Things to do/participate in during self-quarantine

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Corey

Corey
Vermont....😍 Absolutely on another level of beauty, as is Norway.

@Barrett, we care about you and are glad that you’re here. So, if there’s something you need, I want you to let us know. You hear me? Even if you just need to say that you’re not feeling life today (or any other day), and vocalizing it makes you feel heard...then I want you to vocalize it. I’m aware that nothing we do will change your depression, but I just want you to remember that we’ll always hold space for you, no matter what season you’re going through. We’ll take ya no matter how ya are.

Barrett

OMG, Becky, look at his belly.
DM Supporter
Vermont....😍 Absolutely on another level of beauty, as is Norway.

@Barrett, we care about you and are glad that you’re here. So, if there’s something you need, I want you to let us know. You hear me? Even if you just need to say that you’re not feeling life today (or any other day), and vocalizing it makes you feel heard...then I want you to vocalize it. I’m aware that nothing we do will change your depression, but I just want you to remember that we’ll always hold space for you, no matter what season you’re going through. We’ll take ya no matter how ya are.
Awww, thank you so much, @Corey. ❤ ❤ ❤
And I feel the same way about you and the other folks here. My ear and shoulder (or belly, if you'd prefer that to a shoulder for crying on) are always available. ❤

op user

I'm not a fan of the heat and humidity. Hate it, actually.
Nobody likes heat and humidity. I 'd rather spend summer in Saudi Arabia that a hot and humid Belgium... I speak from experience.

I meant to make a joke between RUH airport and Ruhr region in Germany but it wouldn't be easily understood here...

jakemcduck

Tonight, me and my 7 year old made caramel from scratch for caramel apples. And no, I am not the type of mom/wife who enjoys making shit from scratch all the time. I told my husband to pick up caramel to MELT in a stinkin’ pot, but instead he came home with a freaking candy thermometer and the ingredients to make it from scratch. He didn’t even listen to me! He looked up a recipe HIMSELF. Is he still alive? Yes, for now.

Y’all. Never again. NEVER AGAIN will I make caramel from scratch. I failed at getting the consistency right more times than I failed my algebra tests in high school. I had to keep adding water, raising the temp, taking the pan off the heat, blabbidy blah blah. Just don’t try this, trust me. Unless you LIKE taking 45 extra minutes to stand over the stove and burn yourself while your kid looks at you in bewilderment as you say a few curse words, causing your spouse to whisper, “I don’t know how our kids haven’t said ‘fuck’ yet with as much as you say it. But when they do, I hope I’m there.” Yes, my husband was close enough to whisper to me, because where there is food/sweets, there he is too.

My kids don’t know what curse words are, but one day they are going to grow up and realize that their mommy said them...a lot. 😬 I’m trying not to, you guys. I’m trying.

Anyway, the caramel was delicious.View attachment 136170
And Alton Brown made it look so easy, too. Thanks for the report though. Next time I get the urge to make some I'll either buy a bottle or buy melty stuff.

Barrett

DM Supporter
Hahahaha! 🤣

He is one of my favorite celebrity chefs/cooks, though. Being a science nerd, I love his show, Good Eats.

Rachael Ray (I'm totally smitten, sue me), Nigella Lawson, and Alexandra Guarneschelli are my absolute favorites, though.
(Oh, and Bridget at America's Test Kitchen! ❤ )

On topic, I haven't been brave enough to attempt making caramel, myself, yet. Given its sticky nature, and the high temperature involved, and the fact that I'm a total klutz, I'm sure an ambulance would be involved somewhere in the process. 🤣

Last edited:

Corey

Corey
Hahahaha! 🤣

He is one of my favorite celebrity chefs/cooks, though. Being a science nerd, I love his show, Good Eats.

Rachael Ray (I'm totally smitten, sue me), Nigella Lawson, and Alexandra Guarneschelli are my absolute favorites, though.
(Oh, and Bridget at America's Test Kitchen! ❤ )

On topic, I haven't been brave enough to attempt making caramel, myself, yet. Given its sticky nature, and the high temperature involved, and the fact that I'm a total klutz, I'm sure an ambulance would be involved somewhere in the process. 🤣
Yes, it’s a nightmare. My husband bought a candy thermometer that had a hook on the side so I wouldn’t have to hold it in the pot for 20 minutes. Well, the hook was too small for the pot, so I held the thermometer for like 2 minutes and then set a timer for 20 minutes like the recipe guesstimated (temp was only supposed to reach 230-240 max). When I came back, the thermometer was at 260. 😂😂😂 The caramel was hard as glass. Couldn’t even bite it. I quickly googled how to fix it and added water and crossed my fingers. Thankfully it did. I was so mad at my husband for not buying the melted caramel like I had told him to because I was exhausted from being nicer and perkier than normal (his parents came into town) and I didn’t want to look like a butthole parent by putting off making the caramel for the next night. Sunday nights are my daughter’s favorite because she loves to bake (says she’s practicing for her future bakery) and she loves her momma.

My husband only got to eat half of his apple before he had to put our daughter to bed, so while he was away, I ate the rest of his apple. 💁🏼‍♀️ Play with fire.....and ya might get burned.

Don’t worry, I gave him some of mine, but I let him think that there were none left.

Barrett

DM Supporter
Yes, it’s a nightmare. My husband bought a candy thermometer that had a hook on the side so I wouldn’t have to hold it in the pot for 20 minutes. Well, the hook was too small for the pot, so I held the thermometer for like 2 minutes and then set a timer for 20 minutes like the recipe guesstimated (temp was only supposed to reach 230-240 max). When I came back, the thermometer was at 260. 😂😂😂 The caramel was hard as glass. Couldn’t even bite it. I quickly googled how to fix it and added water and crossed my fingers. Thankfully it did. I was so mad at my husband for not buying the melted caramel like I had told him to because I was exhausted from being nicer and perkier than normal (his parents came into town) and I didn’t want to look like a butthole parent by putting off making the caramel for the next night. Sunday nights are my daughter’s favorite because she loves to bake (says she’s practicing for her future bakery) and she loves her momma.

My husband only got to eat half of his apple before he had to put our daughter to bed, so while he was away, I ate the rest of his apple. 💁🏼‍♀️ Play with fire.....and ya might get burned.

Don’t worry, I gave him some of mine, but I let him think that there were none left.
You were justified. 😄

That's another reason why I haven't ventured into the candy-making realm yet -- it's so finicky.

Get all the ingredients into the pot, get the thermometer situated, flame-on, and then...

w a i t.... w a i t... w a i t... w a i t... w a i-- OK,NOW-NOW-NOW-ARGH-OHNOYOUMISSEDIT!!

I'm much better at cooking. I rarely follow a recipe verbatim. I'll skim it to get the gist of it, but then I wing it. I don't measure, and I adlib on the ingredients.
If I get an idea for something that might add to the depth of flavor thing I was talking about the other day, then I'll add it.

Actually, Alton's green bean casserole is one such recipe that I've morphed into my own, and now I get death threats from my family (the kind-hearted variety) if I say, "I might not make it this year." And I have to make it twice, for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Corey

Corey
You were justified. 😄

That's another reason why I haven't ventured into the candy-making realm yet -- it's so finicky.

Get all the ingredients into the pot, get the thermometer situated, flame-on, and then...

w a i t.... w a i t... w a i t... w a i t... w a i-- OK,NOW-NOW-NOW-ARGH-OHNOYOUMISSEDIT!!

I'm much better at cooking. I rarely follow a recipe verbatim. I'll skim it to get the gist of it, but then I wing it. I don't measure, and I adlib on the ingredients.
If I get an idea for something that might add to the depth of flavor thing I was talking about the other day, then I'll add it.

Actually, Alton's green bean casserole is one such recipe that I've morphed into my own, and now I get death threats from my family (the kind-hearted variety) if I say, "I might not make it this year." And I have to make it twice, for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Yum! I love green bean casserole.

Barrett

DM Supporter
View attachment 136220
Dinner tonight: steak and gravy and mashed potatoes. My favorite since I was a kid (and now my husband’s favorite). What are y’all cooking these days?
Such a small portion. 😆

Most recent thing I cooked was pork fried rice. I didn't get a picture, though. I'll try to remember next time.

Corey

Corey
Such a small portion. 😆

Most recent thing I cooked was pork fried rice. I didn't get a picture, though. I'll try to remember next time.
Haha, I know. It’s because I typically eat little “meals” throughout the day. Also, as I ate ice cream at 2am last night, I thought, “I wonder what flavor of ice cream Barrett is devouring tonight?” 😂 I was eating Bluebell’s Cookie two-step, not B&J like you.

Barrett

DM Supporter
Haha, I know. It’s because I typically eat little “meals” throughout the day. Also, as I ate ice cream at 2am last night, I thought, “I wonder what flavor of ice cream Barrett is devouring tonight?” 😂 I was eating Bluebell’s Cookie two-step, not B&J like you.
You mean you eat like a normal human being. ❤

Ha! I've actually been good for the past couple of days. No ice cream at all. :eek: (Only because I've been too lazy to go to the grocery store and deal with everything that entails these days.)

But now that you've mentioned it, I think that's something I'll have to remedy tomorrow, and make up for lost calories. 😁
I have to go pick up my glasses, anyway, so maybe I'll go to the store where I last saw some Chubby Hubby (it's not my normal store).

Last edited:

Corey

Corey
That looks delicious! It made my mouth water.

I'm on the road. The only thing I'm cooking up right now is delivery.
Oh my gosh, it’s so good. Maybe you can stop at a diner and get you some here soon. My Aunt made it for me each time I’d stay the weekend at her house as a kid. She’d already have the ingredients out on her counter, as well as ingredients in the fridge to make fried chicken and hash brown casserole for the next day, because she knew how much I loved them. My mom never cooked fried foods or red meat.

When I was pregnant with my youngest, I randomly got a craving for my Aunt Judy’s steak and gravy and her fried chicken. I had dreams about eating her food, no joke. After THREE MONTHS of thinking non-stop about her cooking, I finally asked her how to make it. Now my husband begs me to make this for dinner every couple of months.

Funny story: Me, my husband and the baby (older 2 stayed with grandparents) drove to Indiana to visit my Aunt Judy for Thanksgiving and she made us steak and gravy on the first night. When my Aunt Judy was out of ear shot, my husband whispered that my steak and gravy tasted better than hers. 😱 He sure enjoyed her other cooking/baking though. She baked two things a night and also had homemade candy everywhere on the counter. By the time we got back to Texas, my husband had gained 11 pounds. Thanks Aunt Judy. 😏

Corey

Corey
You mean you eat like a normal human being. ❤

Ha! I've actually been good for the past couple of days. No ice cream at all. :eek: (Only because I've been too lazy to go to the grocery store and deal with everything that entails these days.)

But now that you've mentioned it, I think that's something I'll have to remedy tomorrow, and make up for lost calories. 😁
I have to go pick up my glasses, anyway, so maybe I'll go to the store where I last saw some Chubby Hubby (it's not my normal store).

Don’t you even think about leaving that dang store without your ice cream, @Barrett.

jakemcduck

Oh my gosh, it’s so good. Maybe you can stop at a diner and get you some here soon. My Aunt made it for me each time I’d stay the weekend at her house as a kid. She’d already have the ingredients out on her counter, as well as ingredients in the fridge to make fried chicken and hash brown casserole for the next day, because she knew how much I loved them. My mom never cooked fried foods or red meat.

When I was pregnant with my youngest, I randomly got a craving for my Aunt Judy’s steak and gravy and her fried chicken. I had dreams about eating her food, no joke. After THREE MONTHS of thinking non-stop about her cooking, I finally asked her how to make it. Now my husband begs me to make this for dinner every couple of months.

Funny story: Me, my husband and the baby (older 2 stayed with grandparents) drove to Indiana to visit my Aunt Judy for Thanksgiving and she made us steak and gravy on the first night. When my Aunt Judy was out of ear shot, my husband whispered that my steak and gravy tasted better than hers. 😱 He sure enjoyed her other cooking/baking though. She baked two things a night and also had homemade candy everywhere on the counter. By the time we got back to Texas, my husband had gained 11 pounds. Thanks Aunt Judy. 😏
I'll definitely keep a sharp eye out for it the next time I come across an open diner. Fried chicken and hash brown casserole sounds great too. Your mom never cooked fried foods or red meat? Did you have her locked up for child abuse? Growing up our dinners were pretty bland. My mom grew up on a farm and everything was very plain. I think that's why I didn't get fat until I moved away and became a foodie and started cooking myself. I always cooked, even when I was a kid, but back in the olden days we didn't have the Internet or the Food Network and you had to buy cookbooks or magazines if you wanted something new and different.

Your Aunt Judy is a rock star. No wonder he gained 11 pounds. He was probably surprised that's all it was. Sounds like she has her own feeder tendencies. Must run in your family.

Corey

Corey
I'll definitely keep a sharp eye out for it the next time I come across an open diner. Fried chicken and hash brown casserole sounds great too. Your mom never cooked fried foods or red meat? Did you have her locked up for child abuse? Growing up our dinners were pretty bland. My mom grew up on a farm and everything was very plain. I think that's why I didn't get fat until I moved away and became a foodie and started cooking myself. I always cooked, even when I was a kid, but back in the olden days we didn't have the Internet or the Food Network and you had to buy cookbooks or magazines if you wanted something new and different.

Your Aunt Judy is a rock star. No wonder he gained 11 pounds. He was probably surprised that's all it was. Sounds like she has her own feeder tendencies. Must run in your family.
My mom mainly cooked chicken, turkey burgers and black bean burgers. To be honest though, I prefer those to this day. I don’t think she’s ever cooked fried food in her life! She’s not much of a cook at all. To her credit, she’s a successful business woman. So when I lived at home she’d get off from work and throw some chicken on a skillet with an easy side dish and a salad. There’s one thing my mom can cook really well, and it’s homemade macaroni and cheese. She uses the large shells, and the cheese just hangs out all okey-gooey in the shell’s pocket.

I’ve thought the same thing about my Aunt Judy FOR YEARS. If you walk into her house, she has her fridge, extra freezer, pantry and cabinets packed with food like she’s preparing for another Great Depression. She loved cooking for my husband. 😂