What’s Everybody Reading?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
The last fiction book I read was a second go around of The Exorcist, first time since I was a teenager last century.

Most of my reading is financial books for work, and I don't find them at all boring, which is a plus.

Shotha, are you a Hindu, or just curious about Hinduism? I tried reading it in my twenties when I was reading as many religious texts as I could because I was searching for a path to follow. It never called to me.

Fat White Vampire Blues was a hard read for me. (I normally read a novel of this length in one to two days, this one took me five days.) It wasn't what I was expecting, and it provoked a great deal of unwelcome self reflection. I knew going in that the main character was the antithesis of the seductive, handsome, charming vampire trope. Jules, the main character, is a glutton, he's lazy, kind of stupid, and all together repulsive. I didn't like that the author while trying to break free from the stereotypical vampire lead resorted to making Jules all of the worst fat stereotypes. He could've very well been written without the fat is pejorative angle. There were some messages buried in the book about self esteem, but I didn't really bother contemplating them because I felt like every page was just one big fat-bashing.

To cleanse my taste buds, I devoured Tents & Tights by Molly O'Hare. Pure Rom Com, brain candy. Last night I started Torn by Carian Cole, another favorite author of mine.

Donna, I'm interested in languages. I always wanted to study Sanskrit. My chance to do so came a few years ago. So, I'm studying Sanskrit. You can't study a language without studying its literature; so, when I was invited to join a Bhagavad Gita study group, I took it up. I'm impressed by it. I've always thought of animals as friends. So, I liked the Hindu notion that animals are on a par with us. I'm very impressed with what I have learned from the Bhagavad Gita and I put a lot of it into practice. However, I would never call myself a Hindu, because I don't think that I know enough about Hinduism.
You won't get a great deal from a quick reading of the Bhagavad Gita. You need to have a lot of linguistic, cultural and historical background to fully understand it. I feel as if I'm paddling in the shallows of a mighty ocean. However, it makes more sense to me than the Bible ever did.

Donna

Lips & hips & ass & sass
I've been reading (and rereading) a manuscript I'm editing for a new author (who happens to be an FA.) I can't wait to slug through all the edits, I think the story has a lot of potential. It's not very often romance is written by a male author, and even less often from a male perspective. Once the author republishes it, I will do a full review and link to it.

I've just finished Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree. If you like fantasy, without a lot of romance, this is a really great book. It is a very engaging story, and at only 318 pages I easily finished it in a day. This morning I started The Immortal Doc Holiday by M.M. Crumley. What little I've read is very engaging, so I think I am going to enjoy this supernatural tale of how Doc Holliday makes a deal for his immortality. I think it's going to be interesting to see how Doc adapts to the modern world.

Reactions: Tad

Donna

Lips & hips & ass & sass
So hey, other than the forums, what's everybody else been reading lately???

After finishing The Immortal Doc Holiday, which was as good as I expected it would be, I moved on to a reread of an old favorite, Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. Even though romance is pretty much my go-to, especially rom-com type novels, I have to take a break from it every now and then and go back to my first love which is sci-fi/fantasy.

The Doc Holiday book was really good. Fun story. I learned that the real Doc Holiday originally used knives as his weapon of choice, and only switched to pistols once his health started failing. Crumley returns Holiday's to his knife wielding ways, as fire arms are too loud and attract too much attention. This is the first book in a series and I look forward to reading the rest.

McCaffrey's Pern series is an absolute classic, as is all her works. I hadn't realized that her daughter Gigi had written another book that is now #24 in the Pern Series. The apple didn't fall far from the tree in the McCaffrey family, and I enjoyed it, despite other's negative reviews. Maybe because the universe McCaffrey created is so dear to me, I am willing to forgive minor plot holes and/or inconsistencies. If you're a fan of Anne McCaffrey, give Gigi a chance. I think with another couple of novels, she will find her voice and may take the Pern canon in a whole new direction.

As I wrote in the what I'm happy about thread, I was gifted a large box of books. There's a lot of Grisham and Baldacci in the mix, both writers I like but am not super crazy about. There are many titles I haven't read, so it's nice to have a wide variety. My happiness, however, was that the box contained the trade paper copies of all of my favorite author's, Olivia Dade, books. There are five books that went out of print before I discovered her, and I was unable to find them even in the online library that I use. I haven't started the five book series yet. Not sure what I'm waiting for.

Thank the universe for storytellers. Without books, I think I would be lost. :)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I have a few things on the go.

I'm re-reading the Steerswoman series (by Rosemary Kirstein) after previously re-reading the fourth (and latest...although far from new) one. It is the sort of writing where at first read you don't realize how carefully everything is crafted, because it flows so naturally. But on re-read you can really see it. Fantastic books (genre would be 'looks like fantasy but much of the plot is the POV character realizing it is science fiction, from pure dogged analysis'. Great strong women characters too, and the unusual fantasy/science-fiction books where the most compelling plot points are well written achievements of thought, rather than action scenes (there is action too). I'm just enjoying the heck out of re-reading them (and was glad to buy the e-books, as the author holds all the rights to the books now). Now if she can just bring herself to finish books five and six before she or I pass away ...

I only just discovered Max Gladstone, and in particular I'm working through his "Craft" series. Definitely fantasy, but fantasy where the magic follows rules of law, commerce, and economics, and investigating the death of a god is something that can happen to a promising 'Craftsperson'. Interesting social and societal takes on things too. Not perfect books, but really creative and compelling. Also, I just love the cover on the first one Three Parts Dead (Craft Sequence, #1)
ETA: Max Gladstone was also co-author on the simply stunning "This is How You Lose The Time War", which is how I first tripped across his name.

And I just discovered that one of my favorite authors, Barbara Hambly, has started a new series. I discovered her with her fantasy novels, and became a devotee with her historical mysteries based in 1830s New Orleans, the Benjamin January/Free Man of Color series. But she's just started a new series, with an englishwoman recently arrived in 1920s Hollywood being pulled into murder mysteries. I'm eager to see what she does with it, but I only just picked that up from the library and haven't cracked the cover yet.

Last edited:

Donna

Lips & hips & ass & sass
Why am I not surprised it’s a book about baseball?

I’ve sunk myself in Olivia Dade’s Lovestruck Librarian series (all five books in just as many days.) My TBR pile is more of a tower, but I can’t seem to commit to anything right now, and so I’m rereading the rest of Dade’s catalog. There is so much material available to be read, so it makes little sense that I would keep rereading certain stories. There’s something comforting, though, about going back to stories and characters I’ve already fallen in love.

Donna

Lips & hips & ass & sass
I’m reading a biography of Laird Cregar. I’m a little obsessed with classic film BHMs right now
Didn't recognize the name, but I did the face once I Googled him. I just recently watched Heaven Can Wait, which he was quite excellent in. How is his biography? I haven't read any biographies in a while, and this one might be a nice change of pace to add to my TBR list.

LuxeLady

Didn't recognize the name, but I did the face once I Googled him. I just recently watched Heaven Can Wait, which he was quite excellent in. How is his biography? I haven't read any biographies in a while, and this one might be a nice change of pace to add to my TBR list.
I’m not very far into it, but it’s interesting so far. I would definitely recommend it. I need to watch Heaven Can Wait, it’s in my watchlist.

Donna

Lips & hips & ass & sass
I'm ashamed to admit my reading has slowed down some. I've been throwing myself into writing projects, and I went into a bit of a post-book high crash (I wonder if I could call it 'book drop'??) after re-reading Olivia Dade. Inspired by @LuxeLady, I read two autobiographies back to back...one was a re-read, ME: Stories of my Life by Katherine Hepburn (a personal hero) and Pamela DesBarres' I'm With the Band. I can't believe I've never read DesBarres' book before, given my love for rock music. A friend suggested it as I am currently researching for a story I'm writing that features a rock band.

My copy of the Laird Cregar biography was downloaded to my eReader this morning, so I am hoping to start on it tonight.

LuxeLady

I'm ashamed to admit my reading has slowed down some. I've been throwing myself into writing projects, and I went into a bit of a post-book high crash (I wonder if I could call it 'book drop'??) after re-reading Olivia Dade. Inspired by @LuxeLady, I read two autobiographies back to back...one was a re-read, ME: Stories of my Life by Katherine Hepburn (a personal hero) and Pamela DesBarres' I'm With the Band. I can't believe I've never read DesBarres' book before, given my love for rock music. A friend suggested it as I am currently researching for a story I'm writing that features a rock band.

My copy of the Laird Cregar biography was downloaded to my eReader this morning, so I am hoping to start on it tonight.
I have since finished it…it gets very sad

Donna

Lips & hips & ass & sass
Still reading the Laird Cregar book...I've been unable to read or write a great deal this week, unfortunately, due to having an IV in my hand, making it difficult to hold my eReader and/or type. Plan on rectifying that this weekend. But I'm posting now because I committed to a promising new author a review once I finished his book, and shame on me I never posted it.

48 Hour First Date With a BBW is written by one of our own. I will let him identify himself is he wishes, the book itself is available on Amazon for print, download, and is even free if you have Kindle Unlimited.

This is not your typical romance novella. There's no "happily ever after", but it's not a sad ending either. There are none of the typical romance tropes. It more or less fades out at the end, leaving the reader to imagine what happens on down the road with the couple. I liked that part of it. It's also written solely from the man's point of view, in a style I can best describe as stream of consciousness meets memoir. It's not dark, there is no rape or even forced sexual situations, but I know some might find the author's dialogue and humor to be less sensitive than we are used to reading in the post-me-too world. The novella is set in a world where off-color humor like that of Rodney Dangerfield is widely accepted. It's worth a read and I recommend it to anyone who came of age in the late nineties or before.

da3ley

I'm reading Becoming Bulletproof by Evy Pompouras, as well as The Black Phone by Joe Hill. Both are good ones.

Donna

Lips & hips & ass & sass
I'm reading Becoming Bulletproof by Evy Pompouras, as well as The Black Phone by Joe Hill. Both are good ones.
Are you a fan of Stephen King? If so, did you find the story of the Black Phone contained elements of a couple of King’s novels? Not surprising given that Hill is King’s son. I saw the trailer for the movie adaptation recently and it looks fairly creepy.

As for me, I just finished S. Cinders’ Witch Queens of Oz it was a very spicy retelling of Baum’s Wizard of Oz. Dorothy is definitely not the hero of this version, instead it focuses on the battle between Dorothy & the four witches of Oz, each representing East, West, North, & South. The heroine is Bastinda, the witch of the East, and her lover Scarecrow, who work together with her sisters & their men to rid Oz of evil Dorothy. It’s campy & fun, & did I mention smutty?

I’m hesitating starting anything heavy or lengthy because my ARC of Olivia Dade’s newest, Shipwrecked, is due in the mail any day & I’m anxious. I love everything Dade has ever written. It’s third in a series, so I’m sure characters I fell in love with from the first two books will make an appearance in this one. From the descriptions, this installment will differ from the first two, though, in that it features a BBW & a BHM MCs, instead of just a BBW & her traditionally hunky hero.

Last edited:

Latest posts