USB Mini Fridge

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
lol that is SO cute! And Im impressed it gets to 8 degrees, most of those small fridges only go to like 20 below the room temp.

TheSadeianLinguist

Coin-Operated
Isn't it the cutest thing ever? I'm kind of bummed it's not bigger and no freezer part. It'd be perfect for a pint of ice cream.

FreeThinker

lol that is SO cute! And Im impressed it gets to 8 degrees, most of those small fridges only go to like 20 below the room temp.

8 degrees is only 12 below room temperature. It's Celsius.

8 Fahrenheit would be seriously frozen.

Also, it says it holds a "standard 300 ml can". Most pop cans now are 355 ml.

I'm not impressed.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
8 degrees is only 12 below room temperature. It's Celsius.

8 Fahrenheit would be seriously frozen.

Also, it says it holds a "standard 300 ml can". Most pop cans now are 355 ml.

I'm not impressed.

I don't understand why you highlighted my post, then "explained" this to me. Im in the UK therefore I use celcius. I was using celcius and fahrenheit alternately there, given that I know Americans use fahrenheit. I also know how hot it can get there. If youre in a hot office at say.. 78 degrees fahrenheit, a can of drink at 8 celcius (46.4 degrees fahreneit) would be most refreshing and a fair bit cooler than the usual little coolers that wouldn't get so cold.

I believe the 300ml is a misprint on that description and should say 330ml. When you say most pop cans are now 355 ml, I assume you *actually* mean that as most pop cans in the USA? OUR standard cans in the UK are 330ml, and that hasn't changed in ... well as long as I know of. Given it's a UK site, I think that would be more likely. And there is extra space in the little fridge, looks like it would hold a can of beer, which is taller.

Still think it looks fine!

Miss Vickie

And there is extra space in the little fridge, looks like it would hold a can of beer, which is taller.

Oooh, beer, now you're talkin'! :D My only worry with it is that occasionally my USB ports get a little cranky so I'd worry that it wouldn't get consistent "juice". But since it's only for pop and not, say, eggs or milk or a sammich it would be fine. What a cute little fridge. I like it! I can't think of a use for it since I'm a stone's throw from my kitchen but still -- cuteness.

GenericGeek

Wearin' my angry eyes
Aarrgghhh!

Cute it is, I'll give it that. But it looks like it's a Peltier device-based cooler (aka a solid-state heat pump, or thermoelectric device.) They are truly a techno-twit's delight, but notoriously power-hungry & inefficient. I have a larger unit, suitable for use in the car. That is, until you forget to unplug it when you turn the engine off, and you run the battery flat in less than a half hour :mad:...

The max current draw from a computer's USB port is really quite small, so it isn't really a good idea to run clever doodads like this from one. But you can buy "USB Travel Chargers" & the like, that plug into the wall (mains, for you folks in the UK :)), if you really can't live without it.

As for me, I'm quite satisfied with my "Cat's Arse Pencil Sharpener", thank you. Needs no source of power whatsoever, and meows quite dementedly when you turn the pencil, as well :D!

[PS. I just noticed that this item is designated "Not for USA." I'm not sure just why we Yanks are being so discriminated against, but I reckon it's at least partly because 8.5C (47.3F) is rather too warm for most American palates... Or it could be the 330 mL vs. 355 mL can size issue. I think that More Research is Needed here!]

Zandoz

Highly irregular
Just what most already undersized and under cooled PC power supplies need...more load. :doh:

Miss Vickie

The max current draw from a computer's USB port is really quite small, so it isn't really a good idea to run clever doodads like this from one. But you can buy "USB Travel Chargers" & the like, that plug into the wall (mains, for you folks in the UK :)), if you really can't live without it.

I was wondering about that. I got Burtimus one that's for keeping coffee hot, a mini hot-plate, if you will. I think he likes it. I'll have to ask him. My only concern is that it seems like my USB's are kinda wonky sometimes, subject to not working great if there's dust or *cough cough* dog hair (shhh!) clogging them.

GenericGeek

Wearin' my angry eyes
I was wondering about that. I got Burtimus one that's for keeping coffee hot, a mini hot-plate, if you will. I think he likes it. I'll have to ask him. My only concern is that it seems like my USB's are kinda wonky sometimes, subject to not working great if there's dust or *cough cough* dog hair (shhh!) clogging them.

OK, here's where I get really geeky: the maximum amount of power the USB specs say you can get is half an amp, at five and a quarter volts, tops. This works out to about 2.5 Watts!

Enough to keep your coffee warm, but not much else. :D

(PS. Have you considered covering up your USB ports with, eg, clear bandage tape, when not in use? That'd keep most of the annoying crap out of them, so's they stay clean...)