Unbelievably sexist ads used in the past…

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

FreeThinker

My word, some of those were nasty.

Some were just so tired.

I guess it speaks to something of an evolution in the media that we now find these images and portrayals laughable at best, and repugnant at worst, but how will today's ads be viewed in fifty years?

Or in five years?

Or even right now, with a different perspective and some empathy?

Sometimes, I'm ashamed to be of this species.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Most of those were further in the past than my childhood, I think. But I still remember some pretty sexist stuff.

One TV ad that stuck in my mind because even as a kid I was thinking "You can't be serious?" was for some bra, it had a middle-aged (ish? as I saw things as a kid), she was full figured by the standards of people you see on tv, and the guy was basically saying 'look at her, that new bra really shows off her huge bust, get an eye full of that figure!' (I'm thinking it might have been wonderbra, but I really am not sure). This would have been probably the latter half of the seventies.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Sometimes, I'm ashamed to be of this species.
Depends on whether your glass is half full or half empty. To me, the fact that we don't see ads like that these days means that we've made some progress, which encourages me to hope that we'll make more.:)

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
Most of those were further in the past than my childhood, I think. But I still remember some pretty sexist stuff.

One TV ad that stuck in my mind because even as a kid I was thinking "You can't be serious?" was for some bra, it had a middle-aged (ish? as I saw things as a kid), she was full figured by the standards of people you see on tv, and the guy was basically saying 'look at her, that new bra really shows off her huge bust, get an eye full of that figure!' (I'm thinking it might have been wonderbra, but I really am not sure). This would have been probably the latter half of the seventies.
i wonder if that was a jane russell ad? she was the spokeswoman for 'cross your heart' bras for years and years.

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
"Is it always illegal to kill a woman?" :blink:

Oh man...those old ads were certainly a hoot, weren't they? They must've forgotten to mention the mention the spanking ads on MAD MEN as I don't recall seeing those on that show.

Weird and goofy stuff today...thankfully times have changed.

DEnnis

Latest posts