Tiny & Edie: Oldies But Goodies

Discussion in 'Weighty Fine Arts' started by RVGleason, May 20, 2008.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. May 28, 2008 #41

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

Now, let's get back on topic, shall we? :D

RV :eat1:

Wobble.jpg

2. May 28, 2008 #42

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

There are some cartoons I have in my files that make me laugh when I rediscover them. This is one of them.

Duck.jpg

3. May 28, 2008 #43

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

Now to criticize for something else!

Why don't you just add the different comics in one post, just stack them up, or use an off-site image hosting website, and give a link(either standard HTTP link, or one that uses a thumbnail of the picture from said site).

4. May 28, 2008 #44

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

That's why I have a Yahoo group that features my cartoons and written stories that I mentioned earlier, which has quite a large membership. Can easily be found on my profile and by clicking on my Homepage.

This thread was started just to revisit some of the cartoons which have been previously posted on the Board.

Shall we check out your deviantArt page, EK? I see you have a Homepage link to it on your profile.

5. May 28, 2008 #45

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

Actually, I was suggesting to do that sorta thing, since multi-posting kinda pisses me off.
    A bit of a forum pet-peeve if you will.

Also, don't expect anything that's unrealistically good, I'm a lazy hack author with chronic writer's block.

6. May 28, 2008 #46

moore2me

moore2me

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank

Dear EK, I think the difference in credibility and creditability would not be a spell checker thingy but more of a "use" or grammar thingy. They both are spelled correctly, but have different uses.

Remember spell checker is just a tool. You, the tool user, must decide if the tool is working right or not. For example, spell checker often fails to correct the word "can not" which is spelled "cannot". Both are spelled right, I have to learn when spell checker needs to be overridden.

As I sit at my computer, I have six dictionaries within arm's reach, a Thesaurus, a Spelling Book, and I still make mistakes.

7. May 28, 2008 #47

Observer

Observer

Observer

Editor/Writer/Commentator

Heh-heh. You know what is actually happening here? RV's cartoons, and his Yahoo group, are getting more viewership and increasing his fanbase by all the discussion! And for a fraction of the effort of churning out new cartoons.

Controversy, some one in Hollywood once observed, isn't always bad. It at least shows you old friends still care about you and establishes name recognition with new ones.

Here, by the way, is a link to RV's Yahoo site. Its been around since 2004, which means it predates the current Dimensions Library forums. New post activity there this month is the greatest since Jan. 2006.

8. May 28, 2008 #48

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

You know, I'm starting to think that you have no semblance of a life, whatsoever...

9. May 28, 2008 #49

moore2me

moore2me

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank

I assume you're talking about moi.
    Boy, you can say that again. You have no idea how true this is. I am working on my second life now, which is boring, dull, and for a young pup like yourself would be torturous. However, I also collect books (ergo the dictionaries). I have almost a thousand novels, reference books, and textbooks, and routinely give many away to friends and charities every year. (One of my favorites in my collection is a 125 year old textbook.)

10. May 28, 2008 #50

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

The funny thing about all this is that EK is criticizing my Older comics which were done in my old style. I noticed he hasn't criticized my newer comics because it's quite evident that there's an perceptible change in my style. This is the same phenomena that happens to all artists. Your newer stuff is much different from your early stuff. The more comics you do, the more your style changes. You know what works and what doesn't.

I don't know if I'll repost my earliest comics here as they're pretty primitive compared to what I'm doing now. I think I have a few posted on my Yahoo group. If you want to see my earliest work, just go there. (This is what's known as the shameless plug.) ;)

And I do want to thank EK for helping bring newer members to my Yahoo group. I couldn't come up with better publicity if I tried. Way to go, Big Guy! :D

Cheers,

Kick.jpg

11. May 29, 2008 #51

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

By newer comics, you mean the comic thread that's above this one?

I honestly see no difference between the styles.

12. May 29, 2008 #52

Observer

Observer

Observer

Editor/Writer/Commentator

Umm - I think you mean "post" not "thread," but note the date. The one you're pointing at is from 2003.

13. May 29, 2008 #53

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

EK, I have other posts on the Fine Arts page besides the Oldies But Goodies thread. I just recently posted the following new cartoons:

Big Guts
    http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41112

A Tasty Treat
    http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41474

And the newest one I posted yesterday, Tiny Loses His Lunch
    http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41586

These are all new cartoons and don't fit the theme of the Oldies But Goodies thread.

You'll note my style is discernibly different than in the earlier cartoons. The last one was based on a real incident that happened to me the other day.

Funny thing, I don't have too much of a problem with writer's block. It's more a matter of just sitting down and finding the time to put the cartoons together.

RV

14. May 29, 2008 #54

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

Right, guess I was wrong on the last account, since I thought it was new, but now looking at the ones from 2008(thank you little date upon the picture), I can honestly say I see no difference, other than a slight change in the hues upon the clothing.

15. May 29, 2008 #55

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

Guess EK couldn't see that I've changed the faces a bit to give them more expressions and the way I structured the layouts to make them a little more visually interesting. Also, my drawing style is a little more smoother than what it was when I first started the cartoons. The changes are subtle, but they're there. (But then again, EK didn't see the years the cartoons were made on the corners of the pictures.)

The posted cartoon is from last year, so it still fits the thread's theme.

Overboard.jpg

16. May 30, 2008 #56

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

Here's a YouTube link to my Tiny & Edie animation, 'Milkshakes'. The drawings are from a few years ago and the cartoon was posted on YouTube last year.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vQKBMCwhLXA

My friend Geeperton helped to animate my drawings for this cartoon. He's going to help me in putting together some more animated Tiny & Edie's. I may even try my hand at doing the voice for Tiny, with my dear friend PlumpLin doing the voice of Edie.

Stay 'Tooned!

17. May 31, 2008 #57

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

A double scoop of Tiny & Edie today.

Rub.jpg

Muscle.jpg

18. May 31, 2008 #58

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

Honestly, am I the only one who can see that there is no viable difference in the comics over the different years?

19. May 31, 2008 #59

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

As previously mentioned, there is a subtle change, primarily in the facial expressions.

To answer you directly: Yes, you are the only one. :rolleyes:

20. Jun 2, 2008 #60

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

earthlykaiser

I'd rather hear it from someone else, preferably one that doesn't make me want to punch their faces in for such an air of unwarranted self-importance.