What are you happy about today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Rojodi

Listening to two groups - 4 older women and 5 male students - discussing the UTexas /UConn women's game that happened earlier down the road at the Times Union Center in Albany.

The women are schooling the boys on the finer points of the game LOL

forp1940

Give the people what they want, love and fun. Let us know if/when you get approached by your chubby, bearded, prince.:smitten:;)
I got my chubby bearded guy! He has a goatee but hey facial hair is facial hair. Had absolutely nothing to do with my sweatshirt but nonetheless. :smitten:

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
We need a thumbs-up icon in 57 point font size to properly respond to this news.

Since we don't have that , suffice it to say that I'm a little happy for you. And for your company, who just got a fantastic new manager.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Actually, it was last night but...

I misplaced my folding bluetooth keyboard a while back, but didn't realize it until yesterday. This is a gadget that went out of production several years ago -- in fact, it was for Palm handheld devices (for you youngsters, those were like phoneless iPhones) -- so it's difficult to replace.

Last night I went to Denny's, as I often do, and it turned out I'd left it at the table a week earlier and they'd held onto it for me. Cool! (Yeah, I'm there often enough that they know me...)

In the meantime (thinking it was gone for good) I got what seems to be the only folding bluetooth keyboard anyone makes anymore. While it's not as good in some ways, it's better in others.

The old one:

The new one:
Zagg Pocket Foldable Keyboard

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
CB, I don't feel like phones have caught up with some of the functionality of the Palm Pilot and its peers, even yet. Way more powerful in lots of ways, but ease of using business applications, meh, maybe I've just not used the right device/app.

Anyway, glad you found your keyboard!

As for me, I'm happy that it is a long weekend, even if Good Friday is a somewhat somber day.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
CB, I don't feel like phones have caught up with some of the functionality of the Palm Pilot and its peers, even yet. Way more powerful in lots of ways, but ease of using business applications, meh, maybe I've just not used the right device/app.

Anyway, glad you found your keyboard!

As for me, I'm happy that it is a long weekend, even if Good Friday is a somewhat somber day.
Most of the problem is that despite being portable computers, that's neither what they're being sold as or how the vendors intend for them to be used. What they are being sold as is to be content-delivery platforms -- something that runs apps they can sell you, or stores the music you buy from them, or plays the movies you rent from them. Yeah, they'll do email, text messages, or handle documents and spreadsheets -- even kind of handle calendars and notes (sort of). But where's the money in that, and who'd use it?

The old handhelds were built to enhance productivity and sold as computer hardware, based on their capabilities. Now, they're sold as media players and such, with the productivity capabilities either an afterthought or an excuse to put them on corporate expense accounts. It's sort of coming around a bit, what with add-on credit card scanners and such -- but it's still mostly leveraging devices that were bought for other purposes. People don't go and buy an iPhone 6 so they can drive for an internet gypsy-cab company, the company assumes they already have such a phone for their personal use already.

For what it's worth, Polaris Office is a tolerable text editor that handles *.docx / *.xlsx / *.pptx files, though sometimes formatting gets lost in translation. I won't quite call it a word processor, because it isn't really. Hancom Office is supposed to be better, but I haven't tried it.

There is a mostly-complete port of OpenOffice to Android (AndrOpenOffice), and it does handle MS file formats pretty well (and if you're ok with staying with Oo.org/LibreOffice file formats, it's pretty much the same program as the desktop version so there aren't conversion errors). I wish the guy doing the port had started with LibreOffice instead, but that's the breaks.

Have a reflective and insightful Good Friday!

LeoGibson

Happy
Got pulled aside last week by the VP of the company I work for and she told me there'd be a management position opening up. I got offered the job today after a very scary interview.
Scary you say? Then you must have knocked them dead!!

Congratulations Hozay. You earned it and you'll do awesome I'm sure.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Friday morning is supposed to be above freezing, and Friday afternoon the temperature is supposed to hit double digits (degrees C – aka ‘above 50F’ in an alternate universe that clings to arbitrary and outdated measuring systems).

And more critically, both of those lovely pieces of forecast stay in the forecast as far as the forecast reaches…. No more freezing, lots of shirt-sleeve weather…..dare we dream that Spring is finally going to arrive?

Aust99

Going camping with my dogs tomorrow (and a mate).... Can't wait to be out in the bush relaxing.

KingBuu

Happy that I'm happy alone and don't have to worry about looking for someone. :)

tankyguy

The ground is still not clear of snow. The late start to Spring has been brutal on the local wildlife and there's been a large number of birds in danger of starving.

So this morning I set up two feeders at each end of our field and the place was packed with hungry robins, starlings and jays who are now happily chirping. All day people driving by were stopping to take pictures on their phones.

lille

In two weeks, I'll be done with classes, in 19 days I will turn in my final assignment for my MA, at the end of May I will finish up my internship, and in June I will graduate. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Found an independent electronics parts store that's probably been in its current location (fairly close by) since at least the mid-1970s, and they had exactly the parts I needed for a small project/gadget I'm working on. Don't think I'd have found all of them at a Radio Shack, if they still existed.

Kid in a candy store time here. :)

Latest posts