What Are You Listening To? Redux

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

waldo

I'm a fool.

Patsy was probably the best female vocalist of all time!! Her tone is untouchable...............

Here is a song from the '70s that I feel so much addresses the troubles of our current times, with nihilism and narcissism running amok and driving our society into the abyss. We need to get back to basics just as the great Ronnie Van Zant describes here!!

Last edited:

waldo

This song from a Nov 2010 album release has a nice groove; and I think the lyrics, especially the chorus are pretty profound.
"Want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world
Like I'm the only one that you'll ever love
Like I'm the only one who knows your heart
Only girl in the world
Like I'm the only one that's in command
'Cause I'm the only one who understands
How to make you feel like a man, yeah"

Sounds like what most any gal would desire (not that I know anything)...............

This song from a Nov 2010 album release has a nice groove; and I think the lyrics, especially the chorus are pretty profound.
"Want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world
Like I'm the only one that you'll ever love
Like I'm the only one who knows your heart
Only girl in the world
Like I'm the only one that's in command
'Cause I'm the only one who understands
How to make you feel like a man, yeah"

Sounds like what most any gal would desire (not that I know anything)...............

Yeah, I like that sound of that, but maybe not "the only one that's in command" line.

waldo

Yeah, I like that sound of that, but maybe not "the only one that's in command" line.
I went back and listened again after reading your post. At the end of the 1st verse, she says: " I wanna make you beg for it and I'm gonna make you swallow your pride". Then in the 2nd verse she says "And when you answer you ain't leavin', be my prisoner for the night".
Seems like shades of dominatrix type stuff in there. So I suppose it's a mixed bag, but I still think the chorus is mostly 'positive' in terms of 'her' wanting 'him' to think she is the greatest..... Any other thoughts??

I went back and listened again after reading your post. At the end of the 1st verse, she says: " I wanna make you beg for it and I'm gonna make you swallow your pride". Then in the 2nd verse she says "And when you answer you ain't leavin', be my prisoner for the night".
Seems like shades of dominatrix type stuff in there. So I suppose it's a mixed bag, but I still think the chorus is mostly 'positive' in terms of 'her' wanting 'him' to think she is the greatest..... Any other thoughts??
Oh, I agree, it's most definitely supposed to be seen in a positive light.

I guess my issue with a couple of the lines is that control aspect.
Yes, I do see a possible link to a dom/sub situation (which is something else entirely, and almost always consensual), but I can't help but wonder how it would be received if it were a male singing these lines in reference to a female.

Regardless, who doesn't want to feel like they're the only one in the world when it comes to their partner? That's how it should be IMO.

Just my take. :)

Last edited:

waldo

Oh, I agree, it's most definitely supposed to be seen in a positive light.

I guess my issue with a couple of the lines is that control aspect.
Yes, I do see a possible link to a dom/sub situation (which is something else entirely, and almost always consensual), but I can't help but wonder how it would be received if it were a male singing these lines in reference to a female.

Regardless, who doesn't want to feel like they're the only one in the world when it comes to their partner? That's how it should be IMO.

Just my take. :)
Yeah it seems we pretty much agree that this song's lyrics really are a mixed bag of dom/sub and just expressing that desire to be the ONE. It is cool how comparing notes on a song (poem, novel, etc) and what lines stand out can help a person get a better understanding of the piece. I have always been a numbers guy and this is a side that is really underdeveloped for me. Thanks!!
Well here is one that is dripping with innuendo and at the time (1981) went right over my naive 12 year old head. Pretty classy song by today's standards, and the lead (Anita) really nails it just with that look in her eyes:

Latest posts