Today is "female health" day for me.

Discussion in 'Health Forum' started by Tracyarts, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Oct 21, 2019 #1

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

I just checked in for my first mammogram. Should have started doing this 4 years ago, but well, I'm here now.

Then upstairs for the well woman exam and pap smear. Yay me.

Hopefully everything is good. I always stress this stuff.

2. Oct 21, 2019 #2

ChubbyPear

ChubbyPear

ChubbyPear

Small side bbw in Norfolk, VA

Better late than never!!

3. Oct 21, 2019 #3

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

I'm glad you are getting these things checked out.

Though I have to say, I'm curious what the 'well woman exam' is.

4. Oct 21, 2019 #4

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Well Woman is just what my insurance calls the basic yearly gyno exam and consultation.

Everything went fine, I'll have results soon.

loopytheone likes this.
  5. Oct 22, 2019 #5

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Oh yeah, and last week I had a brain scan to make sure everything is doing okay there. Yep. No new strokes. No signs of a bleed or aneurysm. No new tumors. And my benign tumor (small calcified meningioma) looks to be the same size as 2 years ago when it was discovered and that means I'll just check back in another year or two with another scan.

loopytheone and ScreamingChicken like this.
  6. Oct 22, 2019 #6

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

So the mammogram results were waiting for me in my e-chart when I woke up this morning. I had no idea it was that quick. But everything was normal, and I do it again in a year.

I had the 3D scan. It was a $50 out of pocket upcharge (insurance covers 2D 100%). But, since I had not done one before, it was suggested that I go ahead and get the 3D. I don't know how much "better" 3D is versus 2D, and I don't like that there is an out of pocket upcharge for a "better" lifesaving diagnostic tool, but I opted for it since there was no other charge.

I was expecting a lot more pain and hassle than I experienced. I'm 5'10", 390 pounds right now, weak on one side, have balance issues, and in the middle of an extended autoimmune flare. My mobility is poor, my stamina is near nonexistent right now. I had to use my wheelchair a lot yesterday. I wasn't sure how it would play out.

I had the mammogram at a teaching hospital clinic. I figured they would be better equipped to handle patients with mobility and movement issues than a smaller facility.

They made it as easy as possible. They provided a sturdy rolling stool for me to sit on (but could have done it from my wheelchair if needed) and I only had to stand once for about 15 seconds. The only problem with scanning me from a seated position was my belly got in the way of the machine for one of the angles, and I had to stand for it. Had I not been able to stand, they wouldn't have been able to get what they needed in that particular scan.

The scans themselves were not painful to me and only minimally uncomfortable. I had been told to expect pain by friends and family members. Holding the positions was more uncomfortable than the actual "squeeze". I have a tiny implanted cardiac loop recorder at the top of my left breast, this made no difference. It didn't interfere with the scan and I didn't feel anything different on that side during the scans. The whole thing was fast. Positioning took much longer than the actual scans. I was in and out within a half hour. Most of that was positioning and resting between scans. They took 6 scans total I believe.

The only issues were that the gowns weren't big enough (I have a supersized hospital gown I will bring next time) and they couldn't do all the scans seated. If I was unable to stand, they just wouldn't have been able to get what they needed to see on that scan and it would have been an incomplete diagnostic picture.

I had put it off because I was worried about pain and that my size and mobility issues would be a barrier. I actually was going to do it last year at a small facility near my house but when I called to set up the appointment they weren't sure if they could accommodate a seated patient and it scared me off. It ended up being so much less of an ordeal than I was expecting. They really want to make it as easy and accessible as possible.

7. Oct 22, 2019 #7

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

I'm really glad that everything went so well for you, both with the results and the experience in general.

8. Oct 22, 2019 #8

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

I wanted to give a detailed description of how it went for a supersized-ish person who has mobility issues in the hopes that anyone in the same position, who is also putting the test off (or just stressing over it), will think "okay, she got through it just fine, I can too".

loopytheone likes this.