Quantcast

The Word "Fat"

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MamaLisa

Mama Is Extraloveable!
Im not sure about anyone else.. but it really pisses me off when slim people get offended when i say im fat.. or they say "dont put yourself down like that"

im like "put myself down like what? Im fat.. and im proud"

I had a friend of a friend telling me that im a disgrace to "larger women" and its reverse discrimination.

He was getting rather heated about it.. and i thought.. u really have no right to tell me im a disgrace for how i see myself.. and most others see me also... but i kept my cool and ended up laughing at him in the end.. it was that stupid to me..

Im like what the?

I dont get it?

Anyone else come across something like this?

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Every culture has some subjects it's so uncomfortable with that even speaking the name is taboo. In western culture --at the moment -- fat is taboo. People are thought to be fat because of mental weakness or moral failure -- or both -- so that calling someone 'fat' is a deadly insult, even if it's true. So 'proper' people use euphemisms: 'big-boned' or (my particular pet peeve) 'heavy-set.' This is supposed to communicate the basic idea without implying an insult. In fact, it merely irritates.:mad:

Paquito

don't July to me
I hate it so much when people get on my case just for calling myself fat. It's like, I have eyes, ya know? I didn't wake up fat, I've been fat for a while. It's not like I said I was fat and ugly, or hated being fat, or anything like that. I'm merely stating a fact.

But no, as soon as I say I'm fat, it's like the floodgates of hell have opened. Everyone automatically reprimands me, saying that I'm not fat and that I shouldn't have low self esteem. They'll even start pointing out other fat people and saying "see, you're not fat, that person's fat."

Man I hate not being able to make fat jokes. :(
Jokes are all I have, people.

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
They only see the word as negative, rather than a simple descriptor or, God forbid, something positive for the user or others in the world.

Someone who argues about it is showing they've really bought the whole fat=bad/disgusting and why in the world would you ever allow yourself to think that.

I simply inform them that fat is only a bad word because we allowed all the power to be taken out of it - I'm taking my power back, they can do whatever they'd like.

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
We were in the waiting room this week for my son's dental appointment and he said something about me being fat to the lady next to us. And she scolded him like he shouldn't say that. I didn't know what to say cuz i use the word all the time so he's just used using it. He didn't understand he was being scolded so i didn't need to correct her. She was just being nice.

I do remember once upon a time being called fat or someone saying i'm fat would have hurt. But like AM said, its a descriptive word. I obviously got over the stigma :)

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
I agree that it is a descriptive word, unfortunately society has made it into an extremely negative adjective. My husband and I don't use the word as it's just not part of our daily vocabulary. My son knows that mommy is big and he is little. In my opinion it's an ugly word that I choose not to use to describe myself.

mergirl

f f fat. at at fat. I kinna like the word. The 'fa' bit is round and fluffy and the 'at' bit has attitude. I reclaimed this word a while ago, though i realise not everyone else has. Its a pity it has to stay under wraps much of the time, cause it trips off the tounge so nicely.

StridentDionysus

Señor Member
I just watched the South Park movie again and this reminded me of it. Near the end when Cartman says "Kyle. Remember all those times I called you a stupid Jew? I didn't mean it, you're not a Jew" :p:D

So yeah, I'm fat. I'm not proud but I'm not ashamed, no matter how badly I could try to deny it. I'm still fat! :bow:

Fat :bow:

aussieamazonwoman

I don't really have a problem with the word and certainly have used it at times to describe myself...

having said this, I CAN get quite annoyed when someone else describes me as fat in a negative context...then my slighlty evil reactive side wants to say something like "yes, I may be fat, but you are rather ugly and that is never going to change".

Kay :)

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
I don't really have a problem with the word and certainly have used it at times to describe myself...

having said this, I CAN get quite annoyed when someone else describes me as fat in a negative context...then my slighlty evil reactive side wants to say something like "yes, I may be fat, but you are rather ugly and that is never going to change".

Kay :)
Which I used to consider a somewhat suitable retort as well, except when I realized that I'm saying fat IS bad and I could change this bad thing - when it's not bad and I have no intent of seeking change from that.

I prefer something more positive now, to prove my own point of view ... "I know, thanks!" or "Thanks, I love it, too". Confuses and angers in the same instant. They don't get the rise out of you and you've rocked their perception of the world for a minute. It's a good win.

Ruffie

How I respond when I use the word to describe me or a part of my anatomy and people get on me about it s this.
I am fat, I don't see it as a negative term anymore. I took the power of that word back years ago by using it to describe myself. It doesn't hurt me to be called fat. Its no different than being called tall, short, thin, beautiful whatever term you would use to describe another person.
Usually when I do that it gives me a chance to explain about size acceptance to people, and alot of times I hear how the person really sees me in the process. Most of the time a win/win situation.
Ruth

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

I agree that it is a descriptive word, unfortunately society has made it into an extremely negative adjective. My husband and I don't use the word as it's just not part of our daily vocabulary. My son knows that mommy is big and he is little. In my opinion it's an ugly word that I choose not to use to describe myself.

I'm the same way with my step son. And not for my sake, but for the sake of fat classmates he might have. He's only 6 and he understand that I am very big. He KNOWS I am fat, but he knows it isn't nice to call people fat. Instead we use words like chubby and chunky to describe someone bigger than ourselves. Some might look at that as fat hatred...but whatever, I call it raising a kid with nice manners!

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
It's only ugly if you let it BE ugly. Like someone might be tall, people can also be fat. You can dress it up any manner of ways, but the bottom line is the person is still fat, and that is ok.

I'm the same way with my step son. And not for my sake, but for the sake of fat classmates he might have. He's only 6 and he understand that I am very big. He KNOWS I am fat, but he knows it isn't nice to call people fat. Instead we use words like chubby and chunky to describe someone bigger than ourselves. Some might look at that as fat hatred...but whatever, I call it raising a kid with nice manners!
I don't know that "chubby" or "chunky" are any better than "fat" for a kid. If someone is bringing it up to their face, any word used may hurt them, unfortunately.

Fat is just a word, guys. Really. :(

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

It's only ugly if you let it BE ugly. Like someone might be tall, people can also be fat. You can dress it up any manner of ways, but the bottom line is the person is still fat, and that is ok.

I don't know that "chubby" or "chunky" are any better than "fat" for a kid. If someone is bringing it up to their face, any word used may hurt them, unfortunately.

He doesn't use chubby or chunky other than to describe someone. Like we were talking the other day about swimming and floating. The kid is very skinny and sinks without arm bands on. After thoughtful consideration he said "yeah, daddy doesn't sink like me cos he's.....(long thoughtful pause) chunkier than me"

We have taught him not to comment on people's appearances at all.

And fat is only just a word so much as bitch is only just a word. It depends on the context it is being used in.

Reactions: Tad

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
Thank you for "getting it"! :) My son knows mommy is FAT, but in terms of manners, he knows that it's not nice to refer to anyone big as being FAT. As stated earlier, FAT is only a word, but society has deemed it negative, therefore we don't use it. MY son, MY choice.

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy

Okay, I can see it your way, however...do you KNOW me? Have you walked in my shoes? By this I mean have you ever walked out to get in your car to see the word FAT spraypainted on your car in HUGE BLACK LETTERS? Are you able to sit out on your patio without the college guys next door laughing at every move you make and snickering while chanting 'lazy FAT f*ck' every chance they get? Have you NOT been invited to your only brother's wedding because his fiance didn't want to be embarrassed by the FAT sister??? Don't tell me the word FAT is just a word, because to ME it is a vile disgusting word. And the last time I looked I had the right to choose which words I use to describe myself...and FAT ISN'T ONE OF THEM!

mergirl

right.. though trace..it iS a feminist issue..
I'm not even sure what that means..but it is.

Latest posts