unpopular opinions thread

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by bremerton, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Sep 28, 2016 #1261

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!

They don't build 'em like that up here so much :p

2. Sep 28, 2016 #1262

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

I didn't know you were into public infractions, Xy! :eek:

3. Sep 28, 2016 #1263

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!

Omg public infraction...PDA will now be known by me forevermore as PI.

And in my defense he said "moderator action" not the type of action

4. Sep 28, 2016 #1264

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

A public infraction kinda sounds like a mild crime. Like, drunk and disorderly. "Xy was arrested for a public infraction..."

And it's okay, I know everybody wants some of my 'moderator action' ;)

Xyantha Reborn likes this.
  5. Oct 15, 2016 #1265

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!

I got told off by a woman because I am not a femanist. Like, screamed at and told I was to blame for all the inequity in the world.

She could not seem to understand this difference:.
    I do not agree predatory comments towards women are inappropriate because they are women. I think they are inappropriate because they are socially unacceptable - period.

She said men should treat women like equals. I disagree. A lot of men treat each other with borderline heirarchical aggression, stomping on each other's percueved weaknesses. I think men and women should treat each other with mutual, socia respect - period.

She said men are more powerful in the workplace. Now, that is a broad statement, but as a woman I can navigate using various tactics; feigned incapacity partnered with sheer competency. Softness with hardness. And the ability to build others up, and apologize without losing face. Being cute; then demanding results. I, as a woman, have so many more opportunities in communication open to me when compared with men.

I would not trade being a woman for a man on any account (except maybe the ability to pee standing...yes, i suffer from pee-ness envy).

Dromond likes this.
  6. Oct 15, 2016 #1266

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

7. Oct 15, 2016 #1267

Crumbling

Crumbling

Crumbling

Distilled Evil

It's not all it's cracked up to be. Peeing standing up is all well and good until the damn thing switches itself to some random, hitherto unknown or utterly unpredictable setting.
    Even if i wanted to I couldn't rig it to jet at 90 degrees to the way it is pointed, do twin sprinkles in opposite directions or straight up (seriously wtf!).

Sometimes, it's just safer to take a seat anyway.

So fair warning, even if you had one it might not be the boon you thought it would be.

8. Oct 15, 2016 #1268

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!

Having to pull down my pants and undies is annoying. I can pee standing up (girls do weird things in showers growing up), but not with clothes on!!

9. Oct 16, 2016 #1269

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

This is not so much an unpopular opinion as a question about popular vs. unpopular opinions, but here goes:

We have two what-are-you-reading threads on these boards. The responses so far lean heavily in the direction of science fiction/fantasy. Yet year after year the publishers and agents who list in Writers Yearbook request mss. only for romance and young adult books; many specifically request NO sf or fantasy mss.

So are they out of touch, or are we? :confused:

agouderia likes this.
  10. Oct 16, 2016 #1270

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!

I guess it is because much of the stuff we read are classics....as opposed to new money generating type books. Ie, what we like vs what mass consumers will buy?

11. Oct 16, 2016 #1271

dwesterny

dwesterny

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump

The people dims attracts are more nerdy and intellectual generally. It goes along with how many NT personality types we have here IMO.

Also to (again) quote Kurt Vonnegut regarding the general disdain of sci fi as a form of literature:

12. Oct 16, 2016 #1272

rabbitislove

rabbitislove

rabbitislove

24 Carrot Magic

I also enjoy our mature discorse and love of sci fi - this is a good home.

Xy, usually I try to scroll past because I feel the internet is already full of opinions, but fuck it. I think it was rude the way this woman engaged with you and it doesnt help the cause (for lack of better words). It sounds like you are for equality as well and you and her were touching different parts of the same elephant. Even if you dont call yourself a feminist, it sounds like your ideals line up with feminism. I used to get upset at women who didnt call themselves feminist, but in my old and more mellow age I say "a rose by any other name"

Im sure there are some out there who would say my version of feminism is "wrong" (as Im pro legalizing sex work and very much into being a submissive at times). I dont think there is a "right" "wrong" or "good" way to be a feminist. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

I do consider myself feminist and have for a long time. I see myself as an equal with men and aim for a relationship of mutual respect and say in the relationship. I see how patriarchy hurts men as well (not being able to cry or express emotions, having to always feel in charge, the blow to self esteem for not being able to ). I've always seen men (especially fat men) as beautiful, even though we're often told only women are beautiful. I feel Im a feminist for men as well as women. Living in the US right now, it is disheartening to see so much hatred towards women shoved in our faces all the time; and saddening that men and women are still so divided. Shit, I look forward to our Star Trek future when we all adopt the ideals of the federation :p

I think I got lost on the way to Hyde Park.....sorry guys.

Cobra Verde likes this.
  13. Oct 17, 2016 #1273

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Readers of romance and YA fiction tend to go through a lot of books, most other genres don't have as many voracious readers (or perhaps have pickier readers?). They know where their big sales numbers are.

14. Oct 17, 2016 #1274

ODFFA

ODFFA

ODFFA

Absolutely this. As things currently stand, I can no longer bring myself to identify with that particular label. But how could I ever not be pro gender equality? And even among some people who we might feel could do with a little polishing in this area, I think when it really comes down to it, most people think this way.

There's a whole lot of two-way demonizing happening in different discourses lately. And most of it is unnecessary, if you really break it down.

Adding to this, I wonder if people would be as open to sharing about any romance or YA fiction they might read. Even if it's pretty occasional that I'd pick up, say, The Fault In Our Stars, I still wouldn't really think to share about it when I do. Not so much out of utter shame than just.... uh..... lack of extra-interestingness?

15. Oct 17, 2016 #1275

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei

Isn't it a common stereotype that fat guys have "geekier" (i.e. genre fiction) tastes in entertainment? Perhaps there may be some truth to that.

Is it weird that this made my heart glow a little? I know it's not an uncommon sentiment here but seeing it said is still affecting to me. *reads back* Yeah it's weird.
    Also, the "NO U" meme was created for times like this.

Don't even joke about that. *lays down in front of Hyde Park to keep you out of that shithole*

16. Oct 17, 2016 #1276

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

This one is YA fantasy, but that is one area of fantasy that seems more acceptable? I haven't checked for a bit if there is a new book out, but I really like Tamora Pierce's 'Song of the Lioness' Quartet and many of the sequels set in the same world (called Tortall) (less so the 'Immortals' series that starts with Wild Magic series, but I quite like the 'Trickster' and 'Provost's Dogs' ones, and the Protector of the Small was quite good too). (She has another set of series in another world that are OK, but just never hit me quite the same way.) Nothing super deep, but girl-power positive and quite good reads.

I've read some deliberate fantasy-romance hybrids, but they still tend to get shelved with the fantasy (probably to their publisher's dismay?) so I think those wouldn't count the same way.

17. Oct 18, 2016 #1277

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!

I like romance in the way I like cotton candy. Predictable, melts in your mouth, don't have to think about chewing, and gone in a trice.

I've been reading Kresley Cole's immortals series. So it's fantasy. Vamps and Werewolves and all that jazz. Actually enjoying the fact that it has an underlying plot and characters remain from book to book. It's still, ya know, romance, though.

Though, as with all romances, I have to do this sort of real time editingL

She ran her hands down his narrow fat waist, enjoying the view of his taut abs belly hanging over his pants. She had never seen a man so fit fat.

rabbitislove likes this.
  18. Oct 19, 2016 #1278

ODFFA

ODFFA

ODFFA

I've been trying to stave off the temptation to learn Spanish. (This always happens to me. A kind of language senioritis, tempting me away from the old and towards the new.)

I will not abandon the French ship this time. And so, to satiate the Spanish craving just a little, I have decided to look into another popular-yet-unpopular medium......telenovelas! :blush: My brain might have to work a little harder, but you'd better believe I'll be doing the same kind of mental editing that we FFAs do when reading.

So feel free, Hispanophones, after teasing me mercilessly, to recommend a series or two!

19. Oct 19, 2016 #1279

Crumbling

Crumbling

Crumbling

Distilled Evil

Not a telenovela... but I've been enjoying El ministerio del tiempo

20. Oct 19, 2016 #1280

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei

I think I have just the thing for you....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjuBxLCkvPY&feature=youtu.be&t=46s[/ame]