What are you unhappy about today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

LeoGibson

Happy
I feel like have a really American first world problem here.

I finally got my concealed carry license and have discovered that I have too much belly. I cannot figure out how the hell I am going to be able to carry, except for small ankle holster pistols.

Problem One
To comfortably wear inside my waist band, I have to go from 52 inch waist pants to a 54-56. Standing, I can wear 54s somewhat comfortably, but when I sit and my belly smooshes out, it stabs into me way too hard. 56's help alleviate it significantly.

Problem Two
Assuming I am wearing pants that fit, when I sit down, my side rolls hang on top of the pistol and it's extremely uncomfortable

Problem Three
Outside waistband holster means I can carry more comfortably, but the problem is that big guys have a really hard time hiding the "imprint" of the gun, meaning that others can very clearly see I have a pistol on me, unless I want to wear shirts that look like mumus on me. Along with that is the same problem, when I sit down, my belly side fat hangs onto the gun and it hurts!

Ankle holster might be my only way, sucks cause it requires a smaller gun and I am not exactly fast at bending down to my ankles.

I don't know if you wear a suit jacket or not, but perhaps a shoulder holster. You could maybe get by with a light windbreaker, but that might be a tad hot in the summer months.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
I'm curious why you're going to carry a gun in the first place.
Is it a job thing? Or a personal protection thing?

I'm Canadian, this is interesting to me. Haha.

I finally got my concealed carry license and have discovered that I have too much belly. I cannot figure out how the hell I am going to be able to carry, except for small ankle holster pistols.

Problem One
To comfortably wear inside my waist band, I have to go from 52 inch waist pants to a 54-56. Standing, I can wear 54s somewhat comfortably, but when I sit and my belly smooshes out, it stabs into me way too hard. 56's help alleviate it significantly.

Problem Two
Assuming I am wearing pants that fit, when I sit down, my side rolls hang on top of the pistol and it's extremely uncomfortable

Problem Three
Outside waistband holster means I can carry more comfortably, but the problem is that big guys have a really hard time hiding the "imprint" of the gun, meaning that others can very clearly see I have a pistol on me, unless I want to wear shirts that look like mumus on me. Along with that is the same problem, when I sit down, my belly side fat hangs onto the gun and it hurts!

Ankle holster might be my only way, sucks cause it requires a smaller gun and I am not exactly fast at bending down to my ankles.

Gingembre

radar detector
I'm curious why you're going to carry a gun in the first place.
Is it a job thing? Or a personal protection thing?

I'm Canadian, this is interesting to me. Haha.

Snap! Except I'm British. Why would you want to carry a gun anyway? But especially if it's uncomfortable/going to require a new wardrobe - why bother? Are you planning to actually use the thing?

BigChaz

His Eggy Roundness
I go hunting and fishing on my own a lot and I'd like to legally be able to carry while I am out by myself to protect from both human and animal threat.

I also work in an area that has an awesome statistic. Working / living in this area means that within 1 year, 1 in 13 people will have a violent crime committed against them.

Do I walk around constantly thinking I am under threat? Nope. Am I going to carry all the time? Nope, again. However, I would like to be able to keep a pistol in my car for those late nights I am downtown at 9:00PM in a rough side of town where three people held the store next door to my office hostage at gunpoint while they stole everything.

I consider myself a pretty ideal person you want carrying. I'm not a gun nut conservative crazy person (I'm very liberal, just into guns), I have no delusions of grandeur, etc. I knew getting a CCW I was not prepared for what it would be like to have a real life situation or encounter that I might need to use a firearm. Knowing that, I have been taking classes and training for the past few months in peaceful conflict resolution, deadly conflict resolution, adrenalin training, marksman training, and tons of legal stuff.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Top reasons for a BHM to carry a gun:

5. Guy at the drive thru forgot to biggie-size your order twice last month
4. Universal remote control—you’ll never have to get up to turn off the TV again!
3. Gives you an answer to “What, you going to make me do that? You’d have to catch me first!”
2. Pull it out and watch their face when someone jokes “What have you got stashed in your belly-button?”
1. Necessary component of your “Fat Elvis” costume

(all joking aside, I look forward to hearing Chaz’s answer—I’m curious too)

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
Great answer. You seem like the ideal gun owner if there's such a thing.

Thanks!

I go hunting and fishing on my own a lot and I'd like to legally be able to carry while I am out by myself to protect from both human and animal threat.

I also work in an area that has an awesome statistic. Working / living in this area means that within 1 year, 1 in 13 people will have a violent crime committed against them.

Do I walk around constantly thinking I am under threat? Nope. Am I going to carry all the time? Nope, again. However, I would like to be able to keep a pistol in my car for those late nights I am downtown at 9:00PM in a rough side of town where three people held the store next door to my office hostage at gunpoint while they stole everything.

I consider myself a pretty ideal person you want carrying. I'm not a gun nut conservative crazy person (I'm very liberal, just into guns), I have no delusions of grandeur, etc. I knew getting a CCW I was not prepared for what it would be like to have a real life situation or encounter that I might need to use a firearm. Knowing that, I have been taking classes and training for the past few months in peaceful conflict resolution, deadly conflict resolution, adrenalin training, marksman training, and tons of legal stuff.

MsBrightside

I have no experience handling guns myself and wouldn't feel comfortable having one of my own, but two members of my immmediate family have been held up at gunpoint (one in Springfield, Illinois, which is not exactly crime central of the US, and one in a motel parking lot in Mississippi), so I am glad that you have taken steps to protect yourself from this sort of thing. It really can happen anywhere.

Archetypus

Problem One

Problem Two

Problem Three

I found that carrying in the small of my back was the ideal solution. I tried ankle carry, but it always threw me off balance. Shoulder holster can work, just wear it under any shirt, but on top of an undershirt to avoid chafing. Check your local laws though, as shoulder holsters can be illegal in some states.

BigChaz

His Eggy Roundness
I found that carrying in the small of my back was the ideal solution. I tried ankle carry, but it always threw me off balance. Shoulder holster can work, just wear it under any shirt, but on top of an undershirt to avoid chafing. Check your local laws though, as shoulder holsters can be illegal in some states.

I havn't tried the small of my back yet, except for a few minutes. I'll have to give that more of a go.

x0emnem0x

Words.
I missed my doctors appointment that I thought was today. Apparently it was yesterday. I've been trying to get into a new doctors office for 6+ months. I was seeing another doctor once before she left and that appointment I was told I needed to find a new PCP, and ever since then I have been trying to get an appointment with this new doctor. Which has been near impossible because I am a "new patient". I have insurance, I am more than willing to at this point to meet at the earliest convenience. Every time I have had to reschedule I've had to wait 3 more months. My mother also sees this doctor, which is why I have been trying to see her, I was told she is a good doctor, but I would be willing to see whoever is available, as I have no Primary Care doctor (my previous PCP ended up retiring or something a few years ago and I just have been going to Prompt Care when needed) and the doctor I've been trying to see was going to be my new PCP. They told me I had to reschedule my last appointment because she was out of town 3 months ago and now, apparently I missed my appointment yesterday because I thought it was today. I didn't know the office was closed on weekends. I am desperately trying to get in so I can get help with my depression and anxiety, and I've been having to wait 3 months at a time. I honestly cannot believe I missed my appointment, as realizing this caused me to have terrible anxiety today, but I am trying very hard to be patient and get in to see her. I have been really struggling and have never tried medication before, I've been wanting to take this route and see if it can help me. This depression has been very crippling lately and is effecting me at work. It just stinks. But that is my day so far, of course after laying around on my couch for 2 hours after I realized I missed my appointment yesterday... just sucks. I took off work today in advance to, to be able to go to this appointment, which now doesn't matter.

MsBrightside

Having to get back into the being single/dating scene. It is...not a great scene.
It does sound rough out there; I hope things start looking up for you.

I missed my doctors appointment that I thought was today. Apparently it was yesterday. I've been trying to get into a new doctors office for 6+ months. I was seeing another doctor once before she left and that appointment I was told I needed to find a new PCP, and ever since then I have been trying to get an appointment with this new doctor. Which has been near impossible because I am a "new patient". I have insurance, I am more than willing to at this point to meet at the earliest convenience. Every time I have had to reschedule I've had to wait 3 more months. My mother also sees this doctor, which is why I have been trying to see her, I was told she is a good doctor, but I would be willing to see whoever is available, as I have no Primary Care doctor (my previous PCP ended up retiring or something a few years ago and I just have been going to Prompt Care when needed) and the doctor I've been trying to see was going to be my new PCP. They told me I had to reschedule my last appointment because she was out of town 3 months ago and now, apparently I missed my appointment yesterday because I thought it was today. I didn't know the office was closed on weekends. I am desperately trying to get in so I can get help with my depression and anxiety, and I've been having to wait 3 months at a time. I honestly cannot believe I missed my appointment, as realizing this caused me to have terrible anxiety today, but I am trying very hard to be patient and get in to see her. I have been really struggling and have never tried medication before, I've been wanting to take this route and see if it can help me. This depression has been very crippling lately and is effecting me at work. It just stinks. But that is my day so far, of course after laying around on my couch for 2 hours after I realized I missed my appointment yesterday... just sucks. I took off work today in advance to, to be able to go to this appointment, which now doesn't matter.
Sorry you missed your appointment; I hope that you can get another one soon. But if her office puts you off again, maybe you could try to get an appointment with another doctor, too? If you get in somewhere else sooner and like that doctor enough to choose him/her as your PCP, you could always cancel the appointment with your mom's physician; but at least you'd have a back-up if you need it.

x0emnem0x

Words.
Sorry you missed your appointment; I hope that you can get another one soon. But if her office puts you off again, maybe you could try to get an appointment with another doctor, too? If you get in somewhere else sooner and like that doctor enough to choose him/her as your PCP, you could always cancel the appointment with your mom's physician; but at least you'd have a back-up if you need it.

Yeah they have a request form for requesting appointments on this website, so I did that and it asks who you would be willing to see and I basically said I would see anyone, even her nurse or another doctor in the same practice/building. So hopefully they can get me in with someone sooner than later... I'm still really bummed about it. Yesterday was bad but today is only a little better.

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
My (much) younger little sister is in her teenage years and is experiencing depression along with all the hormonal stuff. She put on FB she wanted to kill herself and her friends called the cops to check on her.

I want to help but I suck at helping for things like this. I'm a really driven, factual person, so I find saying the comforting things that you are supposed to say really, really hollow and unhelpful. I'd rather give suggestions or support on actions she wanted to take - but that isn't where she is right now.

The main thing is that due to circumstances her childhood sucked. She isn't ready to 'adult' yet - whereas I started 'adulting' at 13. I feel like any suggestions I could make or context I can offer will make it worse!

I'm going to have a girls weekend with her, and just go out and shoot the shit with her and listen to her teen angst and just...be there. Just so she knows, that I am there for her...seems so hollow!!!! :doh:

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
My (much) younger little sister is in her teenage years and is experiencing depression along with all the hormonal stuff. She put on FB she wanted to kill herself and her friends called the cops to check on her.

I want to help but I suck at helping for things like this. I'm a really driven, factual person, so I find saying the comforting things that you are supposed to say really, really hollow and unhelpful. I'd rather give suggestions or support on actions she wanted to take - but that isn't where she is right now.

The main thing is that due to circumstances her childhood sucked. She isn't ready to 'adult' yet - whereas I started 'adulting' at 13. I feel like any suggestions I could make or context I can offer will make it worse!

I'm going to have a girls weekend with her, and just go out and shoot the shit with her and listen to her teen angst and just...be there. Just so she knows, that I am there for her...seems so hollow!!!! :doh:

That's always a rough kind of situation; I get what you mean about certain sentiments feeling empty, because they can't really do shit. Hormones are hormones. Would it be out of line to suggest therapy or something where she could vent freely? Or you could always introduce her to Sartre/Camus/Nietzsche and company. Existentialism can be comforting to the angsty teenage soul (potential con: you then have a teenage Existentialist on your hands.)

I hope your weekend goes well! If she's not too inundated with brain chemicals, it should mean a lot to her that you even tried to reach out.

Latest posts