What Are You Listening To? Redux

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

waldo

This young woman is incredible (thanks to the person who pointed her out on another thread some time back). This was her at age 16 belting out an Adele classic:

Last edited:

waldo

Over 10,000 posts later, and I suppose this one has already made the list; but here it is again! When this band hit the scene in 1985, I was a kid; and I actually didn't like their music (I had friends who were gaga over it). I learned to appreciate them more and more as the years went by! They are certainly top 10 (probably top 5) in the list of best ever hard rock bands for sure!

Last edited:

waldo

I wonder if any younger people (like under 35) are even watching this thread........... Well kids, in the evwent that any of yoyu are doing so: there is something known an the 'Unholy Trinity' and includes the British rock bands Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple. Here is Deep Purple from ytheir 1984 'reunion' with the original cast from when they first made it big. If this

I wonder if any younger people (like under 35) are even watching this thread........... Well kids, in the event that any of you are doing so: there is something known as the 'Unholy Trinity' and includes the British rock bands Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple. Here is Deep Purple from their 1984 'reunion' with the original cast from when they first made it big:

Last edited:

Donna

Definitely NOT Jolly
Listening to nothing but cover songs for a day or so now, preparing for my friend’s radio show tonight. All cover tunes. I used to do a similar theme show when I was a solo DJ, but mine was “Come Under the Covers With Me”. Tonight’s show is “The Undercover Show”

This is one of the best cover songs I know; Nightwish covering Gary Moore’s Over the Hills. The drums alone on this send chills up my spine. Add in Tarja’s soaring vocal and it’s just WOW.

D9EF8578-221C-4D64-BFC9-B0A154EB3EAD.jpeg

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Donna, I don't know the original to compare with, but that is wonderful!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have been without a working turn table for a while, but last Christmas I picked up one of cheap those portable ones (plug in, but built in speakers with tinny sound, folds up in a box with a carry handle). I finally realized that on working from home days I can bring it up by my desk and play LPs -- my wife and I both have a number from our teenage years, most of which have hardly been touched in decades.

Some have NOT held up well. Some teenage crushes are best left to memory! But a few have kept going back on the turn table because they still move me.

One of those is the one and only (I think?) LP from The Pukka Orchestra. They were FM radio hits in my part of the world in about 83-84, before things happened and they came apart.

In honor of Donna's post above about covers, here is the one cover on the record, their cover of Tom Robinson's "Listen to the Radio" (ummm, it is better if you _don't_ watch the video, very definitely low budget low production values early 80s video. Just pretend you are listening to the radio instead)

waldo

Listening to nothing but cover songs for a day or so now, preparing for my friend’s radio show tonight. All cover tunes. I used to do a similar theme show when I was a solo DJ, but mine was “Come Under the Covers With Me”. Tonight’s show is “The Undercover Show”

This is one of the best cover songs I know; Nightwish covering Gary Moore’s Over the Hills. The drums alone on this send chills up my spine. Add in Tarja’s soaring vocal and it’s just WOW.

View attachment 151484

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread going with a variety of great music, as it sure does my poor soul some good!!
I ran across another excellent cover with a female singer versus the original male singer. With all due respect to the great Mr. Steve Perry, I think this young woman (who looks like Big Cutie Skylar's thinner sister) did a hell of a job on this version which I prefer over the original! The leg kick at the 1:10 mark is amazing in itself (apparently very flexible):

Last edited:

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
The calendar still insists it's summer, but some of us know better...

Latest posts