Things to do/participate in during self-quarantine

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Colonial Warrior

I'm curious: do you, being fluent in Spanish, find it easy to learn Portuguese? Or are the languages so similar that you find yourself slipping from one into the other without meaning to?
I was born in New Jersey but raised in Puerto Rico. I learned English since my childhood watching cartoons there but I live PR since I was five, so my native language is Spanish.

For people who speaks Spanish it's easy to learn languages like Portuguese, Italian, and French because the have the same root language: Latin.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
I spent 4 hours making samosas for the first time yesterday--I've got a really great Indian cookbook that I'll be exploring during this time. I've also got a huge pole of "to-read" books on my desk. I'd like to avoid the classic Netflix time blackhole, but that will also be a part of this indoor life. And I'll keep on writing. Oh, and I'll dig through many of those golden posts in the ancient basements of Dims--so don't be surprised if threads from 2005 get a bit of new life :)
You would be surprised on how different people think about things these days. Cultural norms move fast in some ways, but not in other

Corey

Corey
View attachment 135342

Here's what I was doing today before we went grocery shopping...

5yo :Why is he wearing this glasses?
me: Uhm... he maybe needs glasses.
5yo: but it is skiing glasses.
me: well, maybe 🙃
5yo: What is this on his shirt?
me: What do you mean? (*the better answer would have been: idk.)
5yo: Why is his phone on upper side of his shirt?
me: uhm, I think these are hand cuffs.
5yo: What are hand cuffs?
me: 🤪
5yo: Why does he have so many things on his belt?
me: he's apparently a police officer. he needs this for his work.
5 yo: I want such a belt too!
me: you are not an police officer so 🤷‍♀️
5yo: I want to be a police officer.
me: well, that's a good idea.
5yo: Does he have to shave his face?
me: Looks like he's doing it. See - no beard.
5yo: I don't want to have a beard and I don't want to shave.
me: I am sure you will have to decide for one but that's not a decision you have to make now.
5yo: I don't want to shave 😭
me: then you will have a nice beard.
5yo: I don't want a beard 😭😭
me: 🙃 well nothing to think about now.
5yo: Where is his hat?
me: Good question very good question, son. [I'll probably step on it soon]

at this point we were ready to leave.

🤪🤣
Something happened tonight and it reminded me of your son’s questions from the other day. During my 3.5 year old son’s bath tonight, I pretended to also give his rubber duckie family a bath. When I was done he asked, “Will you wash my water?” He looked at me like I was stupid when I told him that no, I could not wash the water. He became very emotional and wouldn’t stop talking about it (no nap today), so I got really animated and said, “But wait...maybe Daddy knows how to wash your water!” I texted my husband that our son wanted him, and when he arrived in the bathroom, I slyly escaped and then heard my son ask, “Daddy, will you wash my water?” HAHAHAHA. And that’s about how 96% of my parenting has gone during lockdown.

Last edited:

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Something happened tonight and it reminded me of your son’s questions from the other day. During my 3.5 year old son’s bath tonight, I pretended to also give his rubber duckie family a bath. When I was done he asked, “Will you wash my water?”
Your son may be a potential Zen master.

op user

I'm curious: do you, being fluent in Spanish, find it easy to learn Portuguese? Or are the languages so similar that you find yourself slipping from one into the other without meaning to?
I have seriously bitten by the similarities between French and Italian near enough the similarities are there to do just that bite you in the posterior.

Shothta I would go for thermo instead of storgiko the difference is something like warm and caring. But it did require some serious analysis.

I am making a back up of my files on my second external drive - about 12 years ago a friend working in IT taught me one back up = no back up. I have 3 external drives now which are rotated between my back pack, home and my parents place.

Shotha

DM Supporter
I have seriously bitten by the similarities between French and Italian near enough the similarities are there to do just that bite you in the posterior.

Shothta I would go for thermo instead of storgiko the difference is something like warm and caring. But it did require some serious analysis.

I am making a back up of my files on my second external drive - about 12 years ago a friend working in IT taught me one back up = no back up. I have 3 external drives now which are rotated between my back pack, home and my parents place.
Thank you. I wasn't too sure what Greek word to use as a translation of "affectionate". If I had had to translate on the go, I would have just used "thermo".

op user

Thank you. I wasn't too sure what Greek word to use as a translation of "affectionate". If I had had to translate on the go, I would have just used "thermo".
Excellent knowledge and instinct

Corey

Corey
I’ve been really struggling lately with keeping my insides calm. Even with a back yard to play in, it’s hard being cooped up with three (loud, energetic) young children under the age of 7 years old. I struggle with allowing myself the space to properly feel my emotions when I know how good I have it compared to other people around the world. It feels selfish to complain about my frustrations or how I feel overwhelmed when I already have the most important thing I can have right now: a healthy family. But, deep down I know I am not selfish, I’m just super hard on myself. That’s how I’ve always been. I’m working on it (sometimes).

BUT- today was a very good day. My friend invited us over to her land for my kids to run out their pent up energy. She and her husband live on 25 acres of green grass and wildflowers, so the kids ran loose like wild forest animals while me and my husband got some fresh air as well. My friend and her family stayed inside so we didn’t have contact with anyone. They have hens and baby chicks, so my friend let the kids collect eggs in a basket for her, and my kids left the eggs on the back porch. They LOVED helping. I feel much more grounded now that I’ve had a taste of nature. We are normally an outside type of family, so seeing my kids all sweaty and red cheeked made my heart so happy. I hope everyone else is well and healthy.C0FAE060-91C5-40B0-95F8-A77CBE1933B3.jpegF67B9986-137F-4783-975B-E2B302CA2F77.jpeg79198313-77A9-40F6-9E4B-7300BB9790D0.jpeg31F80807-BF25-43A7-ACC6-546D1A25C26A.jpeg

Latest posts

Group builder