• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Vogue Writer Puts the Spotlight on 7 Year Old Daughter's Weight

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deven

Wendigo
The Daily Beast
Initial Jezebel Article
Jezebel Article on the Book

The Daily Beast said:
In Vogue, Weiss writes that she decided to put Bea on a diet following the girl’s diagnosis of childhood obesity—yet the real call to action was when a boy at school called her fat. Weiss claims that she tried to give Bea a healthy and balanced diet, but she spirals into policing her like a traffic cop, humiliating her in public, and depriving her of meals as a punishment for overeating.

It appears Vogue has taken down the article or never put it online, because I can't find it. Their writer named Dara Lynn Weiss talks about how she struggles with her 7 year old daughter being obese.

The Vogue Article said:
I once reproachfully deprived Bea of her dinner after learning that her observation of French Heritage Day at school involved nearly 800 calories of Brie, filet mignon, baguette, and chocolate. I stopped letting her enjoy Pizza Fridays when she admitted to adding a corn salad as a side dish one week. I dressed down a Starbucks barista when he professed ignorance of the nutrition content of the kids' hot chocolate whose calories are listed as "120-210" on the menu board: Well, which is it? When he couldn't provide an answer, I dramatically grabbed the drink out of my daughter's hands, poured it into the garbage, and stormed out.

The more emphasis you put on this, especially at her age, the more of a complicated and hard relationship this girl is going to have on food. And to publisize it in Vogue, when people are BOUND to know who she is? "Your mom called you fat in a magazine."

And now she's writing a book on it called The Heavy. Where is this kid going to be mentally in 10 years?

Edit: And I somehow missed that she will berate her daughter for eating something "bad." So, mental abuse?

The Vogue Article said:
I cringe when I recall the many times I had it out with Bea over a snack give to her by a friend's parent or caregiver. Rather than direct my irritation at the grown-up, I often derided Bea for not refusing the inappropriate snack. And there have been many awkward moments at parties, when Bean has wanted to eat, say both cookies and cake, and I've engaged in a heated public discussion about why she can't.

Latest posts

Back