Tired of hearing about MJ

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Mathias

SAMCRO
How's this thread going to fade if it's bumped up by his hissy fits? :confused:

Risible

Monkey Daze
Keep the thread on track, people. The original topic is MJ, not other posters.

/mod

MsAppleCinnamon

MJ was the most popular person in music history..
when elvis died i dont think there was a big riot as they are doing with MJ.
i dont remember at all.
when anna nicole smith pass they talked about her for about 4 months or so, and really who is anna nicole smith, other then she was fat and lost a lot of weight,.
so imagine about michael.

Sandie_Zitkus

In Rememberance
In Remembrance
FWIW - I watched some of the memorial, because I remember how I felt when John Lennon was killed, and I thought if nothing else I could at least watch the memorial. I thought it was very touching especially Mariah Carey. For the fans who are grieving, I felt horrible. I admit how I feel about the man meant nothing when faced with the grief of so many people who loved him.

It was powerful.

FaxMachine1234

you know it
I really hope we can keep talking about the Beatles here so the thread will get so derailed that'll it'll get shut down, because frankly I'm...tired of hearing about Michael Jackson. Hey, was that the moral of the thread after all? Well played, guys!

NoraBadora

Right now is one of those times I'm actually really glad I don't have cable. lol

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Right now is one of those times I'm actually really glad I don't have cable. lol
Oh...let me catch you up to date!

Ok...well, Joe Jackson, that abusive hunk of poo, now says that he wants to help raise MJ's kids and help them become " strong Jacksons ". He is convinced that there was foul play, and I am pretty sure he mentioned the CIA.....ok, not really, but, wouldn't that be a hoot?

Let's seeeee...lil Blanket is pretty much an orphan, so I might have a good shot at raising him...* fingers crossed *.

Mikey's body is still not under dirt, unless you count all the dirt about how big a drug addict he was....whooooooeeeeeee...that guy could toss a couple a hundred of pills back...nightly!

He is not allowed near Heaven's ( yeah, he bought himself a place, after Satan said he was partial to New Age music, and could not stand the hiccup and eeee-heeee singing ) Chucky Cheese....cuz...well....you know...awwwwwwwkward!

No cable needed!

Wagimawr

You want to talk about people who REALLY changed music?
Anybody that says Michael Jackson changed music isn't thinking very carefully. He didn't change anything about music; he was simply very VERY good at what he did. Thriller's still one of the top-selling albums in the world (and 9 million more than the first Beatles record on the list; not to say the public's always right about music, but there's not a lot of crap at the top of the pile) and it's for a good reason; every track on that record is solid.

Besides, McCartney's even on Thriller - can't go wrong with that.

*cough* Okay, so you totally can. Here's how you go right with it. Smart of ol' Paulie, giving MJ the crap song and keeping the good ones for his own record. ;)

On the downside, Michael pretty much gave the goahead for all the pop garbage that we all so love (boybands, pop "tarts", etc); can't sing? No problem, let's fix you up in the studio real nice and make you dance so you have an excuse for not singing live. Fortunately Jackson had talent out his ass, and could CHOOSE to dance his way through the '80s and '90s.

Not going to lie, I'm certainly tired of the news media talking about him, but that's only because it's becoming increasingly clear that the whole thing is going to last for yeeeeeeeeearrs, what with the wills and the children and the drugs and the dad... Absolutely Michael Jackson was a troubled soul, and if he is truly the pedophile that he has been claimed to be, it didn't just come from nowhere.

The thing that gets me is when someone known for music is rarely talked about in regards to his music. Sure, he hasn't put out anything new since 2001, but are we really such an "out of sight, out of mind" culture that the man has to DIE to get his music back in regular rotation on the radio? Seriously, "oldies" stations are diving into the 80s fairly regularly, and Thriller only came out in 1982. The saddest thing about this is that (depending on who you ask) Michael Jackson was set to make or break the rest of his career with these 50 shows. It's one of the great tragedies of music, and that puts Jackson in esteemed company:

What if Buddy Holly had not died in the plane crash and gone on to make revolutionary jumps in music, not unlike some of the changes the Beatles later made?
What if Stevie Ray Vaughan had survived his helicopter ride and continued to be a clean living guitar virtuoso?
What if John Lennon had not been shot and managed to restart his career, not only with two records (one released posthumously), but a potential concert tour?

Whatever you may think about Michael Jackson and his strange decisions in life, to deny the man's force in music, even if it was not a revolutionary one, is to shut yourself off to a great well of talent, and if reports are to believe, one that was still untapped*.

*An alternate, yet sadder interpretation of events is that Thriller was the absolute best thing Michael Jackson could have ever done, and that everything he did past that was merely an attempt to recapture his 1982 glory, and he knew it.

Santaclear

User
I agree with most of that, Wagimawr. I wouldn't blame Jackson for the talentless boy bands tho.

He was very, very talented. "Changing music" is a stretch, mostly because by the time he came along with Thriller, the music biz had become so corporate and entrenched (pop music, anyway) that no one could change it. Seems like the industry only keeps regurgitating the same crap over and over.

Jackson looks so happy and healthy in that pic!

GoldenDelicious

It's the naughty step 4U!
It's so clear that you'd think MJ made a pass at him or something... really it's just sad at this point.

It's also such a lost cause to hope MJ will fade into obscurity. The man changed music, changed music videos, is hugely responsible for MTV taking off the way it did, and still, by a WIDE margin, has the highest selling album of all time (selling now better than it has in years no less). If anything, the only thing that will fade into obscurity will be the unproven charges of sexual assault that sadly marred the man's life near the end. By then those who want to cling so dogmatically to his "guilt" will be just as well respected as those waiting for Elvis to return from the mothership. And the legend shall remain above all that other unsubstantiated crap.
I agree, he did change music and a lot about the industry. He was the first black artist shown on MTV WHICH PAVED THE WAY FOR OTHER BLACK ARTISTS and music of black origin to really take off. Without MJ there wouldn'y be MOBO awards today. He broke racial boundaries and stereotypes. Of course there were many great black (and white)artists before his time, including his own musical influences such as James Brown. I think anyone whi can't get past their own personal dislike for the man to recognise his musical achievements simply has no taste in music or have been asleep for the last 40 odd years.

William

I witness a miracle this morning!!

I turned on Cable Headline News and they were not talking about MJ!!!

They were roasting Jon's nuts, That is Jon of Jon and Kate and Plus 8.

Now someone will have to start a "Tired of hearing about Jon & Kate" thread!

William :)

I agree, he did change music and a lot about the industry. He was the first black artist shown on MTV WHICH PAVED THE WAY FOR OTHER BLACK ARTISTS and music of black origin to really take off. Without MJ there wouldn'y be MOBO awards today. He broke racial boundaries and stereotypes. Of course there were many great black (and white)artists before his time, including his own musical influences such as James Brown. I think anyone whi can't get past their own personal dislike for the man to recognise his musical achievements simply has no taste in music or have been asleep for the last 40 odd years.

mergirl

Micheal Jackson was black??
:happy:
Muwaff muwaff..someone had to say it.. and they possibly already did!

When i see the georgous wee boy in the Jackson 5 and the beautiful 20's something 'off the wall' Mj it makes me sad knowing what he would become.

Anyway, anyone who says you can seperate the music from the man is wrong. When he is singing a beautiful love song.. more than likely he was thinking about a minor when he sang it. Though, you are safe with the Jackson 5 music cause as far as i know you cant be a pedophile till your 16!
:)

Les Toil

He was very, very talented. "Changing music" is a stretch,
Can't agree more. When "Thriller" came out, Prince's "1999" came out. At that time I always said MJ is an entertainer and Prince is an artist. When it comes to R 'n' B pop, Prince was infinitely more of a ground-breaking maverick than MJ was. But MJ was the ultimate entertainer.

As a matter of fact, I can't help but to be at awe of his talent when he was just a wee child. I mean, after 40 years I'm still blown away that a child could have possessed such vocal flavor and power.

Les Toil

One last thing. I know there's gonna be some people out there that will be surprised to hear me say this, but there's aspects of this kid that are fresher than Michael. If he and the other guys went on tour, I'd sooo be there screaming like a teenage banshee.

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Last night, MJ appeared in my dreams.

He showed me around the outside of his house. He wanted to point out where he was going to put the slide...and the mole farm.

MJ...I am tired of you being in my dreams!!!!.....even if it is just once.

:mad:

morepushing13

It is pretty crazy how much time people have devoted to him...I feel kind of like a bad person for it but I am ready for the world to move on...I guess MJ just didn't do it for my life like he did for others...

Group builder