TLC : Hot and Heavy - OH BOY THIS IS GOING TO BE INTERESTING

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

waldo

I always have mixed feelings about shows like this. I love that fat people and those who love them are getting national attention, but I'm afraid that sooner or later this will get twisted into something negative.

Like, there's a couple ways to look at these relationships, but either can potentially be offensive. If you say weight doesn't matter to you, you just love who you love and can see beauty in a variety of sizes, people act like you're some kind of martyr (especially if you are slim and "conventionally attractive"), which is insulting to the BBW/BHM.

And if you admit you actually prefer larger folks, people act like at best you're a loser who is "settling for what you can get" and who has a sour grapes attitude towards the "hot girls/guys" you supposedly can't attract (especially if you are fat yourself), or at worst like you're some kind of sick freak with manipulative and possibly sadistic intentions, both of which are insulting to you and your partner(s).

I have a glimmer of hope that increased visibility will lead to increased understanding of our community, but history has made me skeptical.
Yeah as an FA (since forever, aka puberty) and now just about to turn 51 years old (so I have been around the block and seen a few things in my day), I think you are 100% on point. It remains a very tricky subject matter, but one that at least TLC appears to be trying to portray in a fair manner. Of course we are only 1 episode in, but the initial impression I get is that all 3 of the guys that are being profiled are decent people, and already we are seeing them have to reconcile the 'trade-offs' between their desires and other practical life issues.

adam

This soda made me vote for Trump.
So it was just pointed out to me that the TLC Network (known for the shows My 600 lb Life and My Big Fat Fabulous Life ) is about to go ALL IN and are airing a new 'reality' show starting in January that will follow the lives of three couples in which the women are all SSBBW and the guys are all relatively 'thin' and also quite attractive. So this is potentially the BIG ONE for finally laying the FA thing out on the line. The description of the show is that the couples are of 'mixed weight', meaning one of the people in the couple is fat and the other is thin. There has been already some backlash from the rabid intersectional feminist / PC crowd, complaining that all the couples involve a thin man and a fat woman (patriarchy!!). By all means, they need to profile female FA / fat man relationship(s) in the future, if the show catches on (hell even homosexual FA relationships could be thrown in there to REALLY spice things up!). Anyways, I was able to watch the first episode (early access to those with TLC on their cable TV package). I think this could be very interesting but whether it will advance our position as FAs is still to be determined (remains , as ever, a whole lot of hurdles as the 1st episode accurately portrays)! There is a saying that any publicity is good publicity; but for us FAs, I think this is clearly not the case. Hopefully , this show will portray us as more good than bad.

TLC's new 'Hot & Heavy' series faces backlash
All the reality shows in existence are so fake, so obviously scripted & poorly produced that I can't stand to watch them but for a few seconds before I cringe at the absurdity of it. I would rather watch reruns of well written fiction that has high production value & great actors.

Colonial Warrior

All the reality shows in existence are so fake, so obviously scripted & poorly produced that I can't stand to watch them but for a few seconds before I cringe at the absurdity of it. I would rather watch reruns of well written fiction that has high production value & great actors.
I agree with you @adam! I learned that when I was a fan of Cheaters.

Thankfully, I have a lot of movies on DVD and my mother has the entire collection of Little House on the Prairie!

Broseph

DM Supporter
Anyone know what this show might be called in Germany? I can't seem to find it on TLC.de. It's definitely not listen under "Hot and Heavy".

op user

Do they follow the original TLC, or they pick and choose?

waldo

It is true that 'reality TV' is largely BS.

BUT, not all 'reality TV' is total fakery. The level of fiction probably depends on the particular show. For this show "Hot and Heavy", we could speculate on multiple scenes that could have been made up or highly exaggerated/modified versions of the true events. But, I think we can at least be confident that these people do exist, and their stories are at least, in general terms, portrayed by what was depicted on the show.

Group builder