TLC : Hot and Heavy - OH BOY THIS IS GOING TO BE INTERESTING

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

waldo

I always have mixed feelings about shows like this. I love that fat people and those who love them are getting national attention, but I'm afraid that sooner or later this will get twisted into something negative.

Like, there's a couple ways to look at these relationships, but either can potentially be offensive. If you say weight doesn't matter to you, you just love who you love and can see beauty in a variety of sizes, people act like you're some kind of martyr (especially if you are slim and "conventionally attractive"), which is insulting to the BBW/BHM.

And if you admit you actually prefer larger folks, people act like at best you're a loser who is "settling for what you can get" and who has a sour grapes attitude towards the "hot girls/guys" you supposedly can't attract (especially if you are fat yourself), or at worst like you're some kind of sick freak with manipulative and possibly sadistic intentions, both of which are insulting to you and your partner(s).

I have a glimmer of hope that increased visibility will lead to increased understanding of our community, but history has made me skeptical.
Yeah as an FA (since forever, aka puberty) and now just about to turn 51 years old (so I have been around the block and seen a few things in my day), I think you are 100% on point. It remains a very tricky subject matter, but one that at least TLC appears to be trying to portray in a fair manner. Of course we are only 1 episode in, but the initial impression I get is that all 3 of the guys that are being profiled are decent people, and already we are seeing them have to reconcile the 'trade-offs' between their desires and other practical life issues.

Group builder