The One NON-DIMS RELATED Thing Annoying You Most Right Now Part Trois.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Rojodi

Sports fans using "We" when talking about their favorite teams. Seriously, you're not playing for them, nor you're working for them. STOP IT! It makes you look foolish!

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Why has every forecast with some level of snow become an 'event' like 'SNOWMAGEDDON' or 'STORM WATCH 2015!'. Wake me when 6ft is forecast like in Buffalo...

Rojodi

I'm disappointed at myself. My new headphones arrived. They're for digital, and I didn't connect it that I had to fix ALL the equalizers on the devices on which I listen to music: iPod and laptop mostly.

I was ready to scream at the Progeny for getting the wrong ones, then I calmed down and thought: Dumbass, change settings!

Green Eyed Fairy

Veteran of a 1000 Psychic Wars
I have the impression that the help desk person I contacted at Best Buy is a total tool. How in hell does someone so dense survive??

lucca23v2

Curves for miles
I was on vacation for almost 2 weeks... and I was healthy as a horse. going out almost every day....I go back to work for one day and I come home with a sore throat for the weekend. :rolleyes::mad:

CleverBomb

On Space Out
I have the impression that the help desk person I contacted at Best Buy is a total tool. How in hell does someone so dense survive??
They're not there to actually provide help.
They're there so the company can say it has a "help desk".
As such, actual customer service skills are unnecessary, indeed actually a detriment.

EMH1701

My coworker. Sigh. I was gone for two days over Christmas (the Wed. & Fri.). He had been given very clear directions as to what to do to cover for me. The boss & director were copied on them because he has been having issues ever since he came on board. He still cannot properly format and enter UPCs, and he has been with the company for 5 months, just to give you an example of the kinds of issues. He is basically incompetent, but the director does not want to admit that he made a mistake in hiring the guy.

Monday this week, I found out there was something he hadn't done that he did not tell me he hadn't done. Guess who got in trouble for it? Me. Even though I told the manager (not my boss, but a manager nevertheless) that I had been gone those two days, and he was supposed to be covering for me, I still got treated like dirt for it. Absolute dirt.

How is it my fault, exactly, if he was told to flag things red in Outlook that he did not do, and did not follow that instruction? There was one thing flagged red, and that particular item was not it.

Grrr.

I sent my boss a copy of the directions (again) and asked her 1. if I was allowed to take PTO, which had been approved by the director and 2. why I was getting in trouble for something that he was supposed to have done while I was out, and failed to inform me that it was not done. I will see what the response is today, I guess.

I am not a manager. I am a support person. So, again, how is it fair that I was being yelled at for a co-worker's actions when I am not even his manager?

On the bright side, at least this latest incident has been documented. I think the middle manager is on my side, because she was asking me about dates of things that I did to fix issues that he did not take care of properly last week.

x0emnem0x

Words.
The amount of cold in this room/house/state. Illinois -17 windchill GO AWAY. I don't like you. Can't wait to move out of here! Hoping and praying something in that apartment becomes available soon.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
The amount of cold in this room/house/state. Illinois -17 windchill GO AWAY. I don't like you. Can't wait to move out of here! Hoping and praying something in that apartment becomes available soon.
I feel for ya...hope it works out.

I was going to post a similar complaint. Why is Canada so popular again?

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
This is just a random pet-peeve, not Dims-related but related to a different forum I follow.

I'm getting really fatigued by people who complain about "modern technology" and how much better things were before smartphones, iPads, etc. What bollocks.

Ignoring the fact that some sort of modern technology was involved in posting such drivel on an internet forum, there is no law (I think?) stating that you have to use anything modern. There are plenty of old school telephones still floating around out there to use to satisfy your smugness. Enjoy!

I do like "old" things myself aesthetically, but the only thing I would trade modern technology for is more technology.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
The gripe I have with new stuff isn't that it's lacking in some je ne sais quoit, but that it's presented as being revolutionary, as though nothing like it ever existed before and it's completely world-changing.

It's not, except in some limited instances.
The problem is that we forget how things used to be done, then can't imagine how they were done before the newfangled whatsit came along.

Saoirse

This is just a random pet-peeve, not Dims-related but related to a different forum I follow.

I'm getting really fatigued by people who complain about "modern technology" and how much better things were before smartphones, iPads, etc. What bollocks.

Ignoring the fact that some sort of modern technology was involved in posting such drivel on an internet forum, there is no law (I think?) stating that you have to use anything modern. There are plenty of old school telephones still floating around out there to use to satisfy your smugness. Enjoy!

I do like "old" things myself aesthetically, but the only thing I would trade modern technology for is more technology.
I am kinda one of those people. I understand how exciting and advanced our technology is becoming and yes, i do love fucking around on the internet, but with all this awesome sci-fi shit, we're losing our sense of common courtesy and compassion for others.

I HATE cell phones, I hate people constantly being on their cell phones and I hate spending time with someone who would rather mindlessly flip from app to app then talk with me.

And "old school telephones" are quickly becoming obsolete. There is ONE pay phone in my area. Its attached to a locked up forest ranger station, in a closed state park. The only person I can think of who has a LAND LINE/HOUSE PHONE is my dad.

Very unfortunately, I had to get a cell phone for my new job, but its a silly flip with no internet access. Its in my pocket or in my purse and I only look at it when I get a message/call. I paid $15 for the phone and my payment per month is only $10 with my dad's plan.

lucca23v2

Curves for miles
Saoirse... i still have a home phone.. land line. Although everything here has changed from analog to digital so it is not like the old time landlines.
But I kept my house phone. We all have cells, but I rather give a home number for things instead of my cell. I hate the idea of people being able to reach me easily.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Further to my post from above. There was another thread started on that other forum earlier today about the same topic again. Among the lengthy list of things that poster railed against was non-stick frying pans, and why DVD's (!) are not better than VHS tapes...

To each their own, but...Yeah, I'm just going to delete that bookmark now. Cheers everyone!

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
I keep a home phone as well. I don't have voicemail though, but it makes my Mother happy. Haha

Saoirse... i still have a home phone.. land line. Although everything here has changed from analog to digital so it is not like the old time landlines.
But I kept my house phone. We all have cells, but I rather give a home number for things instead of my cell. I hate the idea of people being able to reach me easily.

Latest posts