Tips, Tricks and Tools of the Trade

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
Years ago when I bought my Mama her Kitchenaid, I put it on layaway! It was the only way I could afford it.

Nowadays, my must haves in the kitchen are my crock pot, several cutting boards for different purposes, and I have one of those handheld mesh metal strainers I use ALL the time. Once I bought it, I couldn't figure out how I lived without it, haha. I cook just for two, so I'm always using it to drain cans, rinse things, wash a little produce, etc. I also bought 3 sets of measuring cups and spoons at the dollar store, because I always seem to need them for wet or dry once I've used them for the opposite when cooking and baking.
Ditto on the multiple sets. :)

ConnieLynn

has left the building.
Ditto on the kitchenaid. I really don't do appliances, but I've been using my heavyduty mixer for 12 or 13 years now and well worth the cost. It is the only appliance that I give counterspace. I also use the heck out of measuring glasses - like shot glasses but marked with standard measures. Plus good knives that fit my hand and lots of small plastic cutting boards.

ETA: Poultry shears

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
Nowadays, my must haves in the kitchen are my crock pot
There's a new crock pot due out on the market in March that works with a smart phone. You can turn it on with you phone while at work! I think it's out of my price range, though.

several cutting boards for different purposes, and I have one of those handheld mesh metal strainers I use ALL the time. I also bought 3 sets of measuring cups and spoons at the dollar store, because I always seem to need them for wet or dry once I've used them for the opposite when cooking and baking.
I just looked at a strainer yesterday ...

Ditto on the multiple sets. :)
... and I think I may need to double up on the measuring cups and spoons. My mom does this, too.

Ditto on the kitchenaid. I really don't do appliances, but I've been using my heavyduty mixer for 12 or 13 years now and well worth the cost. It is the only appliance that I give counterspace. I also use the heck out of measuring glasses - like shot glasses but marked with standard measures. Plus good knives that fit my hand and lots of small plastic cutting boards.

ETA: Poultry shears
I'm sold on the kitchenaid and will check out the shot glasses online! Do you put your poultry shears in the dishwasher? I've always wondered about getting them really clean after using them on raw poultry.

Thank you all so much! These are great suggestions. :)

supersoup

Nice to meet you beanbag.
Oh, good call on the poultry shears!! I forgot how often I use those. I only cook for two, so often I'll just use those to chunk up a chicken breast for a recipe, or cut up a few slices of bacon to render. I just open mine completely and run them through the dishwasher; I just make sure to grab them out as soon as it's done and dry them with a towel.

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
So the poultry shears are on the list, and I found the Kitchenaid on sale. I may end up getting it sooner than I expected!

EMH1701

The tip I have is actually from Julia Child. If you're making rice, don't use a spoon to stir it. Use a fork. It gets fluffier and the kernels don't break.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Speaking of rice, if you like it as much as I do, I'd recommend getting a rice cooker! My in-laws gave us one as a wedding gift, and it's been used at least once a week for thirty years. You put in the rice and water or broth, plug it in, and you don't have to check it, stir it, or, generally speaking, worry about it until it announces, with a soft 'pop,' the arrival of perfectly cooked rice. This lets you concentrate on preparing the curry or whatever else you're planning to put on the rice.

ConnieLynn

has left the building.
My favorite tip is also from Julia Child. With baking, when you can smell it, it's done. I've followed this rule for years. Keeps you from overcooking chocolate baked goods (brownies) and from burning breads :)

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
I put the rice cooker on the list, and I found a kitchenaid stand mixer at a kitchen outlet for a really, really good price! :)

Tip: Put smaller or lightweight cutting boards on a kitchen towel, pot holder or paper towel to keep the from slipping while chopping.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
couple of hints from my kitchen

i use one of those wire egg slicers to do hubs mushrooms. those things are crazy hard to hold on to once you wash them...plus i get even slices

i tend to buy cheese in a block as i find it lasts longer than cheese that comes pre-sliced. when i want to shred some for my salad i use a peeler to whittle away at 1 end. it takes up less room in the dishwasher than a grater.

i use parchment under pretty much everything i put in the oven, not just cookies. i find it keeps my pans from getting that baked on grease, allows more even cooking without burning and makes it easier to get things off the trays.

my in laws eat out alot and save the small kfc side containers for us. they are microwave/dishwasher safe and re-usable. they are awesome for taking snacks for my daughter, using to freeze leftovers or to send messy stuff for lunch with hub.

i save/buy tin foil pans to use on the grill. i put veg and a bit of water in a pan and set on one side of the grill. then i set another tin pan on top to form the lid. i let them cook on the grill while i do the chicken and they steam while i cook.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
i use parchment under pretty much everything i put in the oven, not just cookies. i find it keeps my pans from getting that baked on grease, allows more even cooking without burning and makes it easier to get things off the trays.
I use a silicone-covered baking mat to do the same thing. It lets your baked goods cook evenly, plus you can knead dough on it: everything rinses right off under the tap. You can find out more about it here.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
thanks for the link! i had a silicone mat, but it got lost in one of my moves. will check this one out.

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
I use a silicone-covered baking mat to do the same thing. It lets your baked goods cook evenly, plus you can knead dough on it: everything rinses right off under the tap. You can find out more about it here.
I love mine, and I didn't know you could knead dough on it. Good tip!

Latest posts