Tired of hearing about MJ

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

Ok, this may make me seem like a cold hearted bitch, but I am so tired of hearing about Michael Jackson. I turn on the news because I want to see news, you know, about things going on in the world and ALL of the channels here local and national are ONLY about MJ.

Other people have died today. Wars are still going on. Crime did not stop happening. Politicians did not stop lying. MP's did not stop stealing money.

I understand the need to pay tribute to those who have made a difference, but come on! Is one human life worth more than the next??? I understand he made a difference in a lot of lives, but what about people in the red cross in foreign countries who die? We never hear about them and they are doing good for people....real good.

Grrr. I've probably pissed everyone off, but I really hate this obsession people have with celebrities. They are just people. People are born, people die.

PS-RIP MJ, this is nothing personal, you were human like the rest of us.

Bafta1

You cold hearted person!!!!!!!!!

(Only kidding!!!!!)

Mathias

SAMCRO
There's always the internet. At least then you can pick and choose what news you want to see.

Red

Turn off Sky News maybe? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I ditched the telly just so I wouldn't have to watch stuff like that. I agree with what you're saying, it's over the top and you're right people die all the time. I just stream stuff online when I fancy watching something and I check BBC news now and then and have the radio on to make sure the world hasn't ended.

When at my dads house thought it's a different story he has CNN/Sky/BBC news on 24/7 and it just seems to suck me into the perpetual loop of doing nothing, couldn't deal with that everyday.

Bafta1

When at my dads house thought it's a different story he has CNN/Sky/BBC news on 24/7 and it just seems to suck me into the perpetual loop of doing nothing, couldn't deal with that everyday.
SO true! My Mum's friend, who actually works for a national newspaper, says that a day on which she's read or engaged with the news is a day wasted. It is a loop that sucks you in.

Biglover

Medieval music singer
I turned on my computer, went to AOL, and.... MJ this, MJ that, a whole big thing about him. That's fine, he was a real talent. What made me mad was, not one single thing about Farrah, remember her?

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

I turned on my computer, went to AOL, and.... MJ this, MJ that, a whole big thing about him. That's fine, he was a real talent. What made me mad was, not one single thing about Farrah, remember her?

I have not heard one single thing about her in the UK. Not a one. I didn't even know until people mentioned MJ being "another one".

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
You'll likely be hearing about Michael Jackson on the news for a while unless something huge happens in the next couple of weeks.

The reason why this has been seized and given wall-to-wall coverage is because one of the other major stories- the current events in Iran- is almost totally inaccessible to the media. Correspondents and media aren't being allowed into the country; most of what we're seeing at this point is stock footage or official releases, and the news media has no real way of knowing what's going on.

So they fill the time with just about everything else- some of it worthwhile, most of it not.

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

You'll likely be hearing about Michael Jackson on the news for a while unless something huge happens in the next couple of weeks.

The reason why this has been seized and given wall-to-wall coverage is because one of the other major stories- the current events in Iran- is almost totally inaccessible to the media. Correspondents and media aren't being allowed into the country; most of what we're seeing at this point is stock footage or official releases, and the news media has no real way of knowing what's going on.

So they fill the time with just about everything else- some of it worthwhile, most of it not.

Now don't get me wrong, I expect to see stuff about MJ....but damn. All day I have been looking for news. Sky, BBC, CNN and it is all on a loop of MJ. I wish they would mix a little bit in between ya know?

Mathias

SAMCRO
She's been on the front page of Yahoo. Do they have that in the UK?

Mathias

SAMCRO
I'm British, Mathias... sarcasm is our disease. I'm sorry, I was just being facetious.
Normally when you want to convey sarcasm over the internet you use the /s tag after what you say. It would make things alot clearer next time.

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
They've been having "tributes" to Farrah for the last two months. I'm sorry that they're both gone, but personally I'm pretty tired of hearing about her as well.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
They've been having "tributes" to Farrah for the last two months. I'm sorry that they're both gone, but personally I'm pretty tired of hearing about her as well.
Very sad- but, I think the ongoing news on MJ will exceed anything that may be mentioned about Farrah. You have upcoming legal battles over the sale of his image ,music etc. who gets the money, creditors, family, custody of the children, who controls the estate etc. etc.

This reminds me of the Cable show that was hosted by AJ Benza called "Mystery and Scandals".

There was an episode on violent death of former Little Rascals child star Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer. He was fatally shot over a money dispute on January 21st,1959. However, in death Alfalfa had the unfortunate timing. Famed Hollywood Director Cecil B Demille ( 10 Commandments) also passed away on January 21st. Switzer's death goes unnoticed.