Vehicles for the plus size!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

I know there are probably a lot of threads about this but I haven't found but one. Right now, I drive a 2006 Honda Element and although the back is very roomy I can't say the same for the front ( especially the drivers side). With trying to accommodate a stomach and hips the car is beginning to be on the squished side! So any recommendations for cars to accommodate both..preferably with an open portion between the front seats ( the counsel)
Thanks
I drove a Chevy Tahoe with no problems at all but it is a gas hog!

Now I drive an 05 Honda element!! I am 5'11 511 pounds ( whoa I just realized the match in numbers!) and I am very bottom heavy, big hips butt and belly. I love my car but I know your pain. My bottom hangs over the side of the drivers seat and so I shove a pillow there to help hold my bottom up. I have thought about taking out the door panel and making some sort of contraption to put in the middle of the seats to make it more like a bench seat. I too was wondering if there is some kind of SUV type vehicle that can accommodate a tall bottom heavy woman.

Ps I am also in the Northwest!

BigCutieAurora

BigCutieAurora
This is such an issue for me! I absolutely adore small cars but I feel squished whenever I'm in them. Advice on smaller cars that feel big?? :) Thanks!

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Toyota RAV4.... Just got it a week ago and I love it!
Not that I've been in loads of different cars but that is THE only car that I feel 100% comfortable both getting in and out of, and sitting in! What a dream not having to clamber down into a car or haul myself up out of it like a sack of potatoes. Instead you just regally step into the RAV 4 from the wide open door into the spacious foot well area. The passenger seat felt like an armchair. Ahh can't sing it's praises enough!

~nai'a~

It really is fabulous! :bow: :happy:

Not that I've been in loads of different cars but that is THE only car that I feel 100% comfortable both getting in and out of, and sitting in! What a dream not having to clamber down into a car or haul myself up out of it like a sack of potatoes. Instead you just regally step into the RAV 4 from the wide open door into the spacious foot well area. The passenger seat felt like an armchair. Ahh can't sing it's praises enough!

Allie Cat

I've got a rental this week because both of the cars in my family died in the space of a weekend, and I'm really rather surprised by how roomy it is! They set me up with a 2015 Nissan Versa, it's a tiny little thing but the interior's HUGE. At least, it feels that way to me compared to my 2006 Outback!

Your mileage my vary of course, and I'm pretty small compared to some, but it might be worth checking out.

bubba350

Try the Fiat 500L rommy teloscoping steering wheel just the right height.Higher driver postion.Kinda like Dr. Who's tardis bigger on the inside than the outside.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Versa's are soooo comfy! I like how they drive too.

I just bought a new Mitsubishi Mirage and it's super comfy as well. But the driver's seatbelt was tight so I bought a seat belt extender.

I've got a rental this week because both of the cars in my family died in the space of a weekend, and I'm really rather surprised by how roomy it is! They set me up with a 2015 Nissan Versa, it's a tiny little thing but the interior's HUGE. At least, it feels that way to me compared to my 2006 Outback!

Your mileage my vary of course, and I'm pretty small compared to some, but it might be worth checking out.

ecogeek

I went to Melbourne last week for a holiday and had a car rental lined up there. At major airports in the US you can go sit in cars and choose one you like, unfortunately not the case here. I rented a small SUV and did not fit at all, then asked to change to something different, the guy took like 30m to process the papers for another car, still no go. At this point I was frustrated, tired from the flight, it was 1am. I just asked if I could try a few cars and he said he did not have any others. I didn't really have any other options as the other rental places were closed, was about in tears and magically he found me a Ford Kuga. It was much better and made my week in Melbourne pretty awesome.

bigmac

... he found me a Ford Kuga. It was much better and made my week in Melbourne pretty awesome.

AKA Ford Escape -- one of Ford's better efforts. The hybrid Ford C-Max is built on the same platform and is also roomy.

ecogeek

Ahh gotcha! Most cars seem to have different build names down in Australia. >.<

FluffyButterfly80

Let's be friends!
If you like a small car, my Tyota Yaris (2012) seems to be pretty comfy for me... i'm at 320 and I haven't noticed any discomfort.

RabbitScorpion

vienna carrier-no venom
If you like a small car, my Tyota Yaris (2012) seems to be pretty comfy for me... i'm at 320 and I haven't noticed any discomfort.
Agree. I rented a Yaris when visiting my sister out of state in 2013. Plenty of room.

I have a strange "theory" that many minicompacts have enough room- because they know potential customers will carefully evaluate room when comparing their car to others.

I do remember that the 1988 Yugo GV claimed more rear seat headroom than the Lincoln Continental Luxury Sport Coupe (not the Town Car!)

One criticism of the Yaris: I found it hard to get a good side view when merging onto the 494.

Last edited:

FluffyButterfly80

Let's be friends!
Agree. I rented a Yaris when visiting my sister out of state in 2013. Plenty of room.

I have a strange "theory" that many minicompacts have enough room- because they know potential customers will carefully evaluate room when comparing their car to others.

I do remember that the 1988 Yugo GV claimed more rear seat headroom than the Lincoln Continental Luxury Sport Coupe (not the Town Car!)

One criticism of the Yaris: I found it hard to get a good side view when merging onto the 494.
yeah... i feel like if you are gonna have a mini car.. they gotta make it comfy and roomy..otherwise.. who's gonna buy that!? LOL
:D

missourifat

It might be a good idea, when trying out a car, would be to have a friend go along with a digital camera, to take photographs of the BBP seated in the car in different positions. This would show how a person looks seated, and what parts of the body might overhang the seat, which might cause problems during long drives.
Searching I found Survey of Auto seat design recommentations for improved
comfort by mathew reed April 2000. I couldn't get the link to show up, but it does seem to show the diagrams for measurements of your body to find a seat that would fit.
Missourifat

bigmac

Have to remember to compare apples to apples -- many times cars change considerably from year to year but keep the same name. My first generation Volvo V70 and my wife's second generation V70 are totally different cars. While in many respects my wife's newer version is the superior car my older version is easier to get in and out of and has more room for long legs and large feet (neither car is a good choice for people with wide hips).

Also, try to avoid cars with history of mechanical problems. There are internet forums for many brands and models. My wife's former car, a 2003 Ford Taurus, was a complete piece of shit (well documented if we had bothered to look it up). We spent thousands of dollars keeping that dog on the road (inc. two engines and three transmissions). The car was very roomy -- my wife weighed 500 pound when she bought it and it was one of the few cars that fit. In retrospect she should have kept looking.

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
People have widely disparate measures of reliability. Hence, with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, plenty of people naturally figure something like "Well, if it's solid for 100k, then that's good enough."

Meanwhile, for certain makes and models, not so uncommon to see people take them to double that mileage and well-beyond.

A larger, heavier person, of course, will tend to put a bit more wear on the interior. But it's not like you can't replace a good deal of that stuff for a fraction of the cost of a whole new car. It's just that, beyond the 100k mark, who really cares so much about what the interior of the car looks like.

Skye23

I'm fond of all 3 of my Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors - retired police cruisers). I'm about 5'3" and 300lbs (fun sized!) and I fit in them just fine. Front seat, back seat, driving - the seatbelts fit etc. The 2001 model is my car, I can just reach the gas pedal, hubby's got a 2004 we're about to give to my parents and he's about 5'10" and 250+lb and the 2011 we just got is great, even roomier. They'd probably fit someone much larger then I am because I have really short legs and have to really move the seat up to reach the gas, if you had longer legs you'd have a lot more room for the belly.

bigmac

People have widely disparate measures of reliability. Hence, with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, plenty of people naturally figure something like "Well, if it's solid for 100k, then that's good enough."

Yes, and expectations have changed over time. When I was a kid people made a big deal of cars making it to 100K (our 1969 Dodge Dart made it to 204K and everyone thought that was amazing).

Today the more reliable cars routinely go 250 to 300K. The most reliable of today's cars required little more than oil changes, and new brake pads and tires to go over 250K (i.e. Toyota Corollas -- at least those with timing chains rather than belts). Other cars need to be pampered a bit more (i.e. my Volvo V70 has 285K but its on its third timing belt which have to be changed routinely to avoid engine failure).

There are also cars that seldom make it past 150K no matter how pampered. My five cylinder naturally aspirated Volvo with four speed automatic has been very reliable, however, models with more powerful turbos and six cylinder engines equipped with similar four speed automatics have be plagued with car killing transmission problems. Bottom line -- do your research. The are internet forums for many makes -- these are a good place to start.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Being around 400lbs at just under 5 foot 3, I always feel it important to report on here any time I have a comfortable passenger experience in a car. My son has an old Honda Civic and though he loves it and it's very reliable, I just find it very "saggy" to sit in and have to haul myself out, lifting my legs over a high side part at the door. He also gets quite ratty as he says my right knee is constantly in his way when he is moving the gear stick - I find it very difficult to position myself so this doesn't happen. Three weeks ago, I was given a ride in my son's gf's dad's car - a Nissan Qashqai. I haven't been so comfy in a car since I was in a Toyota Rav 4. This car was perfect to get in and out of, no ducking or climbing up out of it, just a straight in and out. No high lip to step over to get in. Lots of room to adjust yourself and get comfortable. VERY comfortable seat that almost cuddles you (though it would be better a little wider for that cuddle!). The best bit of all was that the seatbelt smoothly clipped in place without strapping me tightly to the seat, hurray! Though I am relatively short, I have a padded posterior so I sit very high on chairs and in car seats, so I need a decent ceiling height. This was not a problem in the Qashqai. Not sure if this model is even in the US, but could be handy knowledge for holiday car hire. Oh and my knee was nowhere near the gearstick, so no getting in the way. Lots of footwell and thigh space, so very comfortable option for a long journey.

Last edited:

Latest posts