What are you making?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
So, I was super excited to have yesterday off and a three day weekend. Yay! And a little surprised to be so exhausted by about one o'clock in the afternoon that I just had to lay down for a quick nap. Eight hours later I woke up. With a cold. Which explains why I was so tired, and also why I'm up in the middle of the night cooking.

So far I've made salmon, green beans, and cauliflower chowder with pancetta, marjoram and a little montamore cheese. Technically, I think it might not be chowder anymore, since I added the cheese.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
i have no idea. :( i have boneless skinless chicken out and have to find something to make. have you ever just been sick of everything?

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
i have no idea. :( i have boneless skinless chicken out and have to find something to make. have you ever just been sick of everything?

Just brainstorming for you – I don’t know what else you have at hand, what you normally make (so are bored of), and what you all like.

- Chicken tacos (if you have either hard or soft taco shells, and other ingredients)
- Shred/chop the chicken once cooked and make chicken based dirty rice
- Cut it into strips, make a honey/mustard/(white wine or water) sauce to coat them in, then bake
- Cut into strips, coat in yoghurt with a bit of mustard mixed in, then coat in crushed corn-flakes, bake
- Make up a mild curry sauce and cook it in that, then serve over rice
- Cut it into thin strips, fry it up, then put strips into grilled cheese sandwiches
- Chicken nachos
- Bake them, cut them into halves the hard way (getting two thinner halves), then make fun chicken burgers by putting cheese in the middle and bun on the outside
- Stir fry up with some broccoli – simple but always delicious!
- Go right to putting it into a soup
- Chicken chili

I hope I helped spark your imagination in some way.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
Just brainstorming for you – I don’t know what else you have at hand, what you normally make (so are bored of), and what you all like.

- Chicken tacos (if you have either hard or soft taco shells, and other ingredients)
- Shred/chop the chicken once cooked and make chicken based dirty rice
- Cut it into strips, make a honey/mustard/(white wine or water) sauce to coat them in, then bake
- Cut into strips, coat in yoghurt with a bit of mustard mixed in, then coat in crushed corn-flakes, bake
- Make up a mild curry sauce and cook it in that, then serve over rice
- Cut it into thin strips, fry it up, then put strips into grilled cheese sandwiches
- Chicken nachos
- Bake them, cut them into halves the hard way (getting two thinner halves), then make fun chicken burgers by putting cheese in the middle and bun on the outside
- Stir fry up with some broccoli – simple but always delicious!
- Go right to putting it into a soup
- Chicken chili

I hope I helped spark your imagination in some way.

we ended up having tacos tonight, so have to use the chicken tomorrow. your ideas were wonderful! thanks! i am going to try the dirty rice thing. will let you know how it turns out.

MsBrightside

my aunt sent me a recipe for Cincinnati style chili. apparently there is cinnamon in it. i am not sure how it will be, but gonna try it.

I'm curious how this turned out--I've never put cinnamon in chili before. :eek:

I made banana cake with cream cheese frosting and walnuts; all from scratch. It's a simple recipe, but very tasty. :)

jcas50

Liberal Scum
my aunt sent me a recipe for Cincinnati style chili. apparently there is cinnamon in it. i am not sure how it will be, but gonna try it.

I've been making Cincinnati Chili for thirty years. It has a blizzard of spices; allspice, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, turmeric, a bay leaf, mace, marjoram, coriander, honey, paprika, ground black pepper, ketchup, garlic, unsweetened chocolate, chili powder, salt, onions, red wine vinegar and water. The beef should be as finely ground as you can get it. You can add tomato juice if it is too dry. Bottom layer - the thickest spaghetti you can find. then the chili, then raw chopped onions, then red kidney beans, then heap on a huge crown of finely grated cheddar cheese. enjoy.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
the chili was bold. the recipe i had used some of the spices jcas50 mentions. i left the bay leaf out. i don't like the flavor. my recipe also used baking cocoa instead of unsweetened chocolate. it has Worcestershire sauce in it as well. i made the chili with the beans in it and only topped with the chopped onions and cheese. it was interesting to try. hub liked it so may do it again some day.

tad, on the chicken night i did try a chicken dirty rice thing. i bought one of those spice mixtures. it was a little spicy for me, but hub loved it. thanks for the inspiration.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
today i made banana bread. we had some tonight for dessert after dinner. big ol' slab of butter on it. so good!

MsBrightside

the chili was bold. the recipe i had used some of the spices jcas50 mentions. i left the bay leaf out. i don't like the flavor. my recipe also used baking cocoa instead of unsweetened chocolate. it has Worcestershire sauce in it as well. i made the chili with the beans in it and only topped with the chopped onions and cheese. it was interesting to try. hub liked it so may do it again some day.
Sounds intriguing, but I'm too lazy to measure out that many spices! I agree with you about the bay leaf.

Someone asked me for the banana cake recipe, so here it is. :) The texture is really more of a cross between cake and banana bread, so this recipe may not satisy a true cake afficionado. The cream cheese frosting is really good, though!

Banana "Cake"
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 and 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 c. (about 2 large/3 small) mashed ripe bananas
1/2 c. walnuts (optional)

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 c. butter
1 and 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
(this amount of frosting is enough to cover one 9" x 13" cake)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease your baking pan (I floured it as well, but that's probably overkill). Cream the butter and the sugar, beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients, then stir into the wet batter. Mix in the mashed banana (when I make banana bread, I always add the bananas to the wet mixture, but this way works, too), spread it into the pan, and bake 20-25 min (10" x 15" jellyroll pan) or 30 min (9" x 13" pan), or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting, then sprinkle on 1/2 c. walnuts if desired.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
Chicken with peri peri sauce (spicy!), collards and hand cut fries.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Shrimp prepared in a wonderful tomato sauce. I generally use Hunts (no salt added)- prefer to add my own spices: oregano, crushed garlic and fresh basil.
And
Cheesy grits

Tracyarts

6 trays of beef jerky going in the dehydrator. The fan is really spreading the delicious smell around the house. It's like a meat aromatherapy diffuser!

Fall themed apple pie:eat2:

picture.php

I made pumpkin spice chocolate chip cookies yesterday, they were delicious! Sounds a little weird, I know, but the combination really does taste good.

Latest posts