Quantcast

Want to feel old?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

archivaltype

shake n bake
Welp, time to go crawl up in a ball and cry over feeling old. lol
Yeah, same here. I turned 25 last month and my grandma was like OMG U HALFWAI 2 50...then she goes...wait, I lied, that was mean you are only 25 sweetie my love.

Way to put things in perspective grannie hahaha

crosseyedhamster

Personally, whenever someone tells me I'm old, I like to shoop out "old" with "a Jedi master."

KHayes666

Go away
Update: Its been 20 years since Wrestlemania 10

Its been 10 years since the first NHL lockout

Its been 40 years since KISS debut album came out

Its been 5 years since Lady Gaga's Fame Monster came out

Its been 15 years since Syphon Filter came out

Its been 25 years since the 1980's ended

Its been 30 years since the Celtics and Lakers captivated the US in the 1984 NBA Finals

Its been 35 years since the height of disco.

Also, my 10 year high school reunion is coming up in November *shudders*

lucca23v2

Curves for miles
Marshall Mathers LP 2 is coming out in November. The first one was released May 23, 2000. That means some of this year's incoming freshman high school class WEREN'T EVEN BORN YET when the first one came out.

We all remember where we were on September 11, 2001.....this year's senior class was in kindergarten (if that).

Speaking of not even born yet, those same high school freshman weren't born yet during the "Y2K panic"

Remember Janet Jackson's nipple slip during Superbowl 38 in February of 2004? That was during my senior year of high school, this year's senior class of 2014 was in second grade at the time.

DVD's first came out in the late 90's, most everyone our age (25-29 anyway) grew up with VCRs. Again most incoming freshman weren't even born yet when DVD's were first released.

The second grossing US movie of all time is currently Titanic, released in 1997. That was the year this year's junior class was born.

The Montreal Expos became the Washington Nationals for the 2005 MLB season. 8 year old kids today are growing up never knowing (unless their parents told them) that professional baseball existed in Montreal.

The horrendous AOL/Time Warner merger on January 10, 2000 was a public service announcement to show how NOT to run business. Some seniors graduating college majoring in business this coming May were 7 years old when it happened.

which brings me to last and certainly not least....

Most teenagers today never had to deal with dial-up internet connection like we did.

The first CD came out 32 years ago... most people in their 20's have no idea about taping songs off the radio on a walkman- not an MP3 player...they know nothing about LPs (records) and that they came in 3 different speeds..35, 45, and 78... or 8 track tapes...hell most don't even know of cassette tapes..lol... That is feeling old...

KHayes666

Go away
Ugh dialup! I tried playing Everquest on that... talk about a pain in the butt!
lol plus the old computer laptops and desktops weren't built to handle games that came out 4-5 years later. Try playing Gangsters 2 on a Windows 95...doesn't work lol

Chickidee

lol plus the old computer laptops and desktops weren't built to handle games that came out 4-5 years later. Try playing Gangsters 2 on a Windows 95...doesn't work lol
I couldn't even imagine.. I know how bad it is to play new games on computers that are even a year or two old. At least the cheaper computers. Can't wait to build my own gaming rig.

Missamanda

Feels like thunder
I couldn't even imagine.. I know how bad it is to play new games on computers that are even a year or two old. At least the cheaper computers. Can't wait to build my own gaming rig.
I built mine last year. Nothing compares to the feeling of putting your own rig together and then it actually working lol.

MrSensible

Welcome to Moonside.
Ugh dialup! I tried playing Everquest on that... talk about a pain in the butt!
EQ actually worked alright on my dial-up connection, surprisingly. It was the toaster I was playing it on initially that caused all my problems with the game, heh. Gooo... er, mediocre times. :happy:

I built mine last year. Nothing compares to the feeling of putting your own rig together and then it actually working lol.
Amen to that. I put my last rig together in 2012, and it was the first time I ever did it completely from scratch. The feeling I got when I powered it on for the first time and everything worked properly was an epic moment for me :p. It's funny too because the last two gaming rigs I've owned were built (and supposedly tested for "quality assurance") by IBUYPOWER. Both of them had several issues including random BSODS that I could never pinpoint exactly. My self-built system hasn't had a single issue like that and is still going strong -- even after some moderate overclocking.

Needless to say, I'll never have someone else build my computer again. I'm looking forward to the next project, whenever the time comes.

Missamanda

Feels like thunder
Amen to that. I put my last rig together in 2012, and it was the first time I ever did it completely from scratch. The feeling I got when I powered it on for the first time and everything worked properly was an epic moment for me :p. It's funny too because the last two gaming rigs I've owned were built (and supposedly tested for "quality assurance") by IBUYPOWER. Both of them had several issues including random BSODS that I could never pinpoint exactly. My self-built system hasn't had a single issue like that and is still going strong -- even after some moderate overclocking.

Needless to say, I'll never have someone else build my computer again. I'm looking forward to the next project, whenever the time comes.
Same year, same situation for me. I was previously on a store bought Dell with xp professional. Things are a lot better now to say the least. I heard the IBUYPOWER usually put the wrong power supply. I was originally just going to buy a gaming computer but building one came out cheaper and I enjoyed the learning experience. Had to crack my case back open recently to add a new cpu cooler because the stock wasn't getting the job done.
Like you though. Never going back to store-bought or anything other than a self-built system.

MrSensible

Welcome to Moonside.
I heard the IBUYPOWER usually put the wrong power supply.
I can attest to that personally. The last system I bought from them was in 2009, and they shipped it with some shitty off-brand PSU that wasn't powerful enough for the demands of the hardware; particularly the GPU, which was a pretty beefy (at the time) GTX285. I couldn't play Warhammer for more than like a minute before the entire thing would lock up, forcing a manual restart. I was so pissed :p. After dealing with their customer service about it, I decided it would be better to just get a refund for the part and order the one I wanted from Newegg. (It would have taken them like two weeks to get me the proper PSU.)

I've heard some decent reviews for Cyperpower (they built my brother's last rig) but like you, I'd rather just save the money. Plus, it's nice having the peace of mind of knowing that all the hardware in it is the genuine article.

Chickidee

I was actually thinking about getting one of the IBUYPOWER computers, glad I didn't! Might just have the computer shop here build mine. It's a little extra money, but at least I know it's put together right. I combined two systems in the past, but that was just switching out parts. I don't trust my knowledge enough to put together one from scratch.

Missamanda

Feels like thunder
I can attest to that personally. The last system I bought from them was in 2009, and they shipped it with some shitty off-brand PSU that wasn't powerful enough for the demands of the hardware; particularly the GPU, which was a pretty beefy (at the time) GTX285. I couldn't play Warhammer for more than like a minute before the entire thing would lock up, forcing a manual restart. I was so pissed :p. After dealing with their customer service about it, I decided it would be better to just get a refund for the part and order the one I wanted from Newegg. (It would have taken them like two weeks to get me the proper PSU.)

I've heard some decent reviews for Cyperpower (they built my brother's last rig) but like you, I'd rather just save the money. Plus, it's nice having the peace of mind of knowing that all the hardware in it is the genuine article.
That really sucks. You would think for the price they would at least put in a decent power supply. A corsair 650 watt is under $100 retail. I doubt it would break the bank for them to do the job right.

I was actually thinking about getting one of the IBUYPOWER computers, glad I didn't! Might just have the computer shop here build mine. It's a little extra money, but at least I know it's put together right. I combined two systems in the past, but that was just switching out parts. I don't trust my knowledge enough to put together one from scratch.
I didn't trust mine either at first. Learned through youtube videos lol. It's all pretty straight forward. The parts just look intimidating.
The only part that gave me trouble was my cable management. I went with a mid-size case. I'll probably splurge and buy an nzxt phantom case and switch just so I can keep things neat and tidy.

MrSensible

Welcome to Moonside.
That really sucks. You would think for the price they would at least put in a decent power supply. A corsair 650 watt is under $100 retail. I doubt it would break the bank for them to do the job right.
Ha, A Corsair PSU is actually what I bought as soon as I got the refund :). I've been using their PSUs (and ram) for years, and I've got no complaints so far.

I didn't trust mine either at first. Learned through youtube videos lol. It's all pretty straight forward. The parts just look intimidating.
The only part that gave me trouble was my cable management. I went with a mid-size case. I'll probably splurge and buy an nzxt phantom case and switch just so I can keep things neat and tidy.
Yep, it was pretty much the same for me. I had some prior experience of swapping out PSUs and most of the other hardware, but I had never installed a motherboard or processor. I was sweating (literally, heh) the processor especially, because of how easy it can be to damage the pins. Then spreading the thermal paste evenly and installing the heatsink -- it wasn't difficult but I was so obsessed with getting it perfect that it took me like an hour, haha. The motherboard was easier than I expected as it was marked really well (figuring out where to hook all the case connections can be a pain in the ass without clear markings.) Plus, the manual leaves little to the imagination, so as you long as you follow it, it's pretty much smooth sailing.

My cable management is pretty terrible, so I'm with you on that too :happy:.

Missamanda

Feels like thunder
Ha, A Corsair PSU is actually what I bought as soon as I got the refund :). I've been using their PSUs (and ram) for years, and I've got no complaints so far.
Yep, it was pretty much the same for me. I had some prior experience of swapping out PSUs and most of the other hardware, but I had never installed a motherboard or processor. I was sweating (literally, heh) the processor especially, because of how easy it can be to damage the pins. Then spreading the thermal paste evenly and installing the heatsink -- it wasn't difficult but I was so obsessed with getting it perfect that it took me like an hour, haha. The motherboard was easier than I expected as it was marked really well (figuring out where to hook all the case connections can be a pain in the ass without clear markings.) Plus, the manual leaves little to the imagination, so as you long as you follow it, it's pretty much smooth sailing.

My cable management is pretty terrible, so I'm with you on that too :happy:.
I'm a corsair girl all the way. C;

I had added RAM and case fans, etc. But never the actual "brains" of the computer so like you I was on edge and took my time to make sure I didn't break anything off. I am pretty sure I was sweating bullets screwing the motherboard down but as for plugging things in like you said very easy. Well for the most part my case has a power button light and my mobo didn't have a spot for it which was odd but o well the sacrifices we make~

I attempted to use zip-ties in my cable management didn't control very much. I even got a modular power-supply to cut down on cords. Again didn't help me much. We will let this be my excuse for a new case that had more room for more things.... like maybe a second graphics card.

lille

One of the students at my internship asked "what's a VHS?"

MrSensible

Welcome to Moonside.
I'm a corsair girl all the way. C;

I had added RAM and case fans, etc. But never the actual "brains" of the computer so like you I was on edge and took my time to make sure I didn't break anything off. I am pretty sure I was sweating bullets screwing the motherboard down but as for plugging things in like you said very easy. Well for the most part my case has a power button light and my mobo didn't have a spot for it which was odd but o well the sacrifices we make~

I attempted to use zip-ties in my cable management didn't control very much. I even got a modular power-supply to cut down on cords. Again didn't help me much. We will let this be my excuse for a new case that had more room for more things.... like maybe a second graphics card.
I could use a new case myself (I recycled the last one to save money, but it's definitely on the small side.) Good luck on finding one that suits you.

One of the students at my internship asked "what's a VHS?"
Wow... that does indeed make me feel particularly ancient :p.

Latest posts