it was before the withdraw date so that I could drop the classes and have it count for them getting their money back - unfortunately I was wrong. Obviously I didn't intend on that happening, considering it frustrates me so much that I want to go back so I can continue my schooling and not be in college when I am 30.

It's really hard to get jobs these days, especially with no experience. I didn't have a job because at 21, the tons of jobs I'd applied for wouldn't call me because I had no previous job experience. Yes I could have gotten a job when I was younger but I didn't fully understand that not having one was going to screw me over in the long run and my mom wasn't the best at really guiding me along. She never explained things, I never got the sex talk, I just learned everything myself. She was the kind of mom that got angry when I asked for homework help, because I interrupted her TV time after working a 12 hour shift, so I kind of learned to try and do everything by myself by the time I got out of junior high. She is not a bad mother by any means, she just wasn't the most informative. Thankfully I landed this decent job so I now have job experience. I was never told really how difficult college can be, how loans worked, what the hell subsidized or subsidized loans were or even how to get a FAFSA. I didn't even plan on going to college right of out high school like I did but it happened and I got a wave of information 5 days before classes started right out of high school. I didn't know what the hell interest is (we learned none of the important stuff in high school and all instead we spent hours learning all of the bullshit we'll never remember or use), and how I'd been screwing myself over by not having a job or anything like that. In high school all they told us was we need to get good scores on our ACT to get into college, which I did. I dunno it's just all so confusing, to me at least. I don't want to sound like I am whining about the fact that I can at least go to college but it's really a lot more complicated than it was 60+ years ago because everything was so much cheaper and there was a hell of a lot more good jobs around. Anyway, this is just my general experience with how things went for me - call me ignorant but I have been completely clueless and just trying to do what's best for myself this entire time and I just keep getting back peddled. It's exhausting. I had a guy come through my lane the other day talking about all these guys he has to teach as a substitute teacher and how we're just wasting our money on them because they don't want to learn, and their parents are just a lost cause. I agree. We waste money on people who don't give a damn about learning and then the people who want to do something with their lives? They've made it pretty much impossible for us, me, them - to get an education. You know, of course, without screwing up your financial situation, render you "too rich" to get financial aid and then give it to assholes who spend it on computers and concert tickets while I could be using that to actually go to class. It's hard - unless of course you're already decently wealthy or have a GREAT paying job somehow, and then they stack tuition up so high and add more thousands in interest.

Last edited:

Latest posts