The thread for random single confessions!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Corey

Corey
Well, Yakatori, whom I’ve never had a single conversation with since discovering Dims, it sucks that you’re “kind of” disappointed by how I felt the need to defend my original comment to Shh! Don’t tell! due to a guy calling me creepy. I don’t particularly like being called “creepy” by someone I don’t know, even though I’m positive the guy who said it meant nothing by it. Am I weird at times? Sure. Quirky, sure. Creepy? Nah. Everyone has their limits, and that was mine. Truly hope you can recover from your disappointment, man. Also, this is 2 times in 2 days that 2 random ass men have felt the need to say something negative to me and about me. I don’t know if you think it’s normal to offer unhelpful and unsolicited advice to someone that you don’t know, but it’s not. Did you think I would appreciate your disappointment? Did you think I would be like, “Thanks so much stranger for telling me you’re disappointed in the way I shared my personal feelings over something that has nothing to do with you!” And did you think I was supposed to respond to the other guy like “Okay, thanks for calling me creepy I love it!!!” I’m just wondering where your in entitlement has come from. I’m really risking sounding like a cranky bitch here with this response, but hopefully those who have interacted with me and seen my comments prior to this one understand that I’ve reached my limit with the stupid shit. There’s so much going on around the world right now that I’m positive you’ll be able to find something else to be disappointed in other than how I choose to respond to someone else, which has nothing to do with you. See ya.

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
That's one of the first videos I ever saw on MTV, back in 1982.
(I was in the eighth grade -- a confession of my age. Fat and old.)
Not as fat and old as me! Well, not sure on the one count but definitely on the other. I was in college in '82.

Barrett

OMG, Becky, look at his belly.
DM Supporter
Not as fat and old as me! Well, not sure on the one count but definitely on the other. I was in college in '82.
You got me on age. I was in eighth grade in '82.
(I'm 51.)

As far as fat, I'm 330 pounds, 5'10 (47.35 BMI), with a 61-62" belly, guesstimating the gap between the ends of my 60" tape measure.

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
You got me on age. I was in eighth grade in '82.
(I'm 51.)

As far as fat, I'm 330 pounds, 5'10 (47.35 BMI), with a 61-62" belly, guesstimating the gap between the ends of my 60" tape measure.
Yeah, got me on the fat part. 5'7" and 224 lbs. All my pants say 38 but I think they lie!

stevita

like the pancake
So...I confess that I had a "lockdown" scene planned for Served long before we actually went on lockdown, and I've had to edit it now that I know what an actual lockdown is like. I'm a little self-conscious about people thinking I'm making light of current events just because of the nature of the scene (spoiler alert: in the story the CDC is wrong), but I've had bits and pieces of it written since, like, last December, and I didn't want to cut two chapters just to be more PC.

Tad

mostly harmless
Fun fact! People that smell attractive to you smell that way because as humans we've evolved to be attracted to the smells of people who are the most genetically different from us. This could be a biological means of ensuring genetic diversity of offspring, which is a good way to ensure the survival of a species, since if a plague runs its course, some individuals are bound to be immune.
Except apparently being on hormonal birth control can mess that up for women? (at least in some studies, women who were pregnant or on hormonal birth control tended to prefer the smell of people more closely related to them. I don't know if that was ever replicated with larger studies).

Corey

Corey
Except apparently being on hormonal birth control can mess that up for women? (at least in some studies, women who were pregnant or on hormonal birth control tended to prefer the smell of people more closely related to them. I don't know if that was ever replicated with larger studies).
FIRSTLY, TAD, WELCOME THE HECK BACK. I’ve been worried about you due to coronavirus. I’m glad to see your name again.

Secondly, when I was pregnant the first time, people I was closest to (husband, sister, mom) smelled like garlic at all times, no matter what. It was the weirdest thing. 😷

Corey

Corey
I'm fine, but working from home turns out to be a bit of a time suck (or maybe it is just a busy patch at work?). Add in some background anxiety depleting brain energy, and I've fallen off from my usual digital rounds.
I’m sorry you’ve got so much going on. That’s a lot, for sure. I’m just happy that you’re okay. I really was worried that you had contracted COVID because I didn’t see you after it got pretty serious. It sounds extreme, but I’m truly relieved to see that you’re alright.

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
I confess: Lately, I've wondered if my life has had any real meaning. What am I here for? What good have I done? I've been trying to write but my heart just isn't in it. I've been trying to figure out what my purpose on Earth is but can't seem to come up with anything tangible.

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
I confess: Lately, I've wondered if my life has had any real meaning. What am I here for? What good have I done? I've been trying to write but my heart just isn't in it. I've been trying to figure out what my purpose on Earth is but can't seem to come up with anything tangible.
Love ya, BEK. You’re a great guy and I’m sorry to hear you’re having these thoughts. I know it’s not Christmas but sit your ass down and watch It’s a Wonderful Life. You have George Bailey Syndrome. You’ve probably made a difference to so many people over time, and said something here, done an act of kindness there that you don’t even remember, but to someone else made a huge difference.

Keep your chin up for optimism and tucked for toughness. We need both in a time like this.

Last edited:

Shotha

DM Supporter
I don't think that we're born with a purpose. We give ourselves the purposes that we choose. You've chosen to be on this site. You've chosen to be a moderator for this site. Perhaps you were offered that role but accepting it was your choice. In choosing to do these things you have helped many people to come to terms with themselves. You have helped people towards self-understanding. You have helped people to find their way through life. You have helped people to find happiness.

We all have moments of self-doubt, especially at times like this, when we have more time to spare than is usual. The things that you do on here have meaning and purpose. What you do for people on Dims is doing good for people, because it gives people greater wellbeing.

TwoSwords

I've done some philosophy in the past, and when talking about the meaning of a person's life, what's usually meant is; do we have a purpose? Now, a lot can be learned about this by studying the purpose of non-human things, and seeing what rules those purposes follow. For instance, a baseball bat has the purpose of being used to play baseball. A car has the purpose of being driven, and a pencil has the purpose of being used to write or draw. If we try to use a car to squash bugs with, or use a pencil to chop down a tree, we're not using these things for their purposes. They may or may not succeed at these irrelevant tasks, but it's not their purpose to do so.

By contrast, what's the purpose of a rock? It can be used for many things; sharpening a knife, holding down papers or causing ripples in a nearby pond, but none of these things can be said to be the purpose of a rock with any degree of certainty. Virtually everything in nature is the same way. Trees, lightning, stars, clouds... They all have functions that they perform, but it's hard, from that, to extrapolate a purpose, as such.

From this, we can draw a conclusion about purpose; it is not a phenomena that occurs accidentally or without intent. Purpose is put into things during the design process. When we decide to make a baseball bat, we give it the purpose of being used for baseball. Before we designed the baseball bat, it was only a log, which didn't have that purpose.

Also, it goes without saying that baseball bats, cars and pencils are not aware of the purposes that they have, because none of them is intelligent.

So, what does all of this say about the purpose of people's lives? Well, we did not design our own lives. Therefore, it's not possible for use to decide the purpose of our own lives. We could plan out a purpose for the next minute, hour, day or year, but our ultimate purpose, if any, is not really our call, nor will we necessarily be aware of it.

I agree that "It's a Wonderful Life" proposes an attractive and probable solution to this dilemma, because (and I won't spoil the movie if you haven't seen it yet,) the main character of George Bailey is not the creator of his own purpose, nor is he initially aware of it, but he does have one. I think everyone should watch that movie at least once. It's great.

Human purpose is one of many immaterial puzzles for modern man, but there are good ways to solve it.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
St Catherine's, where my ex lived and we used to be able to cross on a daily basis before the virus threw everything into a complete nightmare mess.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Here's my naughty confession about the Covid-19 restrictions. I find it very irritating that our parliamentary signers appear in the news, no longer standing beside our PM or an MP, when they are signing for them, but in little boxes at the bottom right of the screen. I find one of them, a big fat Māori guy, very attractive. I've started to think of signing itself as a very sexy activity. It would be so advantageous in the bedroom. I mean, one would be able to communicate in the bedroom without spoiling one's embouchure.

lille

Quarantine is affecting me more than I’d like. My husband and went to go visit “distantly” with a few friends this evening and my anxiety about being alone has definitely increased.