Transforming Basic Clothes with Extras

Discussion in 'Clothing/Fashion' started by Cynthia, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Aug 5, 2018 #1

Cynthia

Cynthia

Cynthia

It can be expensive and time consuming to put together an interesting wardrobe in larger sizes, so I buy humdrum clothes and liven them up with scarves, ethnic jewelry, thrift-store jackets, etc. (Unfortunately, though, I've been in a rut lately and haven't bothered at all. Summer in the South is always a challenge.)

What are your favorite ways to express your personality in a land of tiny clothes?

2. Aug 5, 2018 #2

SplendidMarble

SplendidMarble

SplendidMarble

toaster ovens > slice toasters

I am in the same boat as you in terms of livening up clothes and I’m also in the south. Summer, for me, is the worst time for trying to dress myself - whether it’s casual, work, or dressing up.

I do my best to find prints or color, but it isn’t always easy. If it weren’t for accessories, and makeup, I’d be a strong plain as can be. :rolleyes:

Cynthia likes this.
  3. Sep 18, 2018 #3

Cynthia

Cynthia

Cynthia

I LOVE Gudrun Sjoden's playful, comfy approach to clothes. Now, the challenge is to put together slightly understated versions of these looks in plus sizes on a tight budget. Thrift stores are a big favorite for me, as are out-of-the-way import shops, but it can be hard to find cool plus sized clothes in the thrift world. (Spare me from the sea of faded sweatshirts and recycled Sunday outfits!)

https://www.gudrunsjoden.com/storag.../bb80b350b62a483ba7e747b40452a82f/Block3.jpeg

[​IMG]

LizzieJones and DragonFly like this.
  4. Sep 19, 2018 #4

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Global Moderator

Plus size clothes are notoriously hordes and very rarely given to thrift shops. I know that I always have way too many things but I have that drought mentality.... what happens if I can’t find them later. I love using scarves and short bolero sweaters and jackets to transform plainer looks

5. Sep 19, 2018 #5

agouderia

agouderia

agouderia

Library Girl Global Moderator

From my experience, tweaking store bought clothes can go a long way - but it does require at least a bit of sewing know-how.

This summer, I bought a jeans tunic with a very cute neckline - but a good for nothing length. Too long as a tunic - too short as a dress. So I bought a piece of chiffon in the color of the neckline, doubled it up envelope style and added it to the bottom - now I have the best jeans dress I've ever owned.

Since I have wide shoulders and too short arms - I also fiddle a lot with sleeves. Shortening most of them, adding some hem decoration - or taking to long, plain sleeves out of a simple linen suit to replace them with short lace sleeves.

What also can lead to great personal results is dying things in a color that is more becoming - either to the style or oneself. I "inherited" a nice skater dress with a very twirly hem from a friend, who outgrew it. But in a dull beige - suits neither me nor the dress style. So I dyed it royal blue - great dress now.

Cynthia - if you like Sjödens style - why don't you try adapting it with the help of textile paint colors? That should certainly work and probably look real nice.

Cynthia likes this.
  6. Sep 19, 2018 #6

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

I really like Gudrun Sjoden and Blue Fish clothes. Can't fit into either unfortunately. I watched a video on YouTube that Blue Fish put out, showing their workshop and how the clothes are embellished with stamped and screen printed designs. Then watched videos showing how to do carved linoleum block printing on clothes and making homemade silk screens with craft store supplies and realized that I can do that. So it's on my list of things to try my hand at.

I like to dye fabric and clothes. I'm fair at doing it. Tie dyeing is fun, but just changing something's color is a usable technique.

Back in the day when painted clothes were trendy, I would do that some. One of my aunts was really into embellishing tees and sweatshirts and taught me how to do painting and appliques. But it's not so much in style now.

7. Sep 28, 2018 #7

Tommi

Tommi

Tommi

Hi! I was wondering.. I have huge huge legs and ankles and also wear a size 13/14 women’s shoe. I cannot find somewhere to purchase them and I am tired of men’s shoes!! Any suggestions? Thanks :)

8. Sep 28, 2018 #8

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Global Moderator

Try Zappos and Nordstrom’s. Munro makes up to a 14 in some styles and they are made really well. It is tough to find shoes for women in those sizes.

Another suggestion is to google shoes for cross dressers. They usually go up to a size 17.... one is called the glamourbotique. Lots of fun and fantasy stuff!

9. Oct 3, 2018 #9

Cynthia

Cynthia

Cynthia

Tommi: In addition to DragonFly's great suggestions, you might try www.Shoes.com. Their search feature is one of the most detailed that I've seen, so you can zoom in on shoes by size, width, color, material, heel height, design elements, price, etc. I've gotten four or five pairs through them.

Agouderia and Tracyarts: You both sound incredibly creative and very attentive to detail. Years ago, the fashion boards had a lot of photos. It would be great to see your works of ingenuity one day.

And, SplendidMarble, rejoice. Fall is here! (Okay, you're in the South, too. Well, it's almost here, or so the calendar says....)

10. Oct 3, 2018 #10

agouderia

agouderia

agouderia

Library Girl Global Moderator

Although I doubt whether any of my work has anything to do with "ingenuity" - it's more about turning clothes
    I like into pieces that I will actually wear (... and look pretty decent in...).

Here's the jeans dress and the suit top with the new sleeves (both not ironed though, as they are freshly washed and on their way to winter storage):

jeansdress & suit top.jpg

11. Nov 8, 2018 #11

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

I bought a book recently that has very clear and detailed instructions on how to block print fabric.

"Print, Pattern, Sew" by Jen Hewett.

The point of the book is to learn to carve lino print blocks, print with them on fabric yardage, then create clothing and accessories from your custom printed fabric.

But the printing instructions are equally valid for use on ready made items. I really just bought the book to learn about the printing process and for inspiration.

The included garment patterns are only sized to an XL and useless to me. But there are some accessory patterns I can use, and several design templates to use with carving the blocks.

If you're interested in that kind of thing, I found it easy to understand. I haven't done lino block carving since junior high art class, so I needed some help.