Things our parents said...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Lovelyone

Fat, and loveable!
I was talking to my sister about our Dad...and we started discussing things that he used to tell us, it gave us a little giggle. I wonder if everyone else's parents made these kinds of comments too.

"I walked ten miles in knee deep snow with no shoes on to get to get to school"

"Starving children in Ethiopia would gobble down that *fill in the blank*, and be happy to have it"

"When I was a kid we didnt HAVE the luxuries that you do, we had to MAKE our own toys outta cardboard boxes and twine."

Does anyone have any other good ones to add?

BeaBea

Man up or move on!
My Dad always says 'Cant throw that away, it might come in handy one day...'

Very true, but then I'm looking at a half an old fence panel, seven bent screws and a piece of frayed string thats about three inches long and thinking - WHEN?!? Lol, I love him so much for it though :D

Tracey xx

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw
My dad always had some weird logic to things he would say. LOL, One thing I recall strongly and fondly came about when we kids were fighting, or one complaining that another was chasing us. Dad would say, "Don't run. They can't chase you if you don't run."

Sometimes, when we were fighting, he'd make us sit side-by-side on the couch without saying a word. He then proceeded to fall asleep in his recliner. By then we were all getting along again, and slinked off to play.

Theatrmuse/Kara

Warrior Momma
LOL! Betty, your Dad was a wise man....................I used to do the same exact thing with my kids and now do it with my grandbabies! LOLOL!
Hugs, Kara

bigsexy920

Ok I'll be good.
How much space do I have. My dad is horrible with expressions he used and or uses. Here are a few.

How the hell do you live- it can be a statement OR a question depending on the situation

You people would eat the ass off a dead bear.

Who Glommed it?

Go shit in your sisters hat.

Bat shit.

I'll put the milk away.

You kids don't know how good you got it.

You will be happy when I'm dead.

You are acting like Im asking you to walk to Journal Square. It's an area in Jersey City - I think he got that one from HIS parents.

You gotta make do with what you got.

Come along now children - I hated that one

Who do you think I am Mr. Gotrocks ?

The house it lit up like a Light house, cant you people turn off some lights?

Hows the new job? This is more current. how ever I've had my job now going on 4 years. I think he says it now cause he thinks hes funny.

My mom she only have few that I can remember, as you can see it was my dad that stole the show.

If you just listened to me in the first place.

Jesus, Mary, Joseph.

For Christ sakes

You sound like a herd of wild elephants up there, what are you kids doing?

If you get your things ready the night before you wouldnt have to rush around so much in the morning.

Oh if you were ever "sick" in the morning she would always say it was just the way you were sleeping. Take a bath and you will feel better.

If you dont go to school you don't go out and no TV.

moonvine

Queen of Contempt
My grandmother had a funny one.

My mom always used to save like a tablespoon of mashed potatoes or whatever instead of eating it or throwing it away like a normal person.

My grandmother used to say "Your mother is saving that to throw away later."

Used to crack me up.:D

olivefun

Belly bellissima
bigsexy920 said:
How much space do I have. My dad is horrible with expressions he used and or uses.

Wow.
What a picture of the man!

My father has just recently died and I am trying to remember as much about him as I can. He was very accepting and loving. I actually cannot remember him ever saying anything negative about anyone. We'd argue about other things, like what the "best" way to go about something might be.

My favorite thing he said was:
You know a man by the way he treats someone that can't help him.

Rainahblue

:) What a fun thread!

My dad said this whenever we kids did anything wrong and apologized for it:

"Don't be sorry, just be careful."

I've never heard anyone else say that.

:rolleyes: My dad also told us stories about walking through snow to get to school (he's from a city in Texas that NEVER gets snow) and being so poor, he and his siblings would eat ice cubes and paper... he told the "we were so poor" story so many times, I finally asked my grandmother about it one summer while visiting. She called my dad by his middle name and yelled, "Why are you telling these children that we were poor!" and proceeded to haul out boxes of pictures of their enormous Christmas trees, my dad is his boyscout uniform, birthday cakes and stacks of presents... My dad was never able to tell another poor story after that. :D

jamie

...tickled...
My granny said
"Piss in one hand and wish in the other and see which one gets full first."
"He doesn't know his ass from his elbow."

And something about another bathroom function and a window. She cussed like a sailor, smoked like a stack and always wore this really strange fuschia nail polish.

I lived on a street with lots of old people and they always were saying things that would make me laugh.

Mr. Reed would sit on his porch a lot and when I was walking up the road to my friend's house, he would holler "Traveling or going somewhere?" I sat on the porch with him and the Mrs. a lot at night and whenever I would get up and say "Well..." he would come back with "Yup, deep deep subject."

He always had stories about the miles he walked to school, and beans in the bucket and how after a while it was only bean water in the bucket because they were so poor. And no shoes. And riding on the back of the wagon to get to town once a month.

bigsexy920

Ok I'll be good.
yeah mine said that too Tiger.,, I just remembered another one.

Dont make me come over there.

abluesman

I da doggie daddy
My dad had a little poem he liked to recite:

"Beans, beans the fruit of my heart,
The more you eat, the more you... LIKE 'EM"

That used to crack me up. When we were little my mom used to tell us "don't do what I do, do what I TELL you to do."

Dad would also tell us, "Do you think money grows on trees?"

jeannieo

My dad died when I was kinda young, but my mother had a couple of good ones:

I have to piss like a race horse (never did understand that one)

and

You want sympathy - you'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

and

(If I said I THOUGHT I did something)
You know what thought did - he thought he farted but he really shit himself.

My mom - I miss her so much - LOL

bigsexy920

Ok I'll be good.
olivefun said:
Wow.
What a picture of the man!

My father has just recently died and I am trying to remember as much about him as I can. He was very accepting and loving. I actually cannot remember him ever saying anything negative about anyone. We'd argue about other things, like what the "best" way to go about something might be.

My favorite thing he said was:

Im sorry to hear about your dad. I have to say I'm blessed in that my parents are still with me.

As for my day. YEAH he is a REAL piece of work. OHH that's another one my mom would you., " your a real piece of work".

This is a great thread BTW.

Tina

Older and wiser now
Mom: "If you're going to dish it out, you'd better be able to take it."

One of life's most important lessons, and one I learned at a young age -- also one that way too many people are obviously not aware of...

Also Mom, when very tired: "I feel like a wrung out old dish rag."

Zandoz

Highly irregular
Mom:

We're off like a hoid a toitis! (herd of tortoise)

Well shoot!

Behave or you'll be picking out a lilac switch!

You know your father............

Dad:

I helped bring you into this world, and if you don't behave I'll take you out of it. (not joking)

He doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, or which shit comes from.

Ask why and your butt will get the answer.

I don't give a damn what ____ gets to do,I'm not their father.

I don't give a rat's ass!

If you act up, I'll make the call for them to come haul you away. You're old enough to know better. And I'm not bailing you out, they can keep you. (a standard heard from the time oldenough to understand it)

bigsexy920

Ok I'll be good.
Just remembered some more.

DONT make me turn this Car around.

My mom would always say after I hurt myself doing something I WASNT suposed to be doing " thats what you get, God Punished you."

BeaBea

Man up or move on!
Lol, this is a lovely thread and bringing back so many nice memories...

Dad - 'Dont break that, it cost more than you did!'
- 'We cant afford a new (whatever) but we can always have more kids!'
- 'Off like a greased whippet'

Mum - 'I feel like a fourpenny rabbit' (Said when having eaten too much. Apparently once upon a time at the butchers a twopenny rabbit was a little skinny thing but a fourpenny rabbit was a BIG fat one :))

Tracey xx

Ample Pie

Fattitude Problem
Whenever my brother or I would say, "Can I see [whatever]?" mom would say, "There's no sea[see] to it; it's all dry land."

She said that my whole life and I swear I was 20 when I figured it out.

She also said:
"Little pictures have big ears" whenever she had something to tell another grown up that she didn't think we should hear.

"Shuffle your feet, lose your seat" whenever either my brother or I would leave our seat and the other of us would take it.

If one of us said, "I'm thirsty," she'd take our hand, shake it, and say, "I'm Friday, let's meet Saturday and have a Sundae."

If we said "can't," she'd say, "Can't never could because can't never tried."

BeaBea

Man up or move on!
I am so NOT the broody type but some of these sayings are so great I want to have kids just so I can use them! Lol

Tracey xx