The thread for random single confessions!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
It's been a long time since I have seen 25+ people viewing the BHM forum. It's freakin me out a tad.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
It's been a long time since I have seen 25+ people viewing the BHM forum. It's freakin me out a tad.
Insert pun about Tad-the-user here.

I'm going to assume it is our charismatic charm and rugged sexiness that is attracting viewers. Or Rellis secretly brought an entire posse of people with him. :p

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
I confess I have never ever understood the appeal of this by now 20 page long thread, with almost 500 responses and a lot more written work by most posters than in any other thread:

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80689&page=20

Is it so extraordinary to formulate a concise opinion about someone else? Are there so many more personal interactions going on behind the scenes of this board that people can actually reliably identify what is about themselves or others? Or are others simply just a lot better at attributing opinions to themselves?

It leaves me very :confused: :confused: :confused:

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I confess I have never ever understood the appeal of this by now 20 page long thread, with almost 500 responses and a lot more written work by most posters than in any other thread:

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80689&page=20

Is it so extraordinary to formulate a concise opinion about someone else? Are there so many more personal interactions going on behind the scenes of this board that people can actually reliably identify what is about themselves or others? Or are others simply just a lot better at attributing opinions to themselves?

It leaves me very :confused: :confused: :confused:
Ooooh, I love that thread (as you have probably noticed skimming over it!)!

I think there are lots of reasons it is appealing. On the one hand, as you are writing them, it lets you express opinions/thoughts about people that you wouldn't normally have a place to type/say aloud and it can be a good way of letting go of any stress or anger towards a person/situation.

As for reading it, I like reading my old posts there so I can see how my opinions of others have changed over time and how my coping methods for stresses have gotten better. I can see through that thread that my thoughts are much calmer and clearer now and it is nice to relive the old thoughts and memories there.

I love reading other people's posts there most of all, because I think it offers an insight into their mind and their feelings that you rarely get anywhere else. Also, I can certainly work out who a lot of the posters are talking about in their dims-related comments, yes. Including both positive and negative comments directed towards myself. I find it a good way to understand the posters here better, to read their honesty in that thread. It's kinda anonymous which makes everybody even more blunt and honest, which I like, without descending into... well, some of the other attempts at 'anonymous' based threads didn't play out very nicely.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
I love reading other people's posts there most of all, because I think it offers an insight into their mind and their feelings that you rarely get anywhere else. Also, I can certainly work out who a lot of the posters are talking about in their dims-related comments, yes. Including both positive and negative comments directed towards myself.
Some of the comments can indeed with some likelihood be attributed to identifiable people here at BHM/FFA - but as far as I read them these are few and far between. Most are general enough that they could apply to at least a number of people, some to almost everybody. And I say that although I pride myself of pretty well trained (even professionally) text interpretation skills.
In part it's probably also that I just don't post that much here - although I do have a certain seniority on my side by now - and miss out on some of the interaction.

Mordecai

The fire is coming for us
I sometimes forget this place exists then I get an e-mail and go: "oh yeah".

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei
I don't feel like getting up for floss so just I clipped off a fingernail and used it to get something out from between my teeth.

It's almost comforting to know I can always find a new bottom to hit. :)

rellis10

tuh-maw-tow
I confess I was so ready to slip my number to a receptionist at my hotel that was flirting with me when I checked it... and then she wasn't there this morning. I also confess I was pretty damn disappointed afterwards.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
The oldest of my group of friends is about to turn fifty (mandatory aside for: how the heck did we suddenly become this old?!?), and his partner has arranged a surprise ‘guys weekend’ for us to celebrate making it this far. They have a big place out in the country with plenty of room for the nine of us who can make it, and she is stocking in food then vacating the premises for us to hang out and have a good time. Should be good.

But IC that I’m anxious about one part of it, the ‘she is stocking in food.’ Many people have a bit of a hard time scaling up from two people to nine people anyway, and throw in that the friend whose half century we are celebrating is a small and not especially active guy who just doesn’t eat a lot and that she is a part time actress so is always watching her portions, I don’t know how well stocked we will really be. And because we are way out in the country, I can’t just go for a walk and grab an extra bite to eat if I feel the need.

It will probably all be fine, and if I am slightly hungry I’ll obviously survive, but I get anxious when I don’t control my own access to food. When it is for one night or even a day it isn’t so bad, but we are there from Friday evening through Sunday morning, and it looks like I’m likely driving others both ways so I don’t even have the mental sop of ‘I’ll stop at McDonald’s or Tim Hortons on the way up and way back’ to make me feel more in control.

Once we are up there I should be OK, but the worry is probably going to be nagging at me all day today :(

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Can you bring a few boxes of snacks in your overnight bag? That's what i would do. I get food anxiety too :(

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I have thought about that, would just need find time to get something.

Was also thinking of stopping by the good bagel store for a couple of dozen Montreal-style bagels, good cream cheese, and some smoked-salmon spread, officially as contributing some nice breakfast options, unofficially because it would let me grab a bagel at random times and devour it.

ETA: Fortunately friend's partner is infinitely understanding about food intolerances, and has made sure that none of what she is leaving uses onion powder or garlic powder (the two worst triggers for my digestive issue), so at least I'm not worried on that front.

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
I have thought about that, would just need find time to get something.

Was also thinking of stopping by the good bagel store for a couple of dozen Montreal-style bagels, good cream cheese, and some smoked-salmon spread, officially as contributing some nice breakfast options, unofficially because it would let me grab a bagel at random times and devour it.

ETA: Fortunately friend's partner is infinitely understanding about food intolerances, and has made sure that none of what she is leaving uses onion powder or garlic powder (the two worst triggers for my digestive issue), so at least I'm not worried on that front.
Just bring a bunch of food and make a joke about it when you get there. Maybe don't mention it to her, but when it's just you and the guys, and you take out some snacks, just be like, "sorry, I don't trust thin people to buy food." :p