What are y'all planting this year?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by smithnwesson, Apr 24, 2014.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Feb 23, 2016 #101

nitewriter

nitewriter

nitewriter

With this being an election year, I hear a lot of Rumors being planted. looks like it will be a bumper crop.

2. Feb 29, 2016 #102

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

well, i did get my onion beds built. the onions are going in tomorrow. we had a couple of nights of cold weather here earlier this week, so i think that has passed for a bit. want to get them in tomorrow before the next round of rain moves in.

i am soaking my peas overnight tonight. they will go in my woodchip bed tomorrow with some chicken wire lattice for them to climb. i have to get those going before it gets too hot.

hoping everyone has a good night!

3. Feb 29, 2016 #103

martinnathalie92

martinnathalie92

martinnathalie92

Basil and Strawberry plants! I heard the two make a lovely cocktail combo....

4. Mar 1, 2016 #104

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

:) sounds like you will really enjoy the fruits of your labor

5. Mar 1, 2016 #105

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Luv, you are reminding me that this year I should plan ahead, instead of thinking in June what I should have planted. Probably another 11 weeks before I'd put anything in the ground, and I don't have a window sunny enough to really start things too early, but can at least get thinking.

And for my birthday I got some new tomato cages (well, a promise of them, they weren't in stock mid-winter), so at the very least I know I need to do my usual pots of tomato-thickets.

6. Mar 5, 2016 #106

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

hi tad! yeah! i am glad you are looking forward to planting things. home grown tomatoes are the best!

this is the frost date charts from farmer almanac.
    http://www.almanac.com/content/frost-chart-canada

it should give you an idea of what your last frost date is for your area. you will want to start your tomato seeds about a month ahead of time.

i don't recommend a window to grow seedlings. i learned that lesson the hard way. you can put them directly under a shop light and use that as a grow light. just keep it close to the plants to keep the stems strong. most of the time it is just an couple of inches above the plant.

since the days are nice here and we really only have to worry about the nights getting cold, i built a safety cage out of chicken wire and set mine outside on the porch during the day. the cage keeps the birds off my plants and they can grow up straight instead of reaching for window sun.

7. Mar 16, 2016 #107

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

been so busy now that the weather warmed up. have some alaska peas in the garden bed. they are up and out and a couple of inches tall now. i put up a chicken wire trellis for them to crawl up. hopefully they will stick around long enough to get some peas.

i put some bush beans in the garden bed already too. i think the birds got a couple of them, but i put a ton of them in there...so we will get enough if they come up.

i had a bunch of tomatoes seeded and outside on a shelf. the wind got them and blew them over just as they got their first little leaves. i saved as many as i could and ended up with 24 plants in their own little pots now. 2 or 3 look like they may not make it, but still have plenty for the garden. the hard part is that when they got knocked out of their pots they kinda fell everywhere. they were no longer in the pots that told me what kind they were...so not it will be plant them and see what comes up on each one. lol.

we planted 1 red potato in a pot just to see if we could get another potato to grow. the little one went to water it this morning and it has finally sprouted through the dirt. now i will just let it grow til it dies off and turn it over to see what we get.

i put hub's spinach in a makeshift raised bed made out of an inverted plastic shelving shelf. they are finally up and getting some real leaves on them. in about another week they should be big enough to pick some.

here's a pic of the potato. she was so proud she was the one to find out it had finally broken through. :)

View attachment 20160316_095349.jpg

8. Mar 16, 2016 #108

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

9. Apr 23, 2016 #109

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Shameless bump for a thread too good to disappear.

10. May 1, 2016 #110

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

my dear friend ho ho dropped a not so subtle hint ;) that i should post on this thread with an update...so here ya go!

my garden is in full swing. i have 21 indeterminate tomatoes in the wood chip bed. right now they are about a foot or so high and just getting their first set of flowers. by the end of summer they will be 7'+ high. my posts are only 7'..so if they get bigger than that they are on their own...lol.

i also have peas, zucchini, peppers and eggplant in there.

in separate raised beds i also have cukes and pole beans just starting to climb their trellis.

i have a few last minute things going in, but otherwise we are off to a strong start. we finally got a soaking rain last night into this morning. i threw epsom salt and coffee grounds in the garden beds before the rain, so they should have a good growth spurt coming on.

fyi..if anyone else on here gardens, starbucks is doing their free coffee ground give away this summer as well. just stop in any starbucks and ask for free coffee grounds for your garden beds. they are a great source of nitrogen for compost bins, great for worm bins (worms love coffee!) and roses love them too. you can even sprinkle them around plants that are prone to getting slugs. slugs don't like the acid or crunchy feeling of having to go over them.

hope everyone is growing something!

11. Jul 7, 2016 #111

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

I promise that this is the last time I bump this thread. I have nothing to add to it but do like to come back and read through it occasionally just for the sheer fun of it. I hope you do too.