Tipping Food Delivery Workers

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
Ok...so... I generally tip between $2.00-$4.00 when I have food delivered. It depends on the distance they are travelling to me, the quantity/weight of bags, food, containers, and of course the total amount of the charge.

My question is, so many places have a delivery fee built right in now. So when I order a $12.00 pizza, with a $2.00 delivery fee on top of that...do I still tip the full $3.00 on TOP of that, does the delivery fee go to the restaurant itself and not the driver?

How does everyone else do this??

Sugar

The delivery fee does NOT go to the driver at all. The charge is basically for boxes, plastic cutlery and basically another way to gouge.

I always tip on top of that...keeps spit out of food and drivers happy to do you favors when they can.

toni

In the know
It depends on the place. Someone I knew delivered pizza for a while and the the charge was split 50/50 between the restaurant and the driver. Plus the driver got an hourly rate.

It pisses me off to tip on top of that fee but I do it anyway. You never know the circumstances.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
I usually just disregard the fee that's added in.. it's usually only a dollar around here. I only tip 2-3 dollars though unless I'm getting an obscenely large amount of food for a party or something.

olwen

Disco Bear
Where I am the delivery guys either walk or ride their bikes and usually delivery fees aren't added on top of the order unless you are ordering from a $$$ type of restaurant. And most places in my neighborhood only deliver in a 10-15 block radius so they don't have to go far. I never order from expensive places, so I always tip. If I can't afford to tip, I call it in and pick it up. My building has an elevator (if I lived in a walk-up I'd just tip $5) so I generally tip $3-$5 depending on the weather. If it's raining or snowing I just always tip $5.

In general tho, I don't sweat the tips and charges too much. I just pay it. If I can't afford it, then I just don't eat out or order takeout.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
Where I am the delivery guys either walk or ride their bikes and usually delivery fees aren't added on top of the order unless you are ordering from a $$$ type of restaurant. And most places in my neighborhood only deliver in a 10-15 block radius so they don't have to go far. I never order from expensive places, so I always tip. If I can't afford to tip, I call it in and pick it up. My building has an elevator (if I lived in a walk-up I'd just tip $5) so I generally tip $3-$5 depending on the weather. If it's raining or snowing I just always tip $5.

In general tho, I don't sweat the tips and charges too much. I just pay it. If I can't afford it, then I just don't eat out or order takeout.
I don't live in an apartment but two of my friends do and the delivery people won't bring it into the apartment building.. they have to like, walk outside on the sidewalk to get it. I think that's kind dumb personally.

olwen

Disco Bear
I don't live in an apartment but two of my friends do and the delivery people won't bring it into the apartment building.. they have to like, walk outside on the sidewalk to get it. I think that's kind dumb personally.
Unfortunately, it's not unheard of for delivery guys to get robbed or something worse when they deliver to dangerous neighborhoods. So there are a lot of places that just don't deliver at all or that have that policy so if something happens to the delivery guy there are witnesses.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
Unfortunately, it's not unheard of for delivery guys to get robbed or something worse when they deliver to dangerous neighborhoods. So there are a lot of places that just don't deliver at all or that have that policy so if something happens to the delivery guy there are witnesses.
Ohh that makes sense.. I mean they are in an upscale neighborhood but you never know I suppose.

LoveBHMS

default title
Where I work if you call in an order over the phone and use a credit card or house account, they add a "gratuity" which the owner pockets. It sucks but it happens. A "delivery charge" might be the same thing.

I'd give the delivery person cash to ensure he's getting it.

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I don't want to leave a tip, I'm happy to. I just wasn't sure if it was standard to make a 20% tip like I would in a sit down restaurant or if a few dollars was OK.

Almost everything I order comes from within 5 blocks and it's never been more than around $22.00, so I feel OK with a tip in the range of $2-$4.00.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't cheating the kids that deliver, but it sounds like it's about average.

When I have groceries delivered it's a whole other ball game though...3rd floor apartment and they bring LOTS of really heavy bags upstairs and right into my kitchen...I usually give about $15.00 for that..more if it's alot more stuff or extra boxes of kitty litter, and for some reason I find myself tipping more if it's first thing in the morning or in the early part of the delivery "window".

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher
I overtip the delivery person most times. No less than $5. I use delivery a lot and I feel tipping well gives the guy incentive to bring my stuff around first, be quick, etc. One time the delivery person took forever to get to my house. When he got there he gave me a complimentary 2 liter bottle of soda because he was tardy. If I plan on using a place often I want to paint myself as "Mrs. Rocksonrawks" - a priority customer.

I noticed this method doesn't work with Peapod. (grocery delivery) No matter how generous the tip I'm still last on the list and sometimes stuff is missing or in bad shape so now I just give the standard.

lypeaches

I'm with you Lilly. $4 is the absolute mininum for me, and usually I do $5 or more, depending on the size of the order. For one thing, in my town, there aren't a lot of delivery options, so I want good service. The other thing is, I figure that really, the extra $1 or $2 isn't going to change my lifestyle, and waiters/delivery people have a difficult, thankless job, they generally appreciate it.

LisaInNC

As someone who delivers food for a living, I appreciate all tips. I have to be honest...I give priority to the better tippers. I know this sounds wrong but gas is pricey as is maintenance on my car. Not to mention since minimum wage went up, all delivery drivers have been put on the tipped employee list and make only 5 or 6 dollars an hour. The delivery fee is usually split...but its not used to cover the boxes and such...its to make up for the new minimum wage...lol which we do not get. The split varies so its usually better to just ask the driver how much of the fee they get. I know the dominos here in my town...they charge $1.75 and the drivers only get $.75.
As for the meeting the people outside of an apartment building. That is a safety thing. You would be amazed at the drivers who have been robbed by people hiding in stairwells. And yes, you can get robbed in ritzy areas too. As a matter of fact, most people setting up that kind of thing would more than likely use a better area to setup the driver...because the driver might feel a little more comfortable in a nicer building and come on up anyway.

p.s.
Since I graduated from college, I have not been able to find a job in my field...so if anyone would like to save me from the food hell I live in and give me a job, please email me. =)

CurvaceousBBWLover

Primordial
I used to work as a delivery driver for 2 large chains. The delivery fee always goes to the store. The driver never sees a cent of that fee. Yes, you should tip the driver.

LoveBHMS

default title
As someone who delivers food for a living, I appreciate all tips. I have to be honest...I give priority to the better tippers. I know this sounds wrong but gas is pricey as is maintenance on my car. Not to mention since minimum wage went up, all delivery drivers have been put on the tipped employee list and make only 5 or 6 dollars an hour. The delivery fee is usually split...but its not used to cover the boxes and such...its to make up for the new minimum wage...lol which we do not get. The split varies so its usually better to just ask the driver how much of the fee they get. I know the dominos here in my town...they charge $1.75 and the drivers only get $.75.
As for the meeting the people outside of an apartment building. That is a safety thing. You would be amazed at the drivers who have been robbed by people hiding in stairwells. And yes, you can get robbed in ritzy areas too. As a matter of fact, most people setting up that kind of thing would more than likely use a better area to setup the driver...because the driver might feel a little more comfortable in a nicer building and come on up anyway.

p.s.
Since I graduated from college, I have not been able to find a job in my field...so if anyone would like to save me from the food hell I live in and give me a job, please email me. =)
It does not sound wrong in the least. Any tipped employee still getting $5 or $6/hr is coming out a lot better than somebody in, say, Massachuseets who gets $2.33.

At any rate, capitalism dictates that those who pay more money get more/better stuff. A customer who has a history of paying you more money and thus showing more respect for your work is entitled to get your priority service.

I'm a server and was recently training somebody new. I made a huge point of not only showing him how to work the computer and explain the difference between ordering a martini up or on the rocks---but also introducing him to the regulars and insisting he remember what they drink, how they take their drinks, and their particular food needs. While I was drilling him about a particular couple he asked if they tipped well. I stopped in my tracks and said "Of course...why else do you think I'm making sure they always get the white glove service from you and interupting your training to make sure you remember what kind of whiskey he likes? If they were poor tippers I would not give a flying f**k about their needs."

When he got there he gave me a complimentary 2 liter bottle of soda because he was tardy.
I'd have done the same thing. Our regular nice people/good tippers can always count on us going the extra mile for them. I've bought drinks for good customers on my own tab and cribbed table scraps for their dogs. It's good business sense....no different from a salesperson buying lunch for a good client or sending corporate gifts, just done on a smaller scale. If somebody comes into my workplace once or twice a week and always asks to sit in my section and tips above 20%, I'm more than happy to buy them a drink when they're having a bad night. They stay happy and keep coming back and I keep earning $$$ from them.

Latest posts