Very little activity on this forum now

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

blubberismanly

Basically New
Last time I was here, granted this was multiple years ago, the place was buzzing with life. Sometimes it was hard to keep up with everyone's replies. Nowadays it seems forum involvement has slowed to a crawl.

I understand as years pass people change their forums and opinions with them. But in this case we all share a very uncommon preference, and there aren't very many places to connect. Online is really the only option. In real life...well, good luck.

Anyway, I'm out of the loop. What has changed? Was there a mass exodus when the forums were redone? I expected it to be different, but not this different. I can tell the trends have changed, I just don't know when or how. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

EDIT: I've also noticed the main site no longer exists. All the other fat fetish sites are gone, and I remember a long list of them. It was bound to happen. Right now I'm just curious of what I've missed.

HeavyDuty24

Come on rise up
I hadn't been on in ages i guess just life etc. I do see a few people i remember from long ago. I guess this happens with most all forums. Just now noticed the remodel since i hadnt been in awhile.

HeavyDuty24

Come on rise up
Things led to a mass exodus from Dims include

Facebook
WLS
Death
In fighting here on the forums
People just moving on with life among other things led to a mass exodus from Dims.

Hell, you could apply those reasons to other fat acceptance sites and NAAAFA as well.

I agree sometimes it is just signs of the times. There are so many social media stuff FB instagram etc Twitter that people go to now. I still log in here from time to time.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Once upon a time this was the only site for fat chat that had many people on it, so by default it was the site everyone came to for fat chat -- and then to keep up with the friends they'd made here. Not everyone liked the general tone of the site, or the discussion board format, but there wasn't a lot of choice.

Now there are tons of ways to stay in touch, and there are many more places to connect around various aspects of fat. People can find what suits them best, and sometimes people also just want something new and different. Discussion boards are pretty out of style. *shrug* things change.

blubberismanly

Basically New
I've noticed some of the posts here go back to 2003. I remember those days. Makes me feel very old and out of touch. But I do see your point. It just seems hard to find places for such niche chat elsewhere. Dating sites are hardly the place. I dunno...maybe I just dig nostalgia. Getting sentimental in my old age. Something like that.

TwoSwords

EDIT: I've also noticed the main site no longer exists. All the other fat fetish sites are gone, and I remember a long list of them. It was bound to happen. Right now I'm just curious of what I've missed.

I've had some discussions about this with some of the older members, and the consensus seems to be that, as with television eradicating attendance at stage plays, the major-company social media sites have drawn all the attention away from specialized forums and websites like this one.

However, I also think there are other factors, perhaps more important. I think the current near-wars between men and women have been further fueled by the divisive expelling of men from fat acceptance as a cause, so more division has been caused, and that's never good for socializing. I don't, however, agree with Tad that there are many more places to connect around various aspects of fat. There are more places to talk about certain, specific aspects of it, which are relatively mainstream, but authentic niche chat is far from easy to find.

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
Authentic niche "fat" chat is pretty much relegated to Facebook and other social media platforms, whether it's specialized groups or circles of fat friends & admireres. At least that's the observation that I have made.

The near-wars between men and women that TwoSwords touched on has also been a legitimate factor as well.

BigElectricKat

I found this site last year while I searched on the subject of FA and initially found it very interesting. I tried to get involved and learn from real people and not just from "Wikipedia" about such things. At first I learned a great deal about the breadth and width (no puns intended) of FA and what it meant to different people. But I got into trouble expressing my POV and had to finally withdraw from the community for a while. I only recently came back and it does seem as though there isn't as much activity as there used to be. I really have a genuine need to learn and get various opinions so I came back.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I do think that younger people exploring the net for fat stuff are finding Feabie more often to their taste. It has that Facebook style newsfeed that is a) familiar, because Facebook style, and b) closer to chatting than to the letters to the editor style exchanges of web boards. (Don't forget that part of what drove Dimensions early popularity was it's chat room.). Your words are ancient history in an hour in that sort of format, but attention and responses (andand validation) can happen in a minute. Also more pictures.

Add in various other smaller sites that have some devotees putting their time and energy there, Facebook groups, and other social media (tumblr BBW and bhm pages for example), and all the web models that let FA who just want to 'admire' without really interacting do so ..... And it really doesn't leave so many people/energy for a site like this.

I think you come here now either because you like the web board format, or because you are emotionally invested in the site.

andycarter

Facebook has killed almost all web forums. Thing is, facebook is a crappy interface for having conversations. Whether your post is seen at all is at the whim of the facebook algorithm, and then conversations just disappear. And there are no post titles, so it requires a lot of patience to look at the history of a group, and there's no useful search.

TwoSwords

Facebook has killed almost all web forums. Thing is, facebook is a crappy interface for having conversations. Whether your post is seen at all is at the whim of the facebook algorithm, and then conversations just disappear. And there are no post titles, so it requires a lot of patience to look at the history of a group, and there's no useful search.

I think this is why I find it so weird. To me, it seems so self-evident that Facebook is not a good place to talk, and yet, lots of folks seem to have moved there, which I just don't understand. It's almost like they're not sufficiently interested in discussing their favorite topics to care if anyone replies.

BigElectricKat

I think this is why I find it so weird. To me, it seems so self-evident that Facebook is not a good place to talk, and yet, lots of folks seem to have moved there, which I just don't understand. It's almost like they're not sufficiently interested in discussing their favorite topics to care if anyone replies.
I guess I am really an odd duck. I don't have facebook, twitter, or any of that other stuff. Perhaps I'd better get with the times. Maybe I'll find better luck there.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Facebook isn't really designed for group chat/discussions. It is designed for friends/family to talk to each other, not for you to talk to strangers/meet people. It's not really a fair comparison.

Though from what I can gather, the lack of activity in the fat-loving world in general is due to a number of things. People getting old/dying/moving on is a big one, as is the lack of new/young people being encouraged for a long time. Amongst people my age, Dims was always derided as being full of middle aged people that just wanted to argue and honestly, as I recall, even back in the day it wasn't the most welcoming place for young people. So unsurprising that we didn't get involved and went elsewhere instead.

As well, young people are excellent at finding/creating subcultures for themselves anywhere. We don't need specific sites/forums for talking about/to fat people, because we can create our own subcommunity on tumblr, twitter, reddit, youtube etc etc. And frankly, us 'young' people aren't so young anymore - I'm approaching my 30s - and we are taking up a bigger and bigger percentage of the active, enthusiastic online population.

The lack of an instant chatting software really hurts here too. Chat was always popular before it got pulled. Not my thing, but it draws a different and wider audience than forums alone. Of course, there is the issue of how that would be moderated nowdays; the entire 4 mods we have now can't possibly be expected to a) sit on the chat 24/7 or b) know how to use that software, so it would likely become over ran with spam, as well as potential fighting, inappropriate language, threats etc etc.

Over the years, lots of people have tried to make their own fat community space/website and it's never really taken off.

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
I was watching a video on YouTube a while back from a younger lady who was not very welcomed by some of the other women at a BBW dance in i believe Chicago. Multiple people in the comments were supportive of her and stated that they were probably "those mean old women from Dimensions ". I have also seen similar allusions to Dims elsewhere. This place, for better or worse, has developed a reputation as being unwelcoming.

BigElectricKat

I was watching a video on YouTube a while back from a younger lady who was not very welcomed by some of the other women at a BBW dance in i believe Chicago. Multiple people in the comments were supportive of her and stated that they were probably "those mean old women from Dimensions ". I have also seen similar allusions to Dims elsewhere. This place, for better or worse, has developed a reputation as being unwelcoming.
My first venture into this community last year was not the most welcoming either. I had legitmate questions about things as I was just really learning what FA was all about. Of course, I held onto some notions about being fat/loving fat and the like. There were a couple of times when other Dimmers lashed out at me for my questions or stances on certain subjects. I also saw where a young woman came on here and made some statements or asked questions and someone jsut royally attacked her! Suffice it to say, she never came back.
As for me, I decided to come back and give this place another chance. So far, I'm glad I did.

TwoSwords

We don't need specific sites/forums for talking about/to fat people, because we can create our own subcommunity on tumblr, twitter, reddit, youtube etc etc.

No to both reddit and youtube. It just doesn't exist there. Tumblr has its own problems, and as for twitter, while it's fine for short blurbs and chats, it's hardly a venue for the expression of complex ideas or long explanations of various things.

Over the years, lots of people have tried to make their own fat community space/website and it's never really taken off.

There must be a fine distinction between this quote and the first, which I simply haven't picked up on.

TwoSwords

My first venture into this community last year was not the most welcoming either. I had legitmate questions about things as I was just really learning what FA was all about. Of course, I held onto some notions about being fat/loving fat and the like. There were a couple of times when other Dimmers lashed out at me for my questions or stances on certain subjects. I also saw where a young woman came on here and made some statements or asked questions and someone jsut royally attacked her! Suffice it to say, she never came back.

My first couple months on here were largely combative as well. If I hadn't already been trained in philosophical self-defense in the war-torn battlefields of Youtube, I might have gone elsewhere and that would have been that.

Latest posts