Quantcast

The One NON-DIMS RELATED Thing Annoying You Most Right Now Part Trois.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

archivaltype

shake n bake
My question is: Who graduates from college, even a 2-year community one, without interning for at least a semester or a summer?
Lots of people do. Students are working part time or full time jobs that are unrelated to their fields because, especially in the arts, internships aren't paid. Big companies want your labor for free...oh, sorry, in exchange for experience, and many smaller companies can't afford to pay an intern. Don't get me wrong here, internships are awesome, getting experience is awesome, meeting cool people is awesome. So you come to a crossroads: take the unpaid internship and have no money to live, or work and have money while going to school and miss out on the experience.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Seriously? Do you know how many people would rather hire experience over a degree without any experience whatsoever? But hey, maybe that's just in Canada. Haha
Then why do they need to go back to school at all in the first place? They have jobs, and you've just said that current employment is all that's needed to get a better job.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I don't think I need to answer this. Seriously.

And I didn't say that it's all you need, but employers take people more seriously if they have actual experience.

Then why do they need to go back to school at all in the first place? They have jobs, and you've just said that current employment is all that's needed to get a better job.

Saoirse

Im annoyed that Im so damn nervous about this weekend. Im going to a Halloween event and Ive heard through a friend that a guy I used to date is going to be there as well. We haven't seen each other in years. He wanted to get serious and I didnt, so we parted ways. I've been told he really wants to see me. I want to see him, but I dont know if the situation will be any different than the last time. sigh

CleverBomb

On Space Out
I don't think I need to answer this. Seriously.

And I didn't say that it's all you need, but employers take people more seriously if they have actual experience.
I think you do. Because what you've said basically comes down to this:
The only people who deserve higher education are those who did very well in high school, or people who currently have jobs -- no matter how they did in high school, and regardless of whether their prior employment has any relation whatsoever to what they plan to study.

Honestly though, this belongs in the Hyde Park forum.
Continue it there if you wish.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
No, that's not was I was basically saying at all. You're reading into it.

I don't wish to continue this anywhere else, i'll agree to disagree.

I think you do. Because what you've said basically comes down to this:
The only people who deserve higher education are those who did very well in high school, or people who currently have jobs -- no matter how they did in high school, and regardless of whether their prior employment has any relation whatsoever to what they plan to study.

Honestly though, this belongs in the Hyde Park forum.
Continue it there if you wish.

ODFFA

I assume it's futile to redirect or correct that?
For the most part, yeah, I feel it is. Sometimes she'll use her age as a very convenient excuse. Like, "we didn't grow up all liberal like you." Actually, she calls me "liberal" quite often, almost as a slur :p

So I've taken to mostly smiling/laughing at her and shaking my head in a kind of lovingly teasing way. At least in doing that I can be both authentic and still relatively pleasant.

x0emnem0x

Words.
Not having money suuuucks. Not only do I not have money, my mom doesn't either. I get paid Thursday but that's barely any money, because I'm part time. Somehow my mom spend all her money and we're just flat broke. We have $60 waterbill due Thursday, need dog and cat food, our cell phones are getting shut up til next week probably. My sister and her boyfriend need to get off the cell account but haven't yet... it's just everything is so hectic now with me working and my sister going to school and 3 different people having to babysit my niece and even still I have to tomorrow for a short time plus working. I'm just cranky today, I didn't sleep well and they had me in work earlier than I am used to which is stinky. I just probably need more sleep... Also this lady was rude and impatient with another lady in front of her taking too long at work today so I wanted to punch her in the face. That is all.

Micara

Living and Learning
My body feels like it's trying to eject my spine, and I can't find the 2 muscle relaxers I saved for a day like this. UGH! I guess I'll be sleeping with Prince NyQuil tonight.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
My ears are plugged up. No other cold symptoms. I just completed a course of corticosteroids and a Z-pack, with a fluticasone nasal inhaler. And its helping a bit. :(

ODFFA

People who can't spell. >:L
Not that I make it my business to call someone out on it directly, but hear, hear! Except when people are trolling. Then their bad spelling makes me very happy :happy:

The two things in this vein that have been bothering me most recently: people not knowing that badass is one word; and that shat is the correct past tense of shit.

Yay for eloquent profanity!

Green Eyed Fairy

Funky Faerie Queene
Not that I make it my business to call someone out on it directly, but hear, hear! Except when people are trolling. Then their bad spelling makes me very happy :happy:

The two things in this vein that have been bothering me most recently: people not knowing that badass is one word; and that shat is the correct past tense of shit.

Yay for eloquent profanity!

wut??? .

Sushi

Bullies. People who think they know more than everyone else, and who rain on other peoples' parade just because they can. People who never have anything nice to say and only look at things from the bad side. People who try to intimidate other people to make themselves feel more important. People who do nothing to lift anyone up, but jump at the chance to put them down. In other words, miserable son-of-a-bitches. I'm not taking any of it from any of them anymore. Fire the first shot at me, and I'm giving it back full force.

lucca23v2

Curves for miles
Ugh.. I have never been a fan of pet names. That being said an ex use to call me sweetheart a the time. Now, i can't even see it in a book because it skeeves me out so bad... UGH!

Latest posts