To Deryk Shane

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Risible

Monkey Daze
Funny, this usurper, "The Favor," claims that he is reprinting the story because of the numerous typos and grammatical errors in the original - I count seven grammatical and spelling errors in the first paragraph of the "new and improved" version alone.

So much for his largesse in correcting and reprinting this story.

Observer

Editor/Writer/Commentator
Knowing Derek, when he finds out I anticipate he will be livid.

I had picked up on this and sent him a PM about it back on June 9. So far, no reaction, so I suspect he's not watching his mail closely

Coop

Proud owner of Megas
I don't like it...not one bit.

I would do a rewrite myself but only after given permission by Deryk.

And that would only be to just correct the grammar errors.

Phrozen

I saw this one too, as I semi-frequently take a look over at FF. I was considering posting a thread about this and/or PMing Derek, but both of these actions seem to have already been taken.

I have to agree that I don't like it all either. Whoever did it probably didn't even get proper permission from Derek anyway. And if he/she claims he/she did, I seriously doubt it seeing as even high-ranking authorities around here (*cough* Observer *cough* (and others) ) can't even easily get in touch with the guy.

All in all, I also like the original by Derek a lot better as well.

Observer

Editor/Writer/Commentator
That "high ranking" stuff is frankly pretty rank and a bunch of hooey if you ask me.

I'm just a volunteer like a lot of others and I'd better not forget it.

Also I have had contact with Derek in the past and know he in his present situation treasures his privacy. He has gently but firmly made it clear to me that he doesn't want me or anyone else completing his unfinished opuses (or should that be opi?).

So would Derek have sanctioned this? I think we all know the answer. But its another site and not anything we can do anything about.

Deryk Shane

Coop, honestly, I'm not that livid about it. It pisses me off that he didn't even bother to ask permission.

Aside from that, he did switch it from high school to college, so I wonder how that can be a grammatical error. I feel "The Favor" is a simple punk with no decency. Nothing I can do about it. As much as people love that story, as I've said before, I've rather despised it, looking back.

It does have many errors. It does have many inconsistencies with reality that aren't addressed. And it was my FIRST story when I was 15 years old back in 1998 (damn, that seems like yesterday).

But it is mine. I post my stories out of courtesy to those that want to read them. Not to have others modify my work to suit their own desires. To me, a rewrite is not a compliment. It says "I like your story, BUT it sucks without my finishing touches."

If anyone wants to rewrite a story, it's not like I've trademarked weight gain. Any story even closely akin to mine can be written and other than some similarities, there's not much to tag it to mine.

It's a fine line with many of my early stories. I wrote them in high school and the characters were mostly high schoolers. Being 26 now, looking back, I couldn't write a NEW story about high schoolers, and really find it weird to even read some of my stories, but they are the stories I wrote for that time in my life. My styles change. My themes change. My desires change. And I don't have the patience I had before to care what other people think :)

I write stories for ME. I write because I want to write. If I don't like it. I don't write it. As much as I like the adulation from fans (trust me, it's humbling), I don't do it for you. Sometimes, I'm in a funk. Sometimes, that funk lasts years. Some times, it's minutes from the end of one story before I'm starting the next.

The problem I have is that I'm a perfectionist without the time or energy to be perfect. I condemn the past and hope the present can live up to my ideals of the future.

Rarely, that ever happens.

So, with all these ramblings go where most do.... to some obscure moment when it all makes sense.

"The Favor", you're not writing for yourself. You're not writing for the public. It's not even your story. It's not even a good one. And your hack job does nothing to give your abilities credence.

Use your own mind. Use your own style. And use your own notoriety to sell a story.

The one, the only,

Deryk Shane

Latest posts