What Are You Happy About Today? Part 3

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I'm on vacation this week :D (not going anywhere, but glad not to be working)

And it took a bit of the weekend, but I finished the first rough cut of something I've been trying to get out feedback at work for ages, and I think it came out fairly well.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
This is a bit of long story, but I had to share!

About five years ago, I volunteered at a city farm on Saturdays. There was a Very Bad Boy there called Billy, a little shetland pony who liked to bite, kick and cause general carnage. I was the only one who liked him, so on Saturdays, I did everything for Billy. Took him to his paddock, brought him in, brushed him, cleaned his feet etc. He actually never bit or kicked at me either, and we were really good friends.

Three or four years ago, the city farm sent Billy to another farm park that had more space for him. Sadly for me, the farm park he went to was in the middle of nowhere, with no public transport there, and I don't have anyone that can drive that far. So I figured I would never see Billy again. Then the other day, I was going to an event and what do I see but signposts advertising that farm park! Turns out the farm park was right nearby the place we were going! I convinced everyone to go so I could see Billy, but given that it had been four years and I only saw him once a week anyway, I figured he would have long forgotten about me.

I see his little self in the paddock and call his name, and my says she has never seen a little horse move so fast, hah! He came running over to me, gave me these soft little whinnies and asked me to pet him! He remembered me! After all this time! He also tried to bite my mum, so Billy is still Billy, hah! But yeah, I was so happy and touched I nearly cried! When I went to leave, he started pawing the ground and making sad little neighs so I had to go back and give him one more cuddle before I left. Due to the location of the farm park I'll probably never see him again, but he looked so happy in his new home and he remembered me! I felt so blessed for sure! Here's us together:

Billy2.jpg

Three cheers for Billy boy! <3

kyle

"Beam me here Scotty"
This is a bit of long story, but I had to share!

About five years ago, I volunteered at a city farm on Saturdays. There was a Very Bad Boy there called Billy, a little shetland pony who liked to bite, kick and cause general carnage. I was the only one who liked him, so on Saturdays, I did everything for Billy. Took him to his paddock, brought him in, brushed him, cleaned his feet etc. He actually never bit or kicked at me either, and we were really good friends.

Three or four years ago, the city farm sent Billy to another farm park that had more space for him. Sadly for me, the farm park he went to was in the middle of nowhere, with no public transport there, and I don't have anyone that can drive that far. So I figured I would never see Billy again. Then the other day, I was going to an event and what do I see but signposts advertising that farm park! Turns out the farm park was right nearby the place we were going! I convinced everyone to go so I could see Billy, but given that it had been four years and I only saw him once a week anyway, I figured he would have long forgotten about me.

I see his little self in the paddock and call his name, and my says she has never seen a little horse move so fast, hah! He came running over to me, gave me these soft little whinnies and asked me to pet him! He remembered me! After all this time! He also tried to bite my mum, so Billy is still Billy, hah! But yeah, I was so happy and touched I nearly cried! When I went to leave, he started pawing the ground and making sad little neighs so I had to go back and give him one more cuddle before I left. Due to the location of the farm park I'll probably never see him again, but he looked so happy in his new home and he remembered me! I felt so blessed for sure! Here's us together:

View attachment 151200

Three cheers for Billy boy! <3
Not for nothing, but you write well. (Trans: read your WHOLE story. Usually just skim ... except Donna's stuff - need a cig after reading her stuff ... LOL) Ever do anything more?

Last edited:

MickRidem

This summer I reconnected with a friend after 25 years. She still gives giant wonderful squishy hugs.

The TiCats beat the Argos in the last game with a punchy 4th qr, finally. 🤣 (I grew up in "The Hammer", it's a thing.)

Silver lining: my knee injury has forced me to slow down and I'm trying to learn from this. *meditates* 🙏

The above has allowed me to think about adding things back into my life like making art and writing etc.

Realized how much I'm thriving living by myself- seeing to tasks, self-motivating to take care of all my responsibilities, doing what needs to be done, day after day, month after month, since the terrible isolation that was the pandemic of 2020 for me and so many others. Also, sold a pair of sunglasses on eBay! And went to the movies by myself Friday and had a wonderful time. Life is good.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
It is cool all the ways that we touch the world :)

(PS. I also appreciate that pic of you and Billy, nice to see you just out in the world rather than in a more planned picture)

Thank you Tad! There's actually another picture taken a few minutes later where I'm clearly in the middle of making an 'ooo' sound in conversation and my face looks hilarious. 😂

Not for nothing, but you write well. (Trans: read your WHOLE story. Usually just skim ... except Donna's stuff - need a cig after reading her stuff ... LOL) Ever do anything more?

Ah, thank you, that means a lot! I actually do write sometimes, though not really anything that would appeal to a Dims audience. But thank you! 😊

Reactions: Tad

Donna

Definitely NOT Jolly
This summer I reconnected with a friend after 25 years. She still gives giant wonderful squishy hugs.

The TiCats beat the Argos in the last game with a punchy 4th qr, finally. 🤣 (I grew up in "The Hammer", it's a thing.)

Silver lining: my knee injury has forced me to slow down and I'm trying to learn from this. *meditates* 🙏

The above has allowed me to think about adding things back into my life like making art and writing etc.
DO IT! I was encouraged this year to indulge my creative side, and it has been the best thing for my mental health. Thousand times better than any therapy or medication on the planet.

MickRidem

DO IT! I was encouraged this year to indulge my creative side, and it has been the best thing for my mental health. Thousand times better than any therapy or medication on the planet.

I am a published author (under a different name 🤣👍) and have had art in galleries. I think when you mix the business side with the creative it changes your feelings towards your work's purpose sometimes. The shutdown affected business levels everywhere, and I stopped everything. The joy and drive was gone. What I NEED is to reject the drive and business end for a while and seek out the joy of it again. ❤️ And thank you for your encouragement!! 😁👍

I also have a therapist, and all of it together do me well. 😁

kyle

"Beam me here Scotty"
Keep going brother.

Just tried to publish my first work ... So far, fell flat on its face. :(

Got a couple, three more I'm working on ... Skills are getting better.

Just keep plugging away

MickRidem

Keep going brother.

Just tried to publish my first work ... So far, fell flat on its face. :(

Got a couple, three more I'm working on ... Skills are getting better.

Just keep plugging away
Short stories? That's where I started. I generally had MANY rejections before a sale. A writing group helped a lot to fine tune my work, too. Good luck!

Latest posts