Quantcast

The Pioneer Woman Cooks

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
I too love Monkey Bread. I also LOVE cream cheese. So when Paula Deen did a show making Gorilla Bread I had to try it. It was basically Monkey Bread except you fill the little dough balls with a hunk of cream cheese.

Sounds easy and delicious, right? Not so much. Tons of extra work and it actually took away from the Monkey Bread flavor aspect of it all. So since then I have stuck to the Monkey Bread.

Miss Vickie

I have never had this monkey bread of which you speak, but being a total sucker for a sexy food pic, after seeing Mszwebs' pics, I'm going to have to try it. Wow. Just.... wow. And like you, mszwebs, even though I'm more a savory gal than a sweets gal, I make a huge exception for that butter/cinnamon/sugar combo. Gets me every time. :eat2:

I'll definitely be making this on my first day off.

CrankySpice

Unwashed.
There are certain things I love at PWC and others that I just hate.

The olive cheese bread was just so rich, I couldn't eat much of it. I think it absolutely must be served with something really REALLY light, like an undressed romaine salad. I felt sick after eating 2 pieces. Not because it tasted bad, but because the entire combination of flavors/ingredients just overwhelmed my stomach. And you had better have a deep, deep, deep love for olives because it is extraordinarily olive-y.

The other dish of hers that I didn't take to was the lasagna. I'm actually shocked that people here liked it. It is the only meal I have cooked in my life that I have thrown away because it was just that bad. It was so overly salty it literally made me gag and dry heave. I've never tasted a worse lasagna in my entire life. And believe me, I like salty foods - but this was just like eating...straight salt with a smidge of tomato and noodles. Truly disgusting, IMO.

NOW, on the other hand - Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich and his Second Favorite Sandwich are among my favorite sandwiches of all time. I prepare one or both whenever I have company for lunch. They are both extremely flavorful and easy to make. LOVE them.

Regardless of whether or not you like her recipes, it is a cooking blog that is an absolute delight to read. She is an extraordinarily talented and funny writer. I'd love to know her in real life. As long as I don't have to eat the lasagna.

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
I'm glad to know that I am not the only person who thought the olive bread "too" much as well. Too rich and too olive-y (great word CS). And I love olives. But I do enjoy her and will keep trying her other recipes.

OneWickedAngel

Untamed Woman...
I have never heard of this site (ducks head) but I will be cooking from it very soon. Talk about O. M. G. !!!!:eek::eek:

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I'm making the beef and mushroom stew for dinner tonight. Sounds like good blizzard night food. If it comes out OK, I'll take pics!! LOL

katorade

I made her short ribs and polenta recipe a while ago. I changed the polenta a bit and added grated manchego cheese instead of goat cheese and added a little thyme. We also used boneless short ribs.

OMG was it ever good. The meat just wanted to fall apart as soon as you touched it and it even got better on day 2. It would probably have been even better on day 3 if we hadn't eaten it all.:blush:

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I'm making the beef and mushroom stew tonight. I'm not a big beef eater, but it sounds yummy.

I also got the ingredients to make the Simple, Hearty White Chili that was featured on the site yesterday.
What did you think of the beef and mushroom stew? I love it. I love that it's not in a thick gravy like stew. man, so yummy

rainyday

Departed
What did you think of the beef and mushroom stew? I love it. I love that it's not in a thick gravy like stew. man, so yummy
I did love it! I had it over mashed taters and I think if I serve it that way again I'll thicken it up a little. Over noodles though the gravy would be perfect just as is. Very tasty!

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I did love it! I had it over mashed taters and I think if I serve it that way again I'll thicken it up a little. Over noodles though the gravy would be perfect just as is. Very tasty!
ooohhh over mashed tatos sounds delish! I was thinking I might try it over rice next time but I like the tato idea even better :eat2:

MisticalMisty

Has anyone omitted or substituted anything for the red wine in the stew recipe? I hate the taste...and we don't drink..so I'd hate to waste a bottle. I know most people use stock/broth..but just wondering if it will still have the depth of flavors with the sub.

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
Has anyone omitted or substituted anything for the red wine in the stew recipe? I hate the taste...and we don't drink..so I'd hate to waste a bottle. I know most people use stock/broth..but just wondering if it will still have the depth of flavors with the sub.
I actually used cooking sherry instead. Its def not the same as red wine, but I used half the amount it calls for and more broth for the other half :)

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
You might try using about a tablespoon (or two) of red wine vinegar with beef broth to equal the amount of red wine in the dish. I use red wine vinegar all the time when I make beef dishes. It helps to break down the fibers in the meat and give it a sharper flavor.

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher
*subscribes*​

I made the short rib recipe this weekend and it was delish! I did it exactly as described only I did not use any pancetta. I just sauted the veggies in butter. Where I'm from you don't make ANYTHING without garlic so I added crushed garlic to the mix and sliced up some daikon to compliment the carrots. Also I did not braise the meat beforehand. I just added a pinch of salt and pepper then put the short ribs in frozen before I covered and popped the dutch in the oven. The smell of fresh rosemary was mesmerizing. The amount of wine it called for put me off a bit but the meal came out fine. I'm sensitive to alcohol too but this burned off really well. I nearly couldn't stop eating it was so yummy. A staple!

MLadyJ

Traci...I had heard of PWcooks but never visited the website. Thanks for the link...I think I'm going to need more printer paper and ink real soon...OMG her stuff looks really good and she is very down to earth..funny too!

Latest posts