What are you happy about today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
A microwave oven isn't a real oven!!

I have a toaster and an oven, thats it. I crave a microwave like...once a year, but people ask me how i can live without one. Even with a toaster, i usually use the oven.

----

Ran my dog in agility today and was finally able to figure out my chin/eye tilt to prevent him turning into me. Yay for small successes!!

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
There is life without toasting??? :eek:

One can exist without an oven??? :confused:

This is very difficult to believe....
I do have a regular oven, which I use for toasting. I rarely buy sliced bread, so a standard toaster wouldn't do me much good anyhow.

As far as microwaves, I just have no need and dislike them for almost every purpose.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
As far as microwaves, I just have no need and dislike them for almost every purpose.
As far as I'm concerned, the only thing a microwave is good for is reheating coffee. And around here coffee doesn't last long enough to need reheating.

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
I'm getting the chance to meet an old Dimmer in a couple of weeks and I'm pretty stoked about it. Also traveling for work to Oklahoma City and Portland this month. Life is...good.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
If you don't like microwaves, how do you reheat food, guys? Most of my food is made in advance and reheated so I need a microwave.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
If you don't like microwaves, how do you reheat food, guys? Most of my food is made in advance and reheated so I need a microwave.
If I have to heat food I do it stovetop or oven, depending on what it is. I heard microwaves are very good for something called... um... "leftovers". I've no experience with those so I could not speak to that aspect.

Current aeropress recipe!
-add 3 scoops finely ground dark roast (espresso grind)
-fill with 174 F /79 C water, stir for 10 seconds, press at a steady pace for 20 seconds or so making sure not to squeeze the grounds completely dry
-this produces about half a mug full of very strong and smooth coffee, pretty much like espresso although lower in temperature. The short extraction time and not overly squeezing the grinds seems to extract less tannins

I like to take this and add fully boiling water (as in an americano) and milk, 174 is a great extraction temperature but is colder than I like to drink very soon, the boiling water fixes that as well as making it a normal (though still very strong) coffee. Probably what I enjoy most about all these brewing options is that I get to make more firm decisions while brewing my morning coffee than I will probably commit to making for the rest of the day.:doh:

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Not really. Leftovers tend to be boring, so I turn them into something else: fried rice, refried beans, chili mac ... Some of my favorite dishes started as humble leftovers. :)

"The subtle alchemist, that in a trice
Life's leaden metal into gold transmute."
--Omar Khayyam

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
I do have a regular oven,
Okay - that I can understand.

I don't see much point in pure microwaves either, I think the range of use is rather limited to heating; cooking in it gets weird results. My kitchen actually has 2 ovens: a regular large built in one with 3-way heat and a small convection one which also has a microwave function.

And I'm admittedly a toast junkie - I also never buy sliced bread, but in loaves, mainly dark bread. But if it's over a day old, I'll toast the slices - simply love that taste.

Life is...good.
May it stay that way - happy 2016 Hozay!

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
If I have to heat food I do it stovetop or oven, depending on what it is. I heard microwaves are very good for something called... um... "leftovers". I've no experience with those so I could not speak to that aspect.
Haha, I guess I need to practice eating entire meals at once then! =p

Not really. Leftovers tend to be boring, so I turn them into something else: fried rice, refried beans, chili mac ... Some of my favorite dishes started as humble leftovers. :)
I... I only know what one of those things is. I'm not a good cook, to be honest if I make something I have no idea how to turn it into something else, outside of magic.

Okay - that I can understand.

I don't see much point in pure microwaves either, I think the range of use is rather limited to heating; cooking in it gets weird results. My kitchen actually has 2 ovens: a regular large built in one with 3-way heat and a small convection one which also has a microwave function.

And I'm admittedly a toast junkie - I also never buy sliced bread, but in loaves, mainly dark bread. But if it's over a day old, I'll toast the slices - simply love that taste.
Wait, what? Ovens can microwave things?! Waaaaah?

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Wait, what? Ovens can microwave things?! Waaaaah?
Absolutely - I've had one ever since I moved into my first student apartment an eon ago. (The oven there was crap - and as stated, I did not plan on trying to survive without an oven).

They're perfect for a single household, will even bake cakes, but also simply heat & toast left-overs or do nice, small oven vegetables casseroles.

Imo a must for your new apartment - and you can always take it with you wherever you move. No installation fuss - just put it on the counter next to an electric socket - finito!

This is the amazon.co.uk link to the successor of the model I currently have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MUZ3VI6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

From my point of view - a very good investment.

Last edited by a moderator:

x0emnem0x

Words.
Spend a whole 24+ hours with Jon and we came nowhere near killing each other. I'd say that a very good plus for future relationship expectations. We are low maintenance, so we're not easy to please, and I'm happy as long as he is around haha. He spend the night last night and we spent all day with each other. It was great. Definitely much needed.

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
Had my first ever First-Class flight. That shit is ridiculous. I'm very happy with my life, and I remind myself regularly of how well I have it, but then shit like this happens and I don't even know what to think. I was also interviewed by the wall street journal. My life is weird.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Had my first ever First-Class flight. That shit is ridiculous. I'm very happy with my life, and I remind myself regularly of how well I have it, but then shit like this happens and I don't even know what to think. I was also interviewed by the wall street journal. My life is weird.
Congratulations Hozay - that's called climbing the career ladder and getting ahead in life. WSJ is a good address for business journalism - you can be proud of yourself.

biglynch

http://www.facebook.com/#!/aiden.j.lynch,
So I had to get out of the pig of a job I had, but all else is good. Got a nice new job on the which looks like its got prospects. Also I'm all booked up for Vegas in July. 4th - 12, don't get there till 8pm but I get to go and see some 4th July parties.

Again if anyone wants to meet up and have some fun let me know.

Also I am loving life with the lady, she's been incredible. Need to save some extra cash and make her a lifetime fixture.

Hows everyone been, I have missed a lot of time here?

Group builder