Vehicles for the plus size!

Discussion in 'BBW/FA Board' started by northwestgirl, Apr 11, 2015.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Jan 3, 2016 #41

Iannathedriveress

Iannathedriveress

Iannathedriveress

Random Heroine

I'm 5'10 and 237 pounds that drives a 2007 Mercury Mariner. It's alright but it is not the best for larger due to the center console taking a lot of room.

2. Jan 4, 2016 #42

Ruby Ripples

Ruby Ripples

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member

Ah thanks for that info!

3. Jan 4, 2016 #43

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband

My wife and I got a 2013 Kia Sportage LX a couple of months ago and it is very roomy. I am 6'2" & 350 and my wife is 5'6" and just over 300 (large tummy). We have zero issues with it. The back seat is so roomy that my 15 year old son (5'10" & 270) can sit behind me with plenty of room. And it gets an average of 28 MPG in mixed driving (much higher than the EPA estimates.)

4. Jan 10, 2016 #44

PolarKat

PolarKat

PolarKat

Digital Sun tanning

Since I happened to recently drive these, I'll add the Dodge Magnum, and Challenger.. seriously roomy cars for the driver..

My daily drive is a Jeep TJ, but I had to build brackets to move the driver seat back a few inches..

5. Feb 29, 2016 #45

luvhips

luvhips

luvhips

Go to a good car upholstery shop and I'm sure they can do some interior work to make your car more comfortable.

6. Mar 3, 2016 #46

missourifat

missourifat

missourifat

I haven't been to any of the BBP dances and other social functions in a long time. I was reading about preferences in cars.
    What about adding an automobile seat party? It could be set up for those who volunteer park their cars in one spot. Then they could let others sit in the drivers seat to see how they fit. It would save having to drive to different automobile dealerships all over.

7. Mar 4, 2016 #47

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

Some used car dealerships are huge (CarMax comes to mind). http://www.carmax.com/enus/locations/default.html You can go to one of these places and sit in scores of cars (and then piss off the sales people by buying on Craigslist). :)

8. Mar 9, 2016 #48

Tracii

Tracii

Tracii

I had a Versa as a loner car for a few weeks around Christmas while my SUV was getting worked on and its surprisingly roomy

9. Mar 14, 2016 #49

BigJibbie

BigJibbie

BigJibbie

I have a Suzuki Ertiga and it has much roon for me and my friends and family.

10. Mar 15, 2016 #50

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

This MPV was never available in the USA. Indeed Suzuki stopped selling cars and SUVs in the USA at the end of 2012.

That said used Suzuki's are still available and are good inexpensive choices. The Suzuki SX4 is roomy and very reliable subcompact.

11. Mar 15, 2016 #51

BigJibbie

BigJibbie

BigJibbie

The Ertiga is manufatured in Indonesia and Thailand, in India(?) the same car ist available under Mazda brand :)

12. Mar 16, 2016 #52

Allie Cat

Allie Cat

Allie Cat

Are they really, bigmac? I was searching for a car recently and was considering an SX4, but ended up going with a Honda CR-V because everyone I'd talked to who'd had experience with Suzuki told me they were unreliable :x

13. Mar 16, 2016 #53

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

Suzuki models that were actually built by Suzuki are very reliable. This includes the SX4 (recommended by Consumer Reports). Unfortunately for their reputation Suzuki sold several models that were actually manufactured by other companies (Suzukis built by Daewoo were particularly bad -- I use the past tense since I haven't seen one still on the road for quite some time).

Suzuki engines are particularly durable (they were one of the first companies to go back to using timing chains rather than the timing belts that are so often the Achilles heal of cars with small engines -- including many Hondas.) Again this only applies to engines Suzuki actually built themselves.

14. Mar 16, 2016 #54

Allie Cat

Allie Cat

Allie Cat

Huh. The more you know and stuff!

Thankfully my CR-V does have a chain instead of a belt... one of the things about it I actually like more than my poor Subie.

15. Mar 17, 2016 #55

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

All Chrysler products based on the last generation Mercedes E class chassis are roomy. However, there is a safety issue regarding the Dodge Magnum. The very low -- "chopped" -- roofline of the Magnum means the side windows are very small. In case of an accident its unlikely that even a moderately large person could be extracted through them.

16. Mar 18, 2016 #56

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

On Space Out

The Mazda 5 (not the same, but similar; formerly the MPV, also designated the Mazda Premacy) was discontinued at the end of the 2015 model year. It was a rather nice small minivan.
    I'm rather fond of that vehicle type, having once had a (Mitsubishi) Eagle Summit Wagon. Probably won't ever have one again despite the utility, since The Lovely and Talented Mrs. Bomb detests both minivans and station wagons.

17. Mar 18, 2016 #57

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

Never understood my people don't like minivans and wagons. They're the most useful and adaptable of vehicles. My wife doesn't like them either. She made an exception for the Volvo V70 wagon I got her a couple of moths ago (nice leather seats can win people over).

However, I wouldn't recommend the V70 for people with wide hips.

18. Mar 18, 2016 #58

Allie Cat

Allie Cat

Allie Cat

I mostly like sports cars, but I've got a soft spot for smaller wagons and crossovers. Especially Subarus. <3

19. Mar 19, 2016 #59

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

On Space Out

The answer I get is that station wagons and especially minivans are an admission of defeat. Get one, and you're acknowledging that your family has trapped you into settling for bleak transportation utility. An SUV means you still have ambitions of an adventurous outdoor lifestyle, despite the fact you chose it because of its convenient child-seat anchor points and the third-row seating for the Sunday School carpool.

It's image, no more and no less.

For the record, we have no kids, just a dog and a cat. And I agree that Volvos in general tend to have good fore-aft space, but not much side-to-side (the now-discontinued C30/S40/V50/C70 platform vehicles have a raised center console between the front seats, and really could benefit from a seatbelt extender).

20. Mar 19, 2016 #60

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

Funny I've always thought that middle age guys who buy sports cars were admitting defeat (i.e. admitting that the only way they can hookup is by spending copious amounts of money).