What are you happy about today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

rellis10

tuh-maw-tow
Good luck!!

---

New, nice computer chairs for me and the hub just shipped...woot!!
Fingers crossed Rick! 🤞🏽🤞🏽
Thanks ladies, and those who wished me well in rep. I've been told shortlisting is happening mid-late this week so I have probably a few days longer of nail biting to find out if I have an interview.

On a positive note, I'm unbelievably hyped for this Sunday. I'm getting to go to the finals day of a WWE tournament to crown their first EVER United Kingdom Champion. To a non-wresting fan that sounds like meh, but for me this is groundbreaking night and a moment of legitimate wrestling history that's about to be made... and I'm going to be there!

I couldn't be more excited about a wrestling show in my home country than I am right now.

Tad

mostly harmless
Son passed his first term of university (there was a bit of concern due to a very weird calculus exam that made it hard to know how he'd done), and his second term profs are all looking pretty clear and well organized. As a parent it is hard when you mostly have to stand to the side while inside you are screaming 'he really doesn't have the emotional maturity / life skills to handle this as well as he should!' (He has mild Asperger's, emotional maturity and life skills are far harder for him than any academic subject)

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
Son passed his first term of university (there was a bit of concern due to a very weird calculus exam that made it hard to know how he'd done), and his second term profs are all looking pretty clear and well organized. As a parent it is hard when you mostly have to stand to the side while inside you are screaming 'he really doesn't have the emotional maturity / life skills to handle this as well as he should!' (He has mild Asperger's, emotional maturity and life skills are far harder for him than any academic subject)
Good for him!

rellis10

tuh-maw-tow
That's great! Not that I have experience but it must be seriously tough as a parent to try and stand back and allow him to rise and fall by his own merit, especially with the added difficulty of Aspergers. I'm really happy for him to be kicking Uni's butt :)

Tad

mostly harmless
That's great! Not that I have experience but it must be seriously tough as a parent to try and stand back and allow him to rise and fall by his own merit, especially with the added difficulty of Aspergers. I'm really happy for him to be kicking Uni's butt :)
I don't know about kicking its butt, but at least rolling with its punches. Apparently the tutorial rooms for his Physics class are up in the air because they still don't know how many students are actually in the class -- the calculus class was a pre-requisite, the marks only came out two days before classes started, and therefore there are a lot of kids who were side-swiped by the exam who are trying to figure out if they really have to drop the physics or not, can they get an exemption based on a screwy exam, etc. (seriously, I had some weird exams in my student days, but nothing like that Calc one. Son talked to one kid who said he walked into the final with 92%, and ended up with a D-).

ODFFA

I don't know about kicking its butt, but at least rolling with its punches. Apparently the tutorial rooms for his Physics class are up in the air because they still don't know how many students are actually in the class -- the calculus class was a pre-requisite, the marks only came out two days before classes started, and therefore there are a lot of kids who were side-swiped by the exam who are trying to figure out if they really have to drop the physics or not, can they get an exemption based on a screwy exam, etc. (seriously, I had some weird exams in my student days, but nothing like that Calc one. Son talked to one kid who said he walked into the final with 92%, and ended up with a D-).
Damn. I'm so happy Son passed, though, and especially that this semester is looking up. Professors who like clarity and structure can make a huge difference when life skills + emotion regulation are areas of difficulty.

It's often hard for a neurotypical stranger to grasp certain struggles that seem kind of trivial to most people. So, to a person with an invisible disability, assertiveness and self-acceptance are so important. I'm sure having your empathy and encouragement is a huge boost to him.

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Grats Tad!

---

iPhone was 3 days past warranty but the cute chubby guy who took my winked and said he'd make it happen for me.

Now I have a new iPhone, and I got to ogle his chubby belly pressing up against the table the whole time.

Reactions: Tad

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Also, geek in me is just absolutely a pile of squeeing goo at the new beauty and the beast trailers. The audio makes every hair on my body rise up in anticipation. sooooo exciitteeedddddd

ODFFA

Also, geek in me is just absolutely a pile of squeeing goo at the new beauty and the beast trailers. The audio makes every hair on my body rise up in anticipation. sooooo exciitteeedddddd
I'm ridiculously excited for this, too! Feisty as hell Hermione-Belle? Yes, thank you. I'll take one of those.

I'm happy for friends who have my back. :)
There's nothin' quite like it. And you very much deserve these kinds of friends.

--------------------
This post comes to you in the form of a very tentative happy, a probably-too-lengthy family update, and a consequent request for prayers, thoughts, vibes, etc:

Yesterday was a day of enormous vindication and hope for me. My therapist insisted on having my mom come along to discuss my dad's alcoholism and roadside panic attacks. With my mom's help, we could figure out the raw facts in terms of how much he drinks, etc. She got a huuuuuuuge wake-up call. I wasn't shocked.

As expected, she took her shock out on me afterwards, by cataloguing all my flaws and the things (I already know) I have to work on / take responsibility for. She has a very aggressive personality, and also made a veiled threat about how there's probably going to be more conflict in the family now (with a side dish of guilt because I dared play the whistleblower). I managed to remain assertive while owning up to my own shit, and she got the picture that she couldn't just clutch onto her denial by making me the scapegoat. Not anymore.

The outcome of all this: my dad has reluctantly agreed to check into a detox clinic some time around the end of this week. I still want to see if this materialises, but we've never been so close. He is still in denial of the extent of his problem. All he'll admit is that he "drinks too much." He can't say the A-word, and doesn't reeeeeeally believe that he's physically dependent on alcohol / absolutely cannot and should not try to quit on his own.

These days ahead are going to test my boundaries and assertiveness like never before. And I'll be honest, I've only recently gotten a firm grasp on these skills. Meekness and evasion serve mighty well when you have 2 very aggressive parents. If anyone would like to keep us in their thoughts, prayers, incantations...I will be so appreciative. I am in no position to wave away even the tiniest gesture of kindness.

Tad

mostly harmless
Wishing you buckets and buckets of extra-strength -- although I think you already have swimming pools of the stuff hiding under the surface, to have held onto your identity so well in the circumstances in which you've been living.

But best wishes also for your parents who will hopefully make some strides in how they deal with life.

Tad

mostly harmless
Wishing you buckets and buckets of extra-strength -- although I think you already have swimming pools of the stuff hiding under the surface, to have held onto your identity so well in the circumstances in which you've been living.

But best wishes also for your parents who will hopefully make some strides in how they deal with life.

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Standing up can be frightening and exhausting - as can dealing with the emotions that others fling at you as a result. It sounds like you are doing amazing, and you deserve all the kudos for it!

FIngers crossed!~

LeoGibson

Happy
This post comes to you in the form of a very tentative happy, a probably-too-lengthy family update, and a consequent request for prayers, thoughts, vibes, etc:

Yesterday was a day of enormous vindication and hope for me. My therapist insisted on having my mom come along to discuss my dad's alcoholism and roadside panic attacks. With my mom's help, we could figure out the raw facts in terms of how much he drinks, etc. She got a huuuuuuuge wake-up call. I wasn't shocked.

As expected, she took her shock out on me afterwards, by cataloguing all my flaws and the things (I already know) I have to work on / take responsibility for. She has a very aggressive personality, and also made a veiled threat about how there's probably going to be more conflict in the family now (with a side dish of guilt because I dared play the whistleblower). I managed to remain assertive while owning up to my own shit, and she got the picture that she couldn't just clutch onto her denial by making me the scapegoat. Not anymore.

The outcome of all this: my dad has reluctantly agreed to check into a detox clinic some time around the end of this week. I still want to see if this materialises, but we've never been so close. He is still in denial of the extent of his problem. All he'll admit is that he "drinks too much." He can't say the A-word, and doesn't reeeeeeally believe that he's physically dependent on alcohol / absolutely cannot and should not try to quit on his own.

These days ahead are going to test my boundaries and assertiveness like never before. And I'll be honest, I've only recently gotten a firm grasp on these skills. Meekness and evasion serve mighty well when you have 2 very aggressive parents. If anyone would like to keep us in their thoughts, prayers, incantations...I will be so appreciative. I am in no position to wave away even the tiniest gesture of kindness.

Give it hell!! You CAN do this.:bow:

rellis10

tuh-maw-tow

I'm so proud of you. You know you and your family are in my thoughts and I'm wishing you all the best for however long it takes.

Dromond

Old school
https://www.facebook.com/john.m.pedigo, M

You've taken a huge step, and the courage you showed in taking that step is pretty amazing. You've got this.

ODFFA

Thank you all so, so much (and to the reppers) :wubu:

Your kind words will be amazing reminders to look back on in tough times. Things are still chugging along well so far. We're waiting to hear from the clinic about a check-in date. Everyone is still on board.

danielson123

Seasick Sailorboy
Thanks ladies, and those who wished me well in rep. I've been told shortlisting is happening mid-late this week so I have probably a few days longer of nail biting to find out if I have an interview.

On a positive note, I'm unbelievably hyped for this Sunday. I'm getting to go to the finals day of a WWE tournament to crown their first EVER United Kingdom Champion. To a non-wresting fan that sounds like meh, but for me this is groundbreaking night and a moment of legitimate wrestling history that's about to be made... and I'm going to be there!

I couldn't be more excited about a wrestling show in my home country than I am right now.
Rick, I hope you get that job because you definitely deserve it. Also I'll be watching for you on Sunday!

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
I have a weird body shape and today i found 2 blazers and 2 leather jackets that look really nice on me!

I don't look like i am wearing a potato sack, it closes around my boobs, and isn'5 taut as hell across the shoulders. Nor do i have gobs and gobs of material bunching up in my lower back!

Reactions: Tad
Group builder