The Thread for Random Single Confessions Part ... I don't know what Part

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MattB

Epicurean
What're your signature touches? Are you one of those people who use mayonnaise? I've never gotten around to trying that. But I like to mix-up my cheeses, maybe add in one that's not so conventional.
My skill is in overall execution, the balance of meltiness inside and golden crispiness outside. I'm a traditionalist for the most part and prefer not to do anything too crazy, but lately I've gravitated towards using havarti cheese slices. They add a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the proceedings. I always experiment with different ingredients (ie: "what is in the fridge I can melt into this sandwich?") but I always prefer traditional. Always real butter for the outside too.

I'm also of the school of thought that the art of grilled cheese is to avoid the temptation to overdo the cheese. There's a certain structural integrity that needs to be respected, particularly in regards to dipping.

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
I agree that overall execution is crucial. But I do enjoy some unconventional variations. Namely:

1. Egg in a basket grilled cheese. The combination of the melty cheese, crispy bread, and runny egg yolk. Oh god.

2. Sprinkling the bread with cinnamon. And maybe a little nutmeg. I realize this does not sound appetizing, but it adds something that I just can't explain. Helps with some extra crisp as well.

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
"...overall execution, the balance of meltiness inside and golden crispiness outside. I'm a traditionalist for the most part and prefer not to do anything too crazy, but lately I've gravitated towards using havarti cheese slices. They add a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the proceedings. I always experiment with different ingredients (ie: "what is in the fridge I can melt into this sandwich?") but I always prefer traditional. Always real butter for the outside too."
It's always better, more practically-good, I think, to be able to flawlessly execute, even something so apparently simple; than see what might result if you try to reinvent the wheel.

Like, I might just put the smallest amount of a premium blue-cheese or maybe some gruyere or brie on just a regular (American) grilled cheese sandwhich. Or add some not-so-crisp bacon & a single slice of tomato.

"I'm also of the school of thought that the art of grilled cheese is to avoid the temptation to overdo the cheese. There's a certain structural integrity that needs to be respected, particularly in regards to dipping."
What do you dip it into? I like to pair any type of grilled cheese with cream of tomato soup...

MattB

Epicurean
Definitely tomato soup (cream!) for the classic experience. I may actually be one of the few people on Earth (or in Canada- it's a staple here) that doesn't like ketchup on pretty much anything, but it is my easy/lazy backup plan for grilled cheese. Possibly the only food I'll eat with ketchup, upon further reflection...If I'm in the mood and/or have the sniffles I'll use Frank's Red Hot.

I tried the havarti version once with French Onion soup. Not nirvana by any stretch, but pleasing.

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
Ic my depression is kicking my butt. I am so tired and just want to hide in bed.

x0emnem0x

Words.
IC that I don't know what I am feeling since after pretty much an entire year of not speaking, my ex finally talks to me and tells me he's been wanting to mend our friendship for awhile, but didn't want to deal with drama from his girlfriend... well at the same time, he is saying she won't be around much longer, that he isn't in love with her anymore, and that she's only living there due to not having anywhere else to go... a lot to take in in one day, a lot to try and process, especially due to the fact that it's my ex, from Missouri, who made me very depressed, treated me worse than I deserved to be treated in any respects... I'm confused.

Micara

Living and Learning
IC that my family is having a big, dramatic fight on FB and I am totally laughing at all of them.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I took the car out tonight after all the repairs and the dash lights aren't working. Back to the mechanic on Monday.

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
IC I am the greatest creator of grilled cheese on the planet. I have been posting here for 7 years and never even shared that info with Dims, and for that I am truly sorry...but now you all know.
I've never had a complaint about how I make mine, but I think mine are pretty good :)

Both sides generously buttered, St-Albert sliced cheese inside, and low enough heat to get the inside beautifully melted without burning the outside.
None of my friends have made them as good as me, so I'm usually on grilled cheese duty when we get together and have some.
It's usually the lunch I cook and serve for my drag queens on the day of a show. They seem to love it, at least. Lol. They ask for it when they come by :D

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
He's dumping his girlfriend and wants you around to fall back on.

Men aren't hard to figure out most of the time.

IC that I don't know what I am feeling since after pretty much an entire year of not speaking, my ex finally talks to me and tells me he's been wanting to mend our friendship for awhile, but didn't want to deal with drama from his girlfriend... well at the same time, he is saying she won't be around much longer, that he isn't in love with her anymore, and that she's only living there due to not having anywhere else to go... a lot to take in in one day, a lot to try and process, especially due to the fact that it's my ex, from Missouri, who made me very depressed, treated me worse than I deserved to be treated in any respects... I'm confused.

vardon_grip

Consistently smarmy
You dodged a bullet a year ago when this guy broke up with you and now you are thinking about jumping back into the bullet's path?

Drop whatever you are doing and ask the closest person near you to smack you upside the head, then take a deep breath and tell the ex to F.O.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
If I have tomato soup on hand, then its monster cheese for a grilled cheese. Otherwise its American.

Now if I have dark rye ( pumperknickel ) and the fixins for a reuben, I skip the soup and have a fresh sack of salt n vinegar crisps. (although lately its been deep fried shoestrings, doused with malt vinegar.

Yeah... I'm hungry.

spiritangel

AmandaClause
IC for the first time in a long time I see a glimmer of hope and part of me is joyous and happy another part is worried it will just lead to dissappointment yet again

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I can't go to a movie alone. Anyone want to see a movie?
I like going to the movies alone. I haven 't done it in eons though. I'm probably going to see the third Hunger Games alone since we don't have a sitter and the boys wouldn't want to sit through it.

Group builder