What are you happy about today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I'm sorry my dear Canadian friend I won't call you an American ever again :p
The Canada/US relationship is subtle and complicated. Many Americans who plan to travel abroad take along a t-shirt with a maple leaf on it so they can pretend to be Canadian if it should become necessary. The US is not universally beloved (the price of empire, eh?) and it is probably easier for an American to pass for a Canadian than, say, a New Zealander. :)

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Done first year university. Bottle of champaign tonight, steak dinner tomorrow, and treated my dogs to cooling coats for the summer.

Also happy that I am managing to learn as an adult with none of the learning/retention issues people claimed - perhaps because i never allowed my brain to turn off/have a better mental framework to apply new knowledge to. Have to say, i am thrilled i chose psyc instead of business. Already have my bus degree, so this is teaching me new and interesting things that I am loving!

AmandaLynn

cake, lots & lots of cake
Done first year university. Bottle of champaign tonight, steak dinner tomorrow, and treated my dogs to cooling coats for the summer.

Also happy that I am managing to learn as an adult with none of the learning/retention issues people claimed - perhaps because i never allowed my brain to turn off/have a better mental framework to apply new knowledge to. Have to say, i am thrilled i chose psyc instead of business. Already have my bus degree, so this is teaching me new and interesting things that I am loving!
Congrats!!!

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer

That is fantastic! Glad you are enjoying the classes while kicking their butts :)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
This is happening in town over the next while -- I'm fully planning on heading downtown to geek out. Multiple times. (Because giant robot dragon and spider are for more exciting to me than most of what has been going on for Canada 150)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
This is happening in town over the next while -- I'm fully planning on heading downtown to geek out. Multiple times. (Because giant robot dragon and spider are for more exciting to me than most of what has been going on for Canada 150)
We went downtown yesterday evening to catch the kick-off of things. Grabbed some take out burgers and ate them at city hall while keeping an eye on the 'sleeping' dragon (it snores), then walked up to the Byward Market area to see the spider descend from its perch on Notre Dame Basilica.

The crowds were crazy on Sussex Drive (these shenanigans are resulting in all sorts of road closures -- so there were no cars to worry about, just all the peoples), so we cut over to a network of alleys and courtyards that parallel to Sussex which were far quieter, and got fairly close to the side of the Basilica before we hit crowds again. From there we could see the spider's legs sticking out front and back of the spires. Then we realized we were right beside the patio of a dessert oriented restaurant, and that the patio was remarkably empty -- the tables were mostly still dirty, so our guess is some people had come down to eat, then gone and joined the crowd just before we got there.

So we cleared off and claimed the table with the best view, and sat in comfort, eating dessert and sipping spiked coffee while the whole show of its descent took place. It was so much more pleasant than standing in a packed crowd, and it was actually kind of a cool view :)

On the way home we biked past where the dragon's wings are awaiting it (on the lawn of the Supreme Court -- remarkably we could walk right up to them with no security in the way), and then past the dragon's 'shrine' on the lawn of the War Museum (which was cordoned off).

I'm looking forward to getting back downtown over the course of the weekend to catch some more of the machine choreography :D

ETA: the spider that you see to the left of the picture is Bon Mama, a permanent installation in front of the National Art Gallery. I'm sure it is not an accident that the current arachnid visitor started its story nearby.

ETA2: This event is a little popular -- look at the crowds that were on during the middle of the day on Friday!

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
1- We went to a bunch of the La Machine events I talked about in the post above, and had a good time. It felt like the whole city was talking about 'have you gone? Which events? How about those crowds? I liked it so much more than I thought I would!'

2- Second day in a row of biking to work, and the ride this morning went really well (it is about 19.5km each way, which is more than I've been biking in a loonnng time). Really happy that my legs have been coming back this well. Will see how I do on the way home tonight.

3- This much biking has my appetite in overdrive. Had a huge dinner last night, it felt great to eat that much from pure hunger :eat1: but also enjoying that much really good food (first sweet corn of the year, finally!)

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
1- We went to a bunch of the La Machine events I talked about in the post above, and had a good time. It felt like the whole city was talking about 'have you gone? Which events? How about those crowds? I liked it so much more than I thought I would!'

2- Second day in a row of biking to work, and the ride this morning went really well (it is about 19.5km each way, which is more than I've been biking in a loonnng time). Really happy that my legs have been coming back this well. Will see how I do on the way home tonight.

3- This much biking has my appetite in overdrive. Had a huge dinner last night, it felt great to eat that much from pure hunger :eat1: but also enjoying that much really good food (first sweet corn of the year, finally!)
Really happy that things are working out for you with the new job (and everything else).

Also happy that the bf sent me some noodz at work. Hehe. HE'S SO CUTE. :wubu:

Reactions: Tad

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Not as good of a pic, but here you can see the dragon (Long Ma, on the left) confronting his foe, the spider Kumo (on the right, rearing up). There was a whole story line involving the two of them, that played out over about four nights and three days, with various events, confrontations, and walk-abouts.

View attachment D&S-1.jpg

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Agouderia: lots of steel, some wood on the surface I think. They are made by a French company, who first had them over in China (hence the somewhat chinese names, I suppose). You can read a bit more here, just scroll well down the page to get to information about the 'beasts' and the company behind them. (or google 'la machine ottawa' and you'll find all sorts of pictures and coverage. The city rather fell in love with these visitors. A large majority of people I've talked to this week got down to see them at one point or another)

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Got told today that people in my office thought i was 22-25. Lmfao! But also, yay! Genes from my grandmother on my father's side are expressing themselves! If i age like her, i will look 10-30 yrs younger than i am the rest of my life.

lille

I finally got up the guts to ask for a raise (not easy for a people pleaser with social anxiety). I felt like I was going to cry or throw up but I got a 10% raise.