Thyroid/Synthroid

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
This site is giving me a lot of food for thought:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

I'm rethinking starting the Cytomel (T4) as a booster to the Levothyroxin (T3) and just going on dessicated thyroid. I've been doing a lot of research and it seems that real thyroid is better by far than synthetic.

Also, am starting to take adrenal supplements as soon as they arrive via mail order.

Diana_Prince245

Wise as Athena
Just as a warning, CP, my mom's been on dessicated thyroid for, oh, 50 years. Sometimes, they run out or the factory shuts down (profit margins are really low on it), and you wind up having to use synthroid again. Once you use the dessicated thyroid, the synthetic stuff doesn't work anymore and life is really difficult until they get the supply re-established.

Her symptoms seem to be way less severe than my sister's (and mine, but I don't count since they're still trying to figure out my dosage) though.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
Just as a warning, CP, my mom's been on dessicated thyroid for, oh, 50 years. Sometimes, they run out or the factory shuts down (profit margins are really low on it), and you wind up having to use synthroid again. Once you use the dessicated thyroid, the synthetic stuff doesn't work anymore and life is really difficult until they get the supply re-established.

Her symptoms seem to be way less severe than my sister's (and mine, but I don't count since they're still trying to figure out my dosage) though.
Good to know, thanks. All the research I've been doing on it, it seems that it works far more efficiently than the synthetics but there is the possibility of less availability. However, it can be found in other countries, so if one is willing to get meds from Canada and elsewhere, then it's possible that during a shortage it might not be the end of the world. I've already gotten one med from Canada when it wasn't available here for a while (B12 injections) but that definitely is a consideration.

Miss Vickie

CP, have they ever tried Provigil or Nuvigil with you? As you guys were saying, there's just so much you can do with thyroid meds and ultimately if it's the Chronic Fatigue, sometimes you need to focus on just the fatigue itself.

My provider put me on Nuvigil (which has been FDA approved for MS and its' accompanying fatigue) and it makes a huge difference. I wonder if something like that would help for you?

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
No, Vickie, but I'll mention it at my next visit. HOWEVER, the adrenal supplements I'm taking are amazing. It's only been two days but I haven't hit the fatigue wall once! Very promising.

Miss Vickie

I'm so glad those are helping you, CP! Adrenal fatigue is something we've known about in the alternative community for a long time; it's only recently that western medicine providers have picked it up and run with it. (Not unlike probiotics -- I've been using and recommending acidophilus et al for decades - literally - but you'd think they were brand new the way they're marketed. :rolleyes:)

Keep on keepin' on, and thanks for the information!

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
(Not unlike probiotics -- I've been using and recommending acidophilus et al for decades - literally - but you'd think they were brand new the way they're marketed. :rolleyes:)
I can't say enough good things about acidophillus. I turned my sister and her husband onto it.

*****Warning this is really gross lol do not proceed if you have a weak stomach

They told me at the health store that if you take the liquid acidophillus every couple hours if you are coming down with a stomach flu, it would stop you from getting it. All 3 of my sister's kids got the stomach flu and were throwing up. My sister was cleaning it up and some splattered in her mouth somehow..blech lol, anyway, she got scared and ran to the health store and got the acidophillus and was taking it every couple hours. Later that evening her stomach started turning and she knew she was trying to come down with it but the acidophillus worked. She never threw up and wound up just having some nausea and a tummy that just was kinda mildly angry lol that's much better than what the kids dealt with. Which, she wound up giving small doses to the kids too but we kinda worried about giving them too much of it. Wasn't sure if it would be ok for little bodies. So maybe it helped them some..I dunno..

But anyway, I'm a huge fan of the stuff though because I'm almost to the point of having a phobia of throwing up lol.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Interesting, LnL, I've never heard it used that way before--I'll keep it in mind! Although I'd guess it might matter if you were dealing with a bacteria or a virus?

(I always have it on hand, it is the only thing that seems to keep my IBS to a manageable level while eating fairly normal foods)

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
Interesting, LnL, I've never heard it used that way before--I'll keep it in mind! Although I'd guess it might matter if you were dealing with a bacteria or a virus?

(I always have it on hand, it is the only thing that seems to keep my IBS to a manageable level while eating fairly normal foods)
It's good for female health in general but I also have IBS and it works well for that too.

I'm not sure if it matters whether or not it's a bacteria or a virus...it sure worked for my sis though. I'm so scared of throwing up that I will damn near try anything lol

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
Has any female noticed they're more symptomatic around that time of the month, even if you're taking your meds like normal?

1love_emily

COLLEGE
I've been taking Levothyroxine for as long as I can remember. Admittedly, I'm terrible about following the rules for taking medicine. I need to get better at it.

But once your thyroid gets back in sync, you feel amazing.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Has any female noticed they're more symptomatic around that time of the month, even if you're taking your meds like normal?
When your thyroid levels are low, everything slows down as you know, periods can get less etc. So when your meds are getting you back up to normal you really notice your symptoms again, as you hadn't had them so bad while your levels were low. That was my experience anway.

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
When your thyroid levels are low, everything slows down as you know, periods can get less etc. So when your meds are getting you back up to normal you really notice your symptoms again, as you hadn't had them so bad while your levels were low. That was my experience anway.
Maybe that's what it is. The symptoms are so aggrivating that any sign of them drives me crazy lol

fritzi

If I read this thread correctly, then it's all about hypothyroidism.
Since it seems to be "the" thyroid thread, I decided to post with the opposite diagnosis anyway.

Well - I have been having recurring episodes of hyperthyroidism due to Hashimoto Thyreoiditis (inflammation of the thyroid) for the past almost 18 years by now.

Doc's always get a weird look on their face that someone who isn't rail thin has it - they all immediately assume it must be in the phase where it turns to hypothyroid - but so far all symptoms and blood tests show full-fledged hyperthyroidism.
That means a racing heart beat, heating up quickly, a slight tremor in the hands, not being able to sleep, weight loss and queasiness.

I'm taking thiamizol again for it - so far with very slow progress. And I'm also taking selenium and B12 to support the healing process.

Does anybody else on here maybe have any similiar experiences, maybe some advice on what to do, any other therapy suggestions?
Thank you.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
If I read this thread correctly, then it's all about hypothyroidism.
Since it seems to be "the" thyroid thread, I decided to post with the opposite diagnosis anyway.

Well - I have been having recurring episodes of hyperthyroidism due to Hashimoto Thyreoiditis (inflammation of the thyroid) for the past almost 18 years by now.

Doc's always get a weird look on their face that someone who isn't rail thin has it - they all immediately assume it must be in the phase where it turns to hypothyroid - but so far all symptoms and blood tests show full-fledged hyperthyroidism.
That means a racing heart beat, heating up quickly, a slight tremor in the hands, not being able to sleep, weight loss and queasiness.

I'm taking thiamizol again for it - so far with very slow progress. And I'm also taking selenium and B12 to support the healing process.

Does anybody else on here maybe have any similiar experiences, maybe some advice on what to do, any other therapy suggestions?
Thank you.
I don't have any experience with it, except that I recall Barbara Bush has it, and isn't thin either.

Both forms, hyper and hypo, I've been told by my doctor are caused by or can lead to Hashimoto's. My sister had undiagnosed Hashimoto's.

So far my symptoms of hypo are in check with levothyroxin and B12 injections.

EMH1701

I've been on it a couple of months. One thing I have learned is to set my alarm clock earlier because of the having to wait to eat anything part. I read that coffee also should not be taken with it, as it interferes with absorption. So, water only until the time limit is up.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I've been on it a couple of months. One thing I have learned is to set my alarm clock earlier because of the having to wait to eat anything part. I read that coffee also should not be taken with it, as it interferes with absorption. So, water only until the time limit is up.
I wake up in the AM to go to the bathroom, take it with a full glass of water, then snooze for another half hour so when I get up I can eat something and keep up the metabolism. It's worked well for me this way for over a year.

EMH1701

I wake up in the AM to go to the bathroom, take it with a full glass of water, then snooze for another half hour so when I get up I can eat something and keep up the metabolism. It's worked well for me this way for over a year.
Sometimes I get insomnia and wake up way early, like 4:30 AM. I take it then, but the nights I don't get insomnia and wake up when my alarm goes off at 6 are the nights I rush around. I wish my company had a better cafeteria, but the food is mediocre and overpriced. Otherwise, I would eat breakfast there. As it is, the only thing I buy there is coffee because my company chose to be cheapskates and took away the free stuff.