What are you happy about today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MsBrightside

One of the awesome things about being a parent is seeing your kid discover new that they love—doubly so when you it surprises you as much as them.

Ottawa’s annual Bluesfest provides ten days of music, a short bike ride from where we live. Despite the name the main headliners are big name rock, pop, and country stars (this year it included The Killers, Lady GaGa, and Lady Antebellum, amongst others), and the next tier down is heavy on alt rock and Canadian rock acts. Then, here and there, mostly at the smaller stages, they have some actual Blues acts, as well as some other random acts of various styles. It is that second tier of bands that often prompts us to buy passes--we’ll catch a couple of headliners we like, a bunch of the bands that we normally listen to in that next tier, and then then we’ll randomly catch a few other acts before, after, or in-between those.

Yesterday was the last day (thankfully—I need sleep!), and we had ninety minutes to kill between ‘Said the Whale’ and ‘Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker’ (USS), and reading through the descriptions of the acts I saw that an old school New Orleans Blues guy was playing at the one indoor stage at the festival*. Sitting in real chairs for a bit sounded good, so we went in to watch him and his band.

My wife and I were blown away at the skill of the musicians. These are guys who have been playing this stuff for fifty years I’d guess, and were just sublime.

My teenager, on the other hand, fell in love. He came out shaking his head and muttering “That…..that’s REAL music. It’s just so, so,…..wow.” Not that he didn’t enjoy USS partying it up shortly afterwards, but clearly something in that New Orlean’s blues struck a chord with him. What we do to follow up on that, I don’t know, but as a parent it was just super fun to see that.

* The festival is on the grounds around the Canadian War Museum, and they also use the small (200 seat?) auditorium in the museum as their fifth stage. It is a pretty good arrangement.

It IS cool to see your child developing a real interest in something that deserves to be appreciated. :cool: I don't pretend to know much about blues music, but when I lived in St. Louis, I used to enjoy listening to their public radio station KDHX, which has several blues programs. My favorite, "Nothin' but the Blues" hosted by Ron Edwards is still on the air, and his playlist is accessible online http://kdhx.org/play/radio-shows/nothin-but-the-blues, if you think your son might be interested in learning more about the genre. Ron Edwards plays blues music from all over, not just New Orleans, and sometimes he even plays really old scratchy recordings from the 20's, while it sounds like your son is more interested in electric blues, but I think he gives his listeners a pretty good feel for the history of the music.

Also, I don't know if your city has anything like this, but St. Louis has a music shop called Vintage Vinyl that has a fairly large collection of new and used music (CDs as well as vinyl), and they have a decent blues selection. Even if you don't find what you're looking for, I think many teens would enjoy browsing around a place like that.

I'm jealous if you got to see The Killers. :p My username is a reference to one of their songs, and I would like to add a quote from one of their songs as a signature when I accumulate enough posts.

Librarygirl

More progress with packing to move and a fun Half hour when I found my guitar and music (maybe less fun for any neighbours who may have heard this!). And someone thinking I know more than I do. I get so annoyed with the opposite situation, it will almost be worth the extra work learning about this topic to show that I can. Glad some people respect me! Also the big training event I had to organise at work went surprisingly well - a group of 16-83 yr old volunteers got amazingly into the quiz I wrote!

Sasquatch!

A wild loser appeared!
More progress with packing to move and a fun Half hour when I found my guitar and music (maybe less fun for any neighbours who may have heard this!). And someone thinking I know more than I do. I get so annoyed with the opposite situation, it will almost be worth the extra work learning about this topic to show that I can. Glad some people respect me! Also the big training event I had to organise at work went surprisingly well - a group of 16-83 yr old volunteers got amazingly into the quiz I wrote!

Is it a group of indeterminate size consisting of volunteers between the ages of 16 and 83, or is it a 16-strong group of 83 year old volunteers?

Either is odd. :eek:

Librarygirl

Haha! A group of 30 to be precise- though the vast majority were closer to the 83 end of the scale! They got v excited drawing pics and answering the questions though. It may have been all the coffee and cake I plied them with beforehand in an epic 30 min tea break!

ODFFA

My neighbourhood watch group on facebook just posted this table of our crime statistics since they put up CCTV cameras in the area.

View attachment 10534541_10153962822736515_8059492079304111587_n.jpg

Would have liked to see the whole of July, but this is still one of the best pieces of news I've gotten this year. So much relief is being felt right now.

ETA: April does have a bunch of public holidays and/or long weekends, though. But I'm still stoked.

lille

I got accepted for internship position in the Art Therapy department of a child/adolescent psychiatric hospital! It will be challenging work but an amazing learning experience.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I'm going on holiday tomorrow! The Isle of Skye beckons and I am so glad to be going back, I can't believe it has been 8 years since I last went there! I get to fulfil two of my goals in life as well, which were to take my dog Luna to the Isle of Skye and to let her see a beach and an ocean! We're going to go whale watching and shell picking and the main event is the unveiling of the Skye Terrier statue on the Isle, which is being done by the Princess Royal! All very exciting!

lille

I'm going on holiday tomorrow! The Isle of Skye beckons and I am so glad to be going back, I can't believe it has been 8 years since I last went there! I get to fulfil two of my goals in life as well, which were to take my dog Luna to the Isle of Skye and to let her see a beach and an ocean! We're going to go whale watching and shell picking and the main event is the unveiling of the Skye Terrier statue on the Isle, which is being done by the Princess Royal! All very exciting!

That sounds awesome! I hope you have a blast.

Saisha

Delphinum natare doces
I got accepted for internship position in the Art Therapy department of a child/adolescent psychiatric hospital! It will be challenging work but an amazing learning experience.

Congratulations to you :) You'll be fantastic at it!

How wonderful and exciting for you both! Hope you're able to take some photos you'd like to share!

MsBrightside

Congrats, lille :). As an intern you may not get a lot of chances to implement your own ideas, and this may not be suitable for the group of kids you'll be working with, but I used to work in a government building in Washington, DC that mostly had generic, institutional artwork on its walls until someone decided to put up a temporary exhibit at the entrance that I loved. A local artist had kids, ages about 8-11, copy famous paintings in their own hand, and the results were wonderful! Beautiful renderings of Van Gogh's sunflowers and Monet's water lilies, but my favorite were the child versions of "Lady with an Ermine"--they always made me smile.

Take me with you!

Six days of antibiotics and this upper respiratory crap is finally starting to hit the bricks.

Great! Now you can enjoy breathing in that vaporized water that passes for air right now in the Houston area ;)

lille

Congrats, lille :). As an intern you may not get a lot of chances to implement your own ideas, and this may not be suitable for the group of kids you'll be working with, but I used to work in a government building in Washington, DC that mostly had generic, institutional artwork on its walls until someone decided to put up a temporary exhibit at the entrance that I loved. A local artist had kids, ages about 8-11, copy famous paintings in their own hand, and the results were wonderful! Beautiful renderings of Van Gogh's sunflowers and Monet's water lilies, but my favorite were the child versions of "Lady with an Ermine"--they always made me smile.
I'm lucky, eventually I'll be running my own art therapy groups and they're super open to new idea. Right now the hospital has a tape artist that comes in and helps the kids create tape murals on the walls of the unit. They had the kids create the decorations for tables for a conference on self harm. One group of kids made leaves with coping skills and positive quotes on them to go on mini trees and another group decorated the pots.

MsBrightside

I'm lucky, eventually I'll be running my own art therapy groups and they're super open to new idea. Right now the hospital has a tape artist that comes in and helps the kids create tape murals on the walls of the unit. They had the kids create the decorations for tables for a conference on self harm. One group of kids made leaves with coping skills and positive quotes on them to go on mini trees and another group decorated the pots.

Sounds interesting but also heartrending. I admire you for having the emotional fortitude to do this kind of work.

I'm picturing equal parts adorable, hilarious and disturbing. :D

Lol--you nailed it with this description!

LeoGibson

Happy
Went today and did my TSA background check so I can add Hazardous Materials to my license. So in 2-4 weeks I can throw my lot in with Big Oil and go double my salary. Keep drilling and fracking, daddy needs a new pair of shoes!