The thread for random single confessions!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Touche. Having non shitty rice helps a lot. We want one but they are either shitty and cheap or like $200 machine that feeds a whole family

rabbitislove

24 Carrot Magic
Did..... did you just call me old??

I was wondering who called you old and then I flipped back a page and was like "Fuck that was me"

Sorry Sassy. I didnt mean old as in long in the tooth. I meant posters around the golden age of 2006-2011. :p

That escalated quickly :)

Also to all the 4-0's in the house, one of my former (had to avoid old) co workers told me her 40's were the best decade of her life, so fear not.

(Said she who is hitting the big 3-0 next month!)

Sasquatch!

A wild loser appeared!
I was wondering who called you old and then I flipped back a page and was like "Fuck that was me"

Sorry Sassy. I didnt mean old as in long in the tooth. I meant posters around the golden age of 2006-2011. :p

That escalated quickly :)

Also to all the 4-0's in the house, one of my former (had to avoid old) co workers told me her 40's were the best decade of her life, so fear not.

(Said she who is hitting the big 3-0 next month!)

Ah yes. The Dims golden age. When forums roamed the internet prairies in their thousands.... *sigh*

I'm hitting 30 in a few months too.

It's weird to think I've been visiting Dims (in some shape or form) since something like 2002. Half of my life! Urk!

Crumbling

Distilled Evil
Touche. Having non shitty rice helps a lot. We want one but they are either shitty and cheap or like $200 machine that feeds a whole family

We mostly use brown basmati these days.. it needs a bit more work, presoaking at least, but sometimes picking over for husks if its not the regular brand. Damn stuff takes forever to cook if it's not presoaked.

Back when... I used the rice bowl thingy in my steamer (+1 for not being a unitasker), rice in the bowl, cover with water and set it going

I found it very hard to overcook rice in the steamer which meant I could do interesting things like mixing rice grains. Also good for small portions because the heat is indirect

lucca23v2

Curves for miles
I really think the waffle iron was midlife crisis. Rice cooker is more like cause I wanted to cook rice less badly. Really, it comes out like mush every time.
I am not use to cooking in a rice cooker. (Or cooking for that matter, so take this with a grain of salt. I just remember what my mom taught me.) My mom said if you find the rice is too mushy, either add less water or raise the heat a bit. But that is for a gas stove. Not sure how the heat would work on a rice cooker.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
The method my wife uses for rice, which is super-consistent for her but does require paying a little bit of attention to timing, and requires some time, is:
- 2 to 1 water to rice ratio (except for some brown rice types which require more water)
- Bring the pot to the boil
- Immediately turn the heat down to low, and as soon as it is not in danger of boiling over, put on a tight fitting lid.
- Turn the heat off in about twenty minutes but leave the pot to sit for a while longer
- Rice should come out pretty much perfectly, without sticking to the pot, etc.

A rice cooker that you can program ahead of time, so that you come home to perfectly cooked rice, would make a ton of sense for most people who come home hungry and want to make up their supper quickly.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
The rice cooking method that worked best for me was to cook the rice in an uncovered pot of boiling water the same way you cook pasta. The two to one boil then 20 minutes covered on low heat just never works for me. Maybe I boil it too long I don't know. But for plain or saffron rice (as opposed to pilaf or something) boiling the rice like pasta for around 15 minutes in a large pot of salted water works great for non-sticky rice. However for sushi rice I want some degree of stick without going full mush. So I got the rice cooker. It also can serve as a vegetable steamer and can be used to make soups and stews. Although idk why I would want to use it for soup/stew making. It also has a sautee setting for cooking aromatics to flavor the rice and for roasting the rice before cooking.

lucca23v2

Curves for miles
The rice cooking method that worked best for me was to cook the rice in an uncovered pot of boiling water the same way you cook pasta. The two to one boil then 20 minutes covered on low heat just never works for me. Maybe I boil it too long I don't know. But for plain or saffron rice (as opposed to pilaf or something) boiling the rice like pasta for around 15 minutes in a large pot of salted water works great for non-sticky rice. However for sushi rice I want some degree of stick without going full mush. So I got the rice cooker. It also can serve as a vegetable steamer and can be used to make soups and stews. Although idk why I would want to use it for soup/stew making. It also has a sautee setting for cooking aromatics to flavor the rice and for roasting the rice before cooking.
Nice!...now i want one.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Why do I suddenly feel the urge to offer a BHM/FFA board rice cooking tutorial? ;)
To be offered in the versions Risotto, Pilaf, red Camargue, Basmati whole grain and plain, mix of different types including wild rice, rice pudding in milk and new non-pre-cooked as Dolmás filling..... - all conventional, success guaranteed, no cookers involved .....

For 'normal' rice I advise the 3:1 water:rice version with herbal salt, for 20-25 minutes at low heat; simmer - don't boil.

LeoGibson

Happy
For plain white rice, if you like it soft and a little sticky like I do, bring 2-2.5 cups of water to a good boil. Then stir in 1 cup of rice. Add a pinch of salt and a pat of butter. Turn to the lowest flame and cover for 30 minutes. Comes out perfect every time.

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Haha for me i find 1:1 ratio in a pan, not a pot, works best...being to boil and cover for 10 min and its dry and fluffy. I can't stand even slightly mushy rice!

---

Ic i wish i could "unfollow" some people here like on FB. Not that i hate them, i just would rather not see some things, lol

Latest posts