The One NON-DIMS RELATED Thing Annoying You Most Right Now Part Trois.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Maybe if people already had good paying jobs I would agree with your last comment, but in this day an age, I would really stress focusing on employment because well educated people are ending up working at fast food jobs with their fat degrees and employed people are doing laps around them and working on their degrees at night and on the weekend.
I'm not sure I understand this.
What, exactly, then, are the employed people getting degrees for, then? And, are all these employed people those who got the good grades in high school? If not, why (using your reasoning) should they be allowed to pursue higher education -- after all, they already have jobs!

CleverBomb

On Space Out
New laptop -- going from an obsolete MacBook (Apple discontinued OS support for the chipset) with battery issues that are to be expected after 6 years (it's on it's second battery), to a slightly outdated refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad (allowing me to put off Win8 for a few more years or until MS gives up on pretending that production desktop/laptop machines are iPads, anyhow).

Annoying because I need to start from scratch.
Which means I have to:

Boot Windows, try to authenticate the OS.
Configure the WiFi for my home router and cellphone hotspot (and maybe the school WiFi while I'm at it).
Check the Windows Firewall settings.
Maybe have to try again to authenticate the OS once I get a working internet connection.
Download: Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, AVG, NoScript.
Uninstall or hide bloatware.
Install: Firefox (and enable NoScript), Thunderbird (and configure it for my email accounts), LibreOffice, AVG, and see if my old unused copy of Office will work on Win7. See if Win7 recognizes my old printer.
Import my bookmarks.
Import my old files.
Run a scan with AVG.
Run a scan using whatever security stuff Windows has built in.
See if there's a backup utility to save an image of the cleaned-up drive and OS configuration before I start using the computer.

THEN, finally, I get to use it.
Blah.

Might tackle it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rojodi

People wishing me a "Happy Columbus Day."

Do I freaking look Italian?
Do you not know I am of Indigenous blood?

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
You work so you gain experience at the same time. You work so you don't build up as much student loan. Not sure why you have a hard time figuring that out.

I'm not sure I understand this.
What, exactly, then, are the employed people getting degrees for, then? And, are all these employed people those who got the good grades in high school? If not, why (using your reasoning) should they be allowed to pursue higher education -- after all, they already have jobs!

Rojodi

How would people know that?

Isn't it an American holiday? Aren't you American?

1. Columbus NEVER set foot on what's now the USA
2. People who know I am Mohawk - people that I had to phonetically spell out St. Kateri Tekakwitha - wished me a happy day

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
Wow. People are attempting to be nice to you and you won't have anything to do with it. Haha.

2. People who know I am Mohawk - people that I had to phonetically spell out St. Kateri Tekakwitha - wished me a happy day

Sweetie

Where is the Love?
People who think they have the right to judge other people's choices, and give their opinions when they aren't asked for them.

Green Eyed Fairy

Veteran of a 1000 Psychic Wars
People wishing me a "Happy Columbus Day."

Do I freaking look Italian?
Do you not know I am of Indigenous blood?

Lol Roj, I just find this funny because I have read your complaints about Columbus Day in other threads and it boggles my mind that you know people that say Happy Columbus Day. I have never met anyone in 46 years that has said that to me or near me within ear shot. Nobody around here cares other than postal workers and bank tellers because they get a day off :p

Oh yeah, Happy Screw Columbus Day :bow:

Saisha

Delphinum natare doces
Starting to write out memories of things that deeply bothered me from over my life - something I need and want to do but it's not easy, especially trying to do it in a neutral way - stepping back from the emotions to list facts - but the emotions come out naturally and I don't want to assign blame too much - just understanding why and how everything is interwoven - been doing that for years but putting it on paper - seeing my thoughts - wow....real eye-opener.

Green Eyed Fairy

Veteran of a 1000 Psychic Wars
Starting to write out memories of things that deeply bothered me from over my life - something I need and want to do but it's not easy, especially trying to do it in a neutral way - stepping back from the emotions to list facts - but the emotions come out naturally and I don't want to assign blame too much - just understanding why and how everything is interwoven - been doing that for years but putting it on paper - seeing my thoughts - wow....real eye-opener.

My sage advice? Not that you asked for it... but also make a second list of the good things that have happened in your life. It makes that first list easier to swallow...

Rojodi

Mother Effing Nature.

Yesterday on my way to work, I saw evidence of frost on lawns.
Today, it's in the mid-70s.

She needs to make up her mind!! :eek:

Saoirse

Lol Roj, I just find this funny because I have read your complaints about Columbus Day in other threads and it boggles my mind that you know people that say Happy Columbus Day. I have never met anyone in 46 years that has said that to me or near me within ear shot. Nobody around here cares other than postal workers and bank tellers because they get a day off :p

Yea, I was thinking about that too. I don't ever remember someone wishing me a happy Columbus Day. But Im thinking I might start doing, just to piss people off.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
How would people know that?

Isn't it an American holiday? Aren't you American?

Yea, I was thinking about that too. I don't ever remember someone wishing me a happy Columbus Day. But Im thinking I might start doing, just to piss people off.

Well then.. seems like this card would fit the occasion - though it would be Belated Happy Invaders Day

MjAxMy0yZjM1YjljNWU5N2M0ZGQ1.png

CleverBomb

On Space Out
You work so you gain experience at the same time. You work so you don't build up as much student loan. Not sure why you have a hard time figuring that out.
That still makes little sense. Why is work experience -- possibly at entry level, and likely in an unrelated field -- equivalent to good grades in forecasting academic performance? And it's not like they'd escape student loan debt in the end anyhow, with wages the way they are.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
Seriously? Do you know how many people would rather hire experience over a degree without any experience whatsoever? But hey, maybe that's just in Canada. Haha

That still makes little sense. Why is work experience -- possibly at entry level, and likely in an unrelated field -- equivalent to good grades in forecasting academic performance? And it's not like they'd escape student loan debt in the end anyhow, with wages the way they are.

Rojodi

My question is: Who graduates from college, even a 2-year community one, without interning for at least a semester or a summer?

Latest posts