What’s your style?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Shh! Don’t tell!

What kind of clothes do you like to wear? And, if you’re plus sized, can you find things that are your style that fit? How did you develop your current style, etc, etc.

I wear a lot of black, not in a goth way, just in a casual way. Lots of black sweaters and jeans. I feel like that’s always comfortable and cute. I used to try and wear brighter colors and more “expressive” styles, but this is the most comfortable way for me to present myself, it just makes me feel good. i love vintage stuff too, like fifties and seventies type stuff, but usually it’s too pricy and hard to find. I enjoy it hypothetically but don’t actively seek it out.

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
I prefer shorts and flips. T-shirts. I hate shoes and don’t care for long pants. I was in shorts and flips into December here and started wearing them again in early March. If it’s cold I wear a hoodie sweater too. My wife and I call it “Colorado Casual” since that’s where we’re from. It’s common to dress that way there, but I guess not so much in Virginia where we live now. My boss asked me as I was coming into the office one morning, “aren’t your feet cold” and I said, “no these are my winter flip flops!”

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
When I was teaching, I wore a three-piece suit, white or pastel solid-color shirt, bow tie, and pocket watch on a chain. And a hat: panama in summer, homburg or fedora in winter. Now that I've retired, I've gone casual: sports shirt and chinos, with a v-neck sweater in fall and winter. And over-the-calf socks. An emergency-room nurse once asked me why I wore such long socks, and I replied: "To spare you the sight of six inches of white, hairy leg."

Tracyarts

I like boho clothes, lagenlook (loose, drapey layered linen and cotton garments), and just kind of quirky clothes in general. Lots of loose flowing thin fabrics, handmade, natural materials, batik, embroidery, earthy colors, vintage-y looks, shabby chic.

There are some independent designers and vendors who make clothes I like in my size and I occasionally get lucky with the big plus size companies. But I sew, knit, crochet, and make jewelry so I make a lot of my own clothes. I buy basic layering pieces wherever I can find them, and love to stalk Ebay for lucky used finds.

I've been starting to get into "slow fashion" and have been limiting my wardrobe building this year to mostly things I'm making.

McFeisty

As for my style, I typically wear stretchy pants and big, loose tops, size 2X or 3X (I do have some 5X tops, for really relaxed days). No short sleeves, must be at least to my elbows (to hide the 'wings' of my upper arms), and longer top lengths are better. Really bright colors if I can find them. Animal prints are fun. Fair amount of earth tones and black, too. Fave color purple, almost tied with green.

I am very short (never made it to 5 feet, 4' 10 3/4" now), so pant legs are always too long, unless I get capri length, and alterations are a drag. I actually have a couple of pairs of capri length jeans, for when I can tolerate non-stretchy pants.

I have the same problem with bras, Barbsjw, being DDD (I find DDD, but infrequently), but as I find 42 to be my best size, I can (luckily) buy 44DD and have the cup size be right (up a number, down a letter, sister sizes). DD seems easier to find, hope that helps you, though I think I've noticed 44 to be the biggest in 'regular' sizes, but maybe 46DD is available, too. The problem is then that the bra will become too loose, too soon, but I can remove the hook or eye piece (or both) to make the band size smaller, when I need to, with hand stitching, doesn't take too long.

Roomy blouses and skirts. Finding inexpensive bras and underwear is an ORDEAL (44DDD!/XXL). Being in Vermont, I LOVE flannel and wool!

Corey

Corey
I like casual, comfy and non-patterned stuff. Lots of black, lots of dark grey, and sometimes dark forest green to match my eyes. I have boots of every color and style (minus cowboy) and heel size. I’m pretty simple because I don’t have lots of time to consider an outfit with young kids. I typically dress up my outfit with jewelry. I also wear a lot of long cardigans because I get cold easily and they’re super comfy. But during the week, it’s yoga pants with a v-neck or Nike shorts with a v-neck. I have to dress like I’m ready and prepared to grapple my kids into compliance.

Shotha

DM Supporter
I wear check (plaid) or denim shirts, preferably with short sleeves, and denim shorts or jeans. I also like plain coloured T-shirts. It's all outdoor sort of gear. There are two local shops where I can find clothes that fit but, as I'm just graduating from 6XL to 7XL, it looks like mail order all the time from now on, but I already mail order a lot anyway. I like to dress up in theme for fancy dress occasions, which can be difficult at my size.

This is my usual sort of look in check shirt, T-shirt and denim shorts:
03.  New Shirt - Black and Turquoise - Profile.jpg

This is me in a T-shirt and denim shorts:
15.  I must wear red more often.  It makes me look so fat.jpg

And this is me dressed as a pirate:
14.  Arrrgh, now Silverbeard is startin' to feel fire in his belly.jpg

Billl

I wear jeans and a comfortable shirt and sweater when working at home. Tie and jacket when visiting clients. Sweats when just sitting around.

happily_married

I wear it quite often. I'm not going to pay over NZ$100 to mail order a costume from the US and then only wear it once. I actually belong to a pirate club. And it's good for fancy dress, when you can come as anything you choose.
if I had one of those dinosaur costumes I’d wear it everywhere. Which is one of the reasons my wife won’t let me get it. 😒

Funtastic curves

@Shotha i hope you’re wearing that pirate outfit on general business in/around town! 😄
I actually work with a man that dresses like a pirate everyday. Pirate hat, boots and scruffy looking....He even wears a long pirate coat with the bird attached to his shoulder. I kid you not.
Only thing i can't remember if he wears a eye patch.

Shotha

DM Supporter
I actually work with a man that dresses like a pirate everyday. Pirate hat, boots and scruffy looking....He even wears a long pirate coat with the bird attached to his shoulder. I kid you not.
Only thing i can't remember if he wears a eye patch.
Our pirate club was started up by an old guy, who is remarkably fit, athletic, gymnastic and acrobatic. We show up to public events to delight the children. Children love pirates. For example, we always help to carry the lanterns in our Chinese Lantern Festival, which got cancelled this year. We're very much part of public life.

happily_married

Our pirate club was started up by an old guy, who is remarkably fit, athletic, gymnastic and acrobatic. We show up to public events to delight the children. Children love pirates. For example, we always help to carry the lanterns in our Chinese Lantern Festival, which got cancelled this year. We're very much part of public life.
children love pirates? I’m knocking on 40’s door and I love pirates!