unpopular opinions thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

spookytwigg

Have an A-1 day
I think this is a good point, but it's not entirely fleshed out. I believe what they represented meant a lot, more so than what they produced? It's like loving the idea of someone as opposed to the actual person? Nirvana did some amazing things for a generation, but them as a musical act weren't that amazing? Something along those lines.
oh yeah, I'm talking purely musically here. I totally understand the effect they had on people, it just never really effected me.

ODFFA

As someone who considers myself disabled, I don't understand the amount of hypersensitivity surrounding the words 'disability,' 'handicap' or 'impairment.' That's what it is. So there's some negativity inherent in the semantics. So what? The words describe something that's, at the very least, partially negative. And who knows that better than us?

I do understand (more than I care to) there's the issue of patronisation, but that is a problem of attitude. Language alone does not fix all 'tude problems. Stop harping on the words, fellow disabled peeps. It's ridiculously counter-productive :doh:

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
I don't care a lick about this whole Paul Walker deal. Death is sad and it happens to all of us. Life is a zero-sum game, I Just didn't know the guy.

snakebite

Dude, 2 soon, 2 serious.
Haha! But seriously, I agree with all of that. Everyone is saying what a great man he was...they were coming from a charity event, the guy who was driving him was a friend, probably had a few, and wrapped their Porsche around a tree AND a pole. Dude was head of his racing team, so I'm assuming he knew a thing or two about diving fast. You make stupid choices, you die. The real tragedy is that he left a young daughter. Feel bad for her instead.

KittyKitten

Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy
-You should have a license to breed kids
-I hate the music young folks listen to these days-Chief Keef wtf?
-The Beattles are overrated, The Stones are better
-Men are supposed to be strong leaders and responsible to protect their loved ones.
-There is nothing wrong with a woman submitting to her man
-To be a housewife in America is a luxury

I said it.

LeoGibson

Happy
-You should have a license to breed kids
-I hate the music young folks listen to these days-Chief Keef wtf?
-The Beattles are overrated, The Stones are better
-Men are supposed to be strong leaders and responsible to protect their loved ones.
-There is nothing wrong with a woman submitting to her man
-To be a housewife in America is a luxury

I said it.
Finally another kindred spirit!

Goreki

Fairy tales and Woe
Haha! But seriously, I agree with all of that. Everyone is saying what a great man he was...they were coming from a charity event, the guy who was driving him was a friend, probably had a few, and wrapped their Porsche around a tree AND a pole. Dude was head of his racing team, so I'm assuming he knew a thing or two about diving fast. You make stupid choices, you die. The real tragedy is that he left a young daughter. Feel bad for her instead.
The laugh was all I was going for there. I'm of the same opinion.

snow-white

KittyKitten:

To be a housewife is the natural order. (Not that I always want what is 'natural' ;) )

ODFFA

Being proud to be "anti-politically correct" is asinine.
Agreed!

(So, just to be clear, I tend to judge these things for myself on a case-by-case basis. Too much focus on language only can be unhelpful. But I'm generally not anti-PC at all, nor am I inclined to be proud of such a thing.)

Tad

mostly harmless
Being proud to be "anti-politically correct" is asinine.
When I see dogmatic political-correctness or dogmatic anti-PC-ishness, I like to comfort myself with this quote from A.A. Milne:

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.
I think it is important to think unpopular thoughts and to question received wisdom.....but knee-jerk rejection isn't thinking.

fat9276

American football and the raving glory that is given to it is stupid! Overpaid, overhyped, dumb, boring and crap! I don't want to see it, I don't want to hear about it, no no no no. Hush!

I'd rather wax my armpits with hot molten molasses than watch it or see grown men (and women) act like raging gorillas over "their team" :\

MrSensible

Welcome to Moonside.
American football and the raving glory that is given to it is stupid! Overpaid, overhyped, dumb, boring and crap! I don't want to see it, I don't want to hear about it, no no no no. Hush!

I'd rather wax my armpits with hot molten molasses than watch it or see grown men (and women) act like raging gorillas over "their team" :\
+1 to that.

Also, McDonald's is disgusting -- and I'm, by no means, a health food nut or averse to fast food.

Latest posts

Group builder