Travelling the world... places to be?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

CPProp

The majority of my travel was associated with work, during the 1970 to 1990’s but that didn’t mean I did not have time to do a little exploring where safe to do so and speak to some fascinating people.

One such location was Karachi in Pakistan where spent 3 weeks negotiating a Tender – at the time could only go out with armed guards, but did manage to spend a delightful day playing golf at a golf course in a Naval Dockyard Complex (which was extremely safe). One of our hosts whilst I was there was 86 year old (in 1992) former culture minister who had been involved with the separation and division of India and knew both Ghandi and Nehru, his stories and recollections were fascinating. The whole trip was filed with new experiences, like having arm guards who I would add did not have the then current arms but WW11 Lee Enfield rifles and one believe it or not had a flint lock rifle. I even saw Benazir Bhutto speed by at about 180 MPH in the emptied streets of Karachi.

I’ve also worked in Saudi Arabia, Australia, China Hong Kong, Dominican Republic, Cypress, France, Holland and Denmark amd of late a few holiday in Germany, Belgium, Austria and Czech Republic.

I won’t bore you any further unless any one is actually interested.

op user

The stories about the Kingdom will be great - particularly if they involved activities inside the compounds. And your experience in Pakistan sounded very interesting - pity about the late Bhutto not her drive but the end of her life.

Laurie467

My suggestions would be Uzbekistan (a hidden gem), Russia, Tunisia and South Africa. In Europe, I would to go to Moldova and visit Transnistria.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
I haven't made plans for post-pandemic travel, I just know that I will go somewhere in 2021.

Two clips (similar to these ones) had a huge impact on my mood during the last year. When I saw these parked & stored aircrafts all around the world it was just making me cry. Aircrafts are made to fly.

Second video just cheered up my mood about the industry. I am usually not a fan of worldwide challenges that are hyped but this one I liked as it shows this one big aviation family and spirit. Or at least it made me hoping for better times to come.

Those who know me might find out easily why I have chosen these videos compilations in particular ;).

Laurie467

My recommendation for a travel would be Uzbekisan. It is such an intersting destination with so much to see. The people are really friendly and really great food (Uzbek bread is the best!!!). Some knowledge of Russan is helpful but even if you cant speak a word, you wil have no problems making yourself undrstood.

Shotha

DM Supporter
I'm just going to explore my neighbourhood a little more, watching out for new plants and animal. If you keep your eyes open, you always see something new.

And I'll do lots of armchair travelling with Youtube.

Broseph

DM Supporter
I have a huge "to go" list--practically every country in the world. The only planed trip I have at the moment however is Spain in the summer. Maybe the US for the winter holidays with the family--we'll see.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Two clips (similar to these ones) had a huge impact on my mood during the last year. When I saw these parked & stored aircrafts all around the world it was just making me cry. Aircrafts are made to fly.
I thought I was the only one with such (silly? weird? misguidedly empathetic?) feelings about aircrafts - that in the end are nothing more than technical objects.

Over the past year, I flew 3 times - so much less than in non-pandemic times. But seeing the airport aprons and taxiway areas turned into giant aircraft parking lots was so sad and despressing. Especially if they parked 2 aircrafts nose to nose looking helplessly at each other - it really was like watching unhappy birds with clipped wings...
Probably overtly sentimental, but those were just my spontaneous feelings.

On a more positive note, I would like to pick up the issue of great small Greek airports for spectacular take offs or landings. Given the country's topography with many islands over a not overtly large area there are quite a few miniscule, funky airports at incredibly scenic locations. Also - domestic flights in Greece are highly advisable for those in search of breathtaking views from above, as the small aircrafts fly at relatively low altitude and the Aegean skies are known to be clear.

Apart from the already mentioned airports of Corfu/Kerkyra (CFU) and Skiathos (JSI), Aktio/Preveza (PVK) is worthwhile as it is located on the peninsula tip of the narrow straight separating the Ambracian Gulf from the Ionian Sea. The 2 only national airports on the central Cycladic islands of Paros (PAS) and Syros (JSY) also offer spectacular panoramic views over the islands.
Then there are funny ones like Patras/Araxos (GPA) which the Greek Air Force rents out for charterflights in the summer, and where you don't exactly land in a pumpkin patch ..... but in a watermelon field.

Even Eleftherios Venizelos Airport Athens (ATH) isn't bad for landing because one mostly flies a long curve south over the city - with view of the Acropolis - out over the Saronic Gulf to then turn back North to land east of Athens on the coast across from Euboea.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
I postponed twice going to GPA over the last two years but now I have to go there! #watermelonfield. And of course - ATH sounds very interesting... 😍

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
You should definitely fly to GPA! But don't get mad at me if they plant more potatoes or zucchini ... or maybe even pumpkins this year - so you don't see a watermelon at first sight.....