unpopular opinions thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

fat9276

I don't like wearing jeans or pants. I don't wear them anymore. I wear leggings but only under skirts or dresses. I love dresses. I pretty much wear one every day :)

Esther

Queen Black Acid
I don't like wearing jeans or pants. I don't wear them anymore. I wear leggings but only under skirts or dresses. I love dresses. I pretty much wear one every day :)
I prefer skirts and tights, too.
The best part about tights is pulling them all the way up to your boobs and feeling silky and sleek allllll day

Esther

Queen Black Acid
Listening to music or having a TV on when I'm trying to eat stresses me out.
I don't know why but I just can't put these two activities together.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Listening to music or having a TV on when I'm trying to eat stresses me out.
I don't know why but I just can't put these two activities together.
I'm convinced that restaurants provide music and TV to distract you from how rotten their food is.

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
I'm convinced that restaurants provide music and TV to distract you from how rotten their food is.
One time when I was in Buffalo Wild Wings, I was super hungry and ended up paying keen attention to the food commercials. From that point on, I decided that restaurants should play them frequently, because it got me so excited for the upcoming meal. (This is almost most certainly the lamest opinion I've posted yet.)

likeitmatters

happiness as finally come
when I worked for sprint and customer who have not paid there bill in sometime and asking about upgrade to their phone. I would tell them how about your bill and then upgrade or I tell them to call customer service and ask them and btw are you making a payment?

and if not, I shut their service off and before anyone sez anything I did that to acct that are way overdue to get them to pay their bill.

cakeboy

Douchepuncher Supreme!
99.6% of Twitter accounts are sharts that ended up on a computer screen. E-sharts.

Tad

mostly harmless
Horror sucks big red rocks. I don't do horror. ever (again)
Yah, I don't do horror, and I even avoid stuff that is not officially horror, but uses a lot of the horror style (a lot of supposed science fiction shows and movies do this, for example.....the hero may live in the end of those, unlike much horror, but the irrationally hard to kill alien monster popping up at any moment is really not my cup of happy)

ODFFA

I hope this post won't end up being too long...
First of all, I love atheists. Atheists are amazing. I consider myself one, insofar as 'atheist' actually means 'someone who does not believe in a theistic god.' I am a panentheist though, and I'm sure that would disqualify me according to many, which is fair enough.

Anyway, point being: atheists..... love :happy: But -- there is one thing that leaves me with a slightly unfortunate aftertaste (and I'm about to do some terrible generalising). There's still a very prevalent atheist attitude of "Science is fucking awesome, therefore I will liberally ad-hominem your sorry naive self to smithereens."

Being angry about social injustices that happen because of ignorance and prejudice is one thing - one very good thing - but, I don't know, there's a surprisingly silly and unhelpful approach going on in atheism. Although, I also don't think there's anything remotely wrong with a little joking among people about the amazing stupidities that exist in the world. The whole thing just needs a bit of..... fine tuning and contextualising, I guess?

This is where it's at - I'd love to see more of this :)
....ehhh, screw brevity.

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
Anyway, point being: atheists..... love :happy: But -- there is one thing that leaves me with a slightly unfortunate aftertaste (and I'm about to do some terrible generalising). There's still a very prevalent atheist attitude of "Science is fucking awesome, therefore I will liberally ad-hominem your sorry naive self to smithereens."
As a pretty steadfast atheist and enjoyer of science, I really agree with this. Especially considering there's so many aggressive atheists. Those ones that seek out any religious page or status, and proceed to insert themselves into it and tear it apart. Or those who reject pleasant sentiments like prayers for their misfortunes. Those very same people, surely, hate anyone religious trying to convert them. And yet, they feel they have a right to do the same thing (mostly because they have an inflated sense of Truth, due to the empirical nature of science, potentially?) I'm definitely guilty of some humor at religious-expense here and there...but I'm not going to disrespect someone from pursuing what makes them happy, unless they're doing the same. I enjoy the pursuit and contemplation of truth - but more and more, in some contexts, I feel like harmony has more value to it.

It kind of makes me sad seeing atheists being such...jerks. It doesn't really help fix the problem of most religious folks trusting atheists as much as...rapists.

I'll stick my tiny non-sequitur unpopular opinion here. It's barely past noon, and I'm already sick of women's day. This is the first year I've honestly recognized it being acknowledged/knew of it. I can't even pinpoint a reason. Actually, now that I look it up, I see that it's meant to have a heavily political flavor. Whereas I see it acted upon as - much like Wikipedia notes - a mixture of Valentine's day and Mother's day. That seems cloying and unnecessary to me.

Secondary unpopular opinion: The world might be more pleasant if the notion of gender were completely eliminated. But I see how most people might not agree, because I personally don't have a strong sense of identity here.

Donna

wait...what?
I tend to think that majority of atheists aren't hell bent on convincing everyone their belief is the only belief just like the majority of religious folks aren't hell bent on convincing everyone their Deity(s) is the only path. Fundamentalists of any ilk are tiresome and boring in my opinion. (Perhaps that is my unpopular opinion?)

ETA: Should the word "atheist" be capitalized? I have never seen it done so unless it was part of a title. But Christians, Buddhists, Pagans, et.al capitalize, so why not "Atheists?"

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy
While I'm an atheist that loves making fun of religion and do so on my FB wall. I don't attack others beliefs, I'm not going to go on your status and start blowing your shit up. I will however call you out on your shit if you say or do something completely stupid on religions behalf. You can believe whatever you want to believe in, that is your choice, but when you die of a snake bite because you refuse treatment because "God will not let me die", you bet your damn ass I'm going to laugh at you.

ODFFA

Those very same people, surely, hate anyone religious trying to convert them. And yet, they feel they have a right to do the same thing (mostly because they have an inflated sense of Truth, due to the empirical nature of science, potentially?) I'm definitely guilty of some humor at religious-expense here and there...but I'm not going to disrespect someone from pursuing what makes them happy, unless they're doing the same. I enjoy the pursuit and contemplation of truth - but more and more, in some contexts, I feel like harmony has more value to it.
I feel like it does in some contexts too. Why force a choice in any case between truth and harmony if it's quite possible to have both? In some measure at least :) It feels like some people believe that harmony must surely be sacrificed for truth, when it's not always as necessary as they might think.

For all I've said, I admit to liking - even being grateful for - that inflated sense of truth. I guess because I happen to think it's rightly inflated. And I make/enjoy said jokes too. I just don't think it cancels out harmony by default, or that it has to. Yay idealism! :batting:

While I'm an atheist that loves making fun of religion and do so on my FB wall. I don't attack others beliefs, I'm not going to go on your status and start blowing your shit up. I will however call you out on your shit if you say or do something completely stupid on religions behalf. You can believe whatever you want to believe in, that is your choice, but when you die of a snake bite because you refuse treatment because "God will not let me die", you bet your damn ass I'm going to laugh at you.
Yeeeeah. It's still very important to be able to say "laughable absurdity is laughably absurd." I'm grateful for the atheists that have done that and done that well (as in, hilarity plus sincerity - best combo ever). This kind of thing has actually helped pull me out of many a limiting belief.

But if that kind of thing is primarily malice-driven though, I think it's going to come across. Sometimes truth becomes a secondary consideration to meanness for the fun of it. That's when it becomes unfortunate imo. Aside from that, I say hell yeah to the upholding of truth, through humour and whatever else works :D

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
I hope this post won't end up being too long...
First of all, I love atheists. Atheists are amazing. I consider myself one, insofar as 'atheist' actually means 'someone who does not believe in a theistic god.' I am a panentheist though, and I'm sure that would disqualify me according to many, which is fair enough.
Why doesn't it surprise me that atheism seems to be more of a popular opinion on this board? ;)

All I can do is agree - I mostly likely am an atheist too. I most definitely am not a monotheist - the one all encompassing deity that rules everything, everywhere ... is a concept I simply can't believe in.
Pantheism, die idea that not everything is of the material world, but that all nature has come up with has some sort of divine spark in it - that's an approach that I can see having something to it.

While I have no missionary zeal regarding religious beliefs or non-beliefs - that's a most personal issue - I'm a pretty militant laicist in the French style.

Religion is private - keep it strictly out of politics and the public sphere.

Don't know whether that might be an unpopular opinion around here.

fat9276

I can't edit my last post :/

I also am interested in going to an ecstatic/trance dance club/get together. I like the whole idea of just being free and doing whatever kind of dance I feel and can socialize or not. I haven't found any in my area, boo.

Latest posts

Group builder