What are you nerds reading these days?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ODFFA

Currently reading 'The Nymphos of Rocky Flats' which is an urban fantasy novel about a vampire detective.

I recently finished 'the nightmare stacks' which is the most recent chapter in the laundry files.

Though right now. I am having to stave off a pooch trying to climb into my lap.
Because even though he's got no time for me if there are more interesting people around... We are apparently thunder buddies for life.

ETA.

When you hear the sound of thunder,
don't you get too scared
Just grab your thunder buddy,

and say these magic words:
F**k you, Thunder! You can suck my d!!k
You can't get me,Thunder,
because you're just God's farts
THRRRRRP
Google helped me remember where I'd heard that song before. ⊂(・(ェ)・)⊃
It would've plagued me all day otherwise.

Crumbling

Distilled Evil
Google helped me remember where I'd heard that song before. ⊂(・(ェ)・)⊃
It would've plagued me all day otherwise.
He can take me or leave me most of the time. He's never quite forgiven me for leaving him with my mother for a month while I eloped. I'm definitely the boss... but he loves Mrs.C and my mother better... (they don't ever get stuck with jobs that upset him like brushing, dematting or pulling ticks)

But when he's afraid or upset, He likes to climb up into my lap and do simple maths on the numberpad... I think it calms him.

ODFFA

He can take me or leave me most of the time. He's never quite forgiven me for leaving him with my mother for a month while I eloped. I'm definitely the boss... but he loves Mrs.C and my mother better... (they don't ever get stuck with jobs that upset him like brushing, dematting or pulling ticks)

But when he's afraid or upset, He likes to climb up into my lap and do simple maths on the numberpad... I think it calms him.
Wise puppy. Keep that brain busy so it can't catastrophise.

I can very much relate to this scenario. My 2 little Jackschunds, who happen to have that same colouring, side-eye me like asshole cats when I try to pay them attention. Until either I have enticing human food, or it's the apocalypse ( = thunder/fireworks).

As for reading, I'm currently on The Six Pillars Of Self-Esteem by Nathaniel Branden. It's a very pleasant surprise so far. Neither trite & clichéd, nor too fanatically objectivist. I'm getting a lot from it :happy:

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I just finished The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins. It was an unusual mix of (to me) good and bad. I guess you could call it somewhere between urban fantasy, a super-hero story, and a non-religious take on the book of Revelations. Some of the world building I found suspect, there were a few plot holes, a bit of deus ex machina near the end .... but on the other hand some great writing, laugh out loud moments, strongly etched characters who I quickly came to care about, a mystery that keeps most of the book moving along, and some quite original bits of both world building and scene building.

Ultimately the use of strong writing talents in service of some rather violent and gory scenes put me in the 'maybe I'd have preferred not to have read it' because a lot of scenes have been stuck in my head since, and overall I'd rather they weren't. But if you don't mind reading a bit in first person where someone is finding out just how a lion that wants revenge will kill your POV character, or having characters observe that the gore on the china cabinet appeared to mostly be bits of lung, the strengths of the book may outweigh the negatives for you -- there really is a lot of good in there.

kittymahlberg

Talk nerdy to me! I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Though my only copy of a Harry Potter book is the first volume . . . in Latin. :D

landshark

Happy to be part of Dims!
I was on a road trip the other day and stopped in a B&N to get a Starbuck's. On a whim I stopped by the new releases to see if there was anything new from Harlan Coben on the shelf. His latest, "Fool me Once" just happened to be there. I'll be getting started on it right away!

bigmac

Just finished Beautiful Struggle by Ta-Nehisi Coates. An excellent coming of age memoir.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Talk nerdy to me! I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Though my only copy of a Harry Potter book is the first volume . . . in Latin. :D
I found a lot of interesting bits in Cryptonomicon, but it was such a sprawl of a book I also got aggravated by it .... I hope you have more patience for the diversions and side stories than I did!

kittymahlberg

I found a lot of interesting bits in Cryptonomicon, but it was such a sprawl of a book I also got aggravated by it .... I hope you have more patience for the diversions and side stories than I did!
Yeah, it's definitely a picaresque novel in the old style. You have to enjoy that sort of thing. But you're talking to the gal who zipped through War and Peace and loved every minute! I guess for me, books like that are almost a cross between a novel and a short story collection, and therefore easy to dip in and out of. That said, the length alone is intimidating! But I enjoyed Anathem, which was a similar length, and also not super tightly structured.

Sasquatch!

A wild loser appeared!
Trainee wizard police officer solving mysteries, f***ing rivers, seducing vamp-gina monster girls and fighting Old Boy Evil Wizard (tm) books.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
I just finished the most recent novel in "The Laundry File" series and now need more suggestions. Halp!

djudex

I'm out
Talk nerdy to me! I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.
I LOVE Neil Stephenson. Snow Crash got me to fall in love with sci fi/fiction. :wubu:
Right now I'm reading REAmDe, someone got me all up in its business :p

I'd have to agree with you Tad, Neil Stephenson is a very wordy fella. He diverts into strangely detailed backstories and tangents that really don't have a lot to do with the plot and serve no purpose other than to pad things up. Still, it's been a good read so far!

Latest posts