Quantcast

Travelling the world... places to be?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Shotha

DM Supporter
Traveling the world... corona virus spreading almost all over the planet- nowadays a tough question: Shall I travel or shall stay at home?

According to booking figures I have an idea how people in Europe deal with it.
I personally haven't found a decision yet whether I go to Greece (or Egypt) or stay at home by the end of this month. Will be a decision made last minute I guess.

What about you?
What are your thoughts about it?
Right now, it's hard to know, what travel restrictions will be in place next. If I were planning to travel, I would postpone my trip until the end of the corona virus crisis. I don't want to go abroad and then find that I can't get home. That could be inconvenient, expensive, frustrating and stressful. It's best to travel, when you can be sure of enjoying it.

Aqw

I guess I would postpone. But I would take the moral commitment to do the travel in the same country, spending the same amount of money.

Shotha

DM Supporter
If I have to postpone travel because of the corona virus, I'll stay home and treat myself to all of my favourite foods. I'll see how much weight I can put on.

Broseph

DM Supporter
Traveling the world... corona virus spreading almost all over the planet- nowadays a tough question: Shall I travel or shall stay at home?

I personally haven't found a decision yet whether I go to Greece (or Egypt) or stay at home by the end of this month. Will be a decision made last minute I guess.

What about you?

I'd hoped to travel somewhere during the semester break, but was too broke so I decided to just relax and save money. Now with all the Virus stuff, I'm not disappointed that I'm not travelling. Egypt is at the top of my list for sure

Maize

What about you?
Right now, I don't think I'd travel. However, it's not so much that I'm worried about actually getting COVID-19 -- the likelihood of that still seems very small unless you're travelling to one of the big outbreak locations. It's that I'd be worried about COVID-19 ruining the vacation. I was listening to a radio program about it and they had the same comment. When you arrive at your destination, your hotel / cruise ship / whatever might become quarantined, in which case you're spending your whole vacation and possibly longer stuck in your room. At your destination, all the events that you want to attend might be cancelled and all the attractions that you want to see might be closed. And then when it's time to return, depending on the situation, you may not be able to return home, or you might be immediately quarantined upon return. Not to trivialize the plight of those who have actually been sick or have lost their lives by any means, but I feel like even if the chances of catching the disease are low, the chances of paying a lot of money and spending a lot of time off to take a trip and then having it come to nothing are higher. If I'd already booked everything and couldn't get a refund, I probably would go anyway, but I think just to be safe on that front, if I hadn't, I wouldn't book a trip right now -- I'd wait until things seemed more stable.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
Right now, I don't think I'd travel. However, it's not so much that I'm worried about actually getting COVID-19 -- the likelihood of that still seems very small unless you're travelling to one of the big outbreak locations. It's that I'd be worried about COVID-19 ruining the vacation. I was listening to a radio program about it and they had the same comment. When you arrive at your destination, your hotel / cruise ship / whatever might become quarantined, in which case you're spending your whole vacation and possibly longer stuck in your room. At your destination, all the events that you want to attend might be cancelled and all the attractions that you want to see might be closed. And then when it's time to return, depending on the situation, you may not be able to return home, or you might be immediately quarantined upon return. Not to trivialize the plight of those who have actually been sick or have lost their lives by any means, but I feel like even if the chances of catching the disease are low, the chances of paying a lot of money and spending a lot of time off to take a trip and then having it come to nothing are higher. If I'd already booked everything and couldn't get a refund, I probably would go anyway, but I think just to be safe on that front, if I hadn't, I wouldn't book a trip right now -- I'd wait until things seemed more stable.
I couldn't have said it better - I totally agree on what you said!

Shh! Don’t tell!

It’s now probably spreading in my city, which is really concerning. I hope everyone on here is taking measures to stay healthy and safe.

I don’t travel very much, but I’ve never been anywhere in Northern Europe so I kind of want to see what’s going on over there. Not right now, obviously.

I also want to go hiking in the mountains in New York. I’ve done it a few times before, but I want to do it again and go exploring somewhere different.

Last edited:

Salacious Caitlin

I have a bucket list that's miles long, but internationally, I have to get back to Iceland. We went there last summer, but a family member was in the ICU the whole time, which very much limited what we were able to do and see (BTW, they saved her life. Unbelievably great medical care). I didn't really get close to the volcanoes. So that's a must, as well as Uppsala in Sweden, the Scottish Highlands, Kamchatka, Mongolia, Torres del Paine, Antarctica while there are still leopard seals to see... (I have a half-written novel set in the near future where a character is a leopard seal selkie. He's quite fat in his human form).

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
Traveling is the one thing that will not be remembered when thinking of the year 2020. As almost every business is affected by the current pandemic situation tourism is the one that has a big influence on me personally, as being a worker in tourism/airline industry and as a frequent traveler myself.
I've already canceled two of three plans for this year. Once we returned to a different but kind of normal life after the crisis I definitely want to travel again.
To Greece - of course, going on a cruise and travel to every part of this world that has to offer beautiful landscapes, nice people and delicious food.

I am still curious what you can recommend.

op user

A bit late to the show since I don't talk a lot about trips; airplanes are a different subject.

Few comment though (all under the corona influence):
Big Electric Cat if you wan to see what the combination of French and German can produce an exceptional city please put Strasbourg (or SXB for those in the airline industry) on your list. It took some generations loosing their of-springs and dozens of pools of blood but now it is the most European city - French speaking typically but with a German efficiency an architecture. And if too much France gets on your nerves get on the bus cross the river and you are in Germany to a decent city. I know the name but there is another one by the sea and I am not to mix them up.

Dazzling Anna if you are in the industry but everybody in general I have a few videos for you:

Also a video (sorry I couldn't isolate from the site) about how airlines fighting corona - virus.

And finally the Guardian video about the 100 days that changed the world

Dazzling Anna regarding flight PS752 apologies for the black humor but it seems Ukrainians are becoming masters on all aspects of airliner shoot-down - think MH17. Also Anna you inserted a video from landings in St-Martin. It is my pleasure to inform you about Skiathos (JSI) and Corfu Airports (CFU) who put a good fight to be the European Saint Martin. I have a couple of stories for JSI airport but since they are not BBW related but of aviation interest I am happy to share them via PM.

and also
this time with the ATC.

And this from CFU

and one more from CFU

Finally a fellow Dimer said was about to take a trip to Greece. For a fellow dimmer in such circumstances I could help with emergency (and not emergency) matters.

Finally since Greece got a mention have a look at Meteora that has been the set for a James Bond film.

Last edited:

op user

@DazzlingAnna finally a chance to see that spot for real. But we need to hold into something because a couple of years ago a tourist was blown away by the jet-blast.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
For spectacular landing experience at CFU - Corfu I recommend a window seat in one of the last rows.
Landing approach from the sea, runway appears in that moment the plane touches down. Amazing! (at least for me 🙃)

op user

@DazzlingAnna And just before that you might see some tree tops (for a second or two) not far below your seat - visible from the left side of the aircraft I think.

@DazzlingAnna Also the approach over the city center was spectacular but they modified because there was a very interesting picture taken once. While I was busy on a vary important vital project I found the pic. It is original not altered.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/46/ae/81/46ae818ca893ba8216bfac2e8de2390a--corfu-greece-corfu-island.jpg

Last edited:

Shotha

DM Supporter
Who will want to go on a cruise after the COVID-19 disaster? It will be the ultimate horror story. "It's got the people in the cabin next door. We'll be next, honey..." Creepy music... And in the end the only people left in the world will be those of us who are too fat to travel.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
As traveling in the EU is re-starting again on a very low level these days I spent some more thoughts on my summer vacation this year (have no solution yet where to go but I definitely will go somewhere).

I like watching a BBC One show that was shot in Guadeloupe. So beautiful pictures taken from nature, landscape and scenery.

Anyone of you been to Guadeloupe?

Latest posts